Ace UK: Chartbusters Vol.2 (1963-1969)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

I puchased this CD on Wednesday evening and after two listenings I feel that the CD is worthy of a thread here. As with most Ace comps there are some real gems in the line-up. It comes with a 27 page booklet that is rich in information on the track selections. The CD was mastered by Duncan Cowell. Audible tape hiss is present on most tracks. The catalog number is CDCHD 832.

Here is the track line-up and some listening notes:

1) Good Lovin'--Young Rascals (Stereo) 1966

Initially, I would have preferred the Mono mix but, this mastering of the Stereo mix is very well done. The drums are more pronounced and there is more bass than other mastered versions of the Stereo mix. This hit was recorded "live" in the studio with no overdubs.

2) Spooky--Classics IV (Stereo) 1967

The best version of this classic that I have heard, It sounds less muffled (like a veil has been lifted) than previous versions that I have purchased. There is more deep low-end and well defined instrument placement. The Sax solo simply jumps out. More dynamic range than any version that I have heard.

3) Summer In The City--Lovin' Spoonful (Stereo) 1966

This version is a tad bright on the high-end but, the low end sounds very natural and warm, almost tubey. I learned from the liner notes that Roy Halee engineered the recording session and that he obtained the unique drum sound by placing a "mic" in a stairwell at Columbia's studios in New York City. He called it a "wow" sound.

4) Little Girl--Syndicate of Sound (Stereo) 1966

The best version of this mid 60's classic that I have heard. Definitely, more mid and low bass than other versions and the mid-range is just right.

5) Louie, Louie--Kingsmen (Mono) 1963

Good low end....the rest is, of course, just the sound of Louie, Louie!

6) You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'--Righteous Bros. (Stereo) 1964

The best Stereo version that I have heard. The drums have more bite like the Mono. The vocals sound more upfront. Because of the mastering it sounds slightly less "wet" than the other Stereo version in my collection. It has more "power" than any Stereo version that I have heard.

7) Harlem Shuffle--Bob & Earl (Stereo) 1963

Same great sounding Stereo version that Ace used on an earlier comp.

8) Dancing In The Street--Martha & the Vandellas (Stereo) 1964

I must own at least 10 different versions of this classic in Stereo and at least 2 in Mono all mastered by different people. This is, quite simply, the best version that I have ever heard. There is more of the circa mid 60's mid and low bass (it sounds more fat) and the rest of the frequencies are well balanced. Martha's vocals sound more upfront. Universal, are you listening?

9) Classical Gas--Mason Williams (Stereo) 1968

10) Mr. Bojangles--Jerry Jeff Walker (Mono single mix) 1968

The original Mr. Bojangles, sounds just like the 45.

11) Mr. Tamborine Man--Bryds (original Stereo mix) 1965

Wow!, I had forgotten how much this mix resembles the Mono 45 mix after getting used to the remix. From the opening guitar line, I had smile on my face. The sound is well balanced and the mix has the more "hot" feel of the Mono mix. According to the liner notes this song broke on KYA in San Francisco.

12) Baby Don't Go--Sonny & Cher (Mono) 1965

Less drenched in reverb than other versions that I have heard. More dynamic and Cher's vocals are more upfront as a result. I actually like this song better because it is more sonically pleasing to listen to.

13) Liar, Liar--Castaways (Stereo) 1965

In the past, I never much cared for the Stereo mix, that is, until I heard this version. More middle, more deep bass, more dynamic and definitely more fat sounding like the Mono. Beats the pants off the "Rhinophonic" sounding versions I have heard.

14) Mission: Impossible--Lalo Schifrin (Stere) 1968

15) Cara-Lin--Strangeloves (Stereo) 1965

Big "I Want Candy" sound and the follow-up that did not sell as well.

16) Somebody To Love--Jefferson Airplane (Stereo) 1967

I was very surprised by the sound of this version. It has more mid and low bass than I anticipated and beats the RCA Gold disc that I have. More than other Stereo version that I own, this version reminds me more of the sound of the 45 all those years ago. BMG needs to listen to the mastering on this track. Maybe I can talk Ace into including White Rabbit on Volume 3.

17) Polk Salad Annie--Tony Joe White (Stereo) 1969

The signature "Four" is chopped off the mix on this version but other than that small disappointment this version is sonically pleasing with a "fat" low end.

18) Magic Carpet Ride--Steppenwolf (Stereo) 1968

There is audible tape hiss during the fade up opening. The sound is well defined and balanced. The bass is strong and upfront but lacks the very deep bass as mastered by Steve on the Vintage series. It is sonically pleasing, none the less. The liner notes indicate that the 45 version has a different vocal--the guide vocal from the demo.

19) I Can't Believe What You Say--Ike & Tina Turner (Mono) 1964

20) Judy In Disguise--John Fred & his Playboy Band (full Stereo mix) 1967

My other version is a combo Mono/Stereo mix on a Dick Bartley On The Radio series. I like this version better because the clarity of the vocals is better, it is more dynamic and it has a more "fat" low end like the Mono single mix. The double tracked vocals in the middle of the song add a fun effect.

21) Watermelon Man--Mongo Santamaria (Stereo single edit) 1963

A definite "nice to have" (Stereo single edit) and very sonically pleasing.

22) Love's Made A Fool Of You--Bobby Fuller Four (Stereo) 1966

Has that definite Bob Keane sound. I had always thought that Bobby had died in a traffic accident but, in the liner notes, I learned that he died as result of a brutal beating where he was made to ingest gasoline. The sound on this version is very good.

23) Sunny--Boby Hebb (Stereo) 1966

Sounds very pleasing with more low-end than most versions that I have heard. The vocals are not quite as good as the version mastered by Dennis Drake. Has the Mono sound but only in Stereo, a good middle, in other words.

24) Batman Theme--Neal Hefti and his Orchestra (Stereo) 1966

25) Bread And Butter--Newbeats (Stereo) 1964

A fine mastering but, the Stereo mix is exccessively "wet" with the vocals not upfront enough in the mix. I wish they had included the Mono single mix instead. Nothing wrong with the mastering of this Stereo mix, but it does not have the feel of the "dryer" Mono single version.

26) The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)--Jan & Dean (Stereo) 1964

This is the original Stereo mix versus the remix made a few years ago. It sounds pleasing and is well balanced with more low-end than other versions that I have in my collection. Less mid-rangy than a few versions that I have heard.

27) Time Of The Season--Zombies (Mono single mix) 1969

Finally, I have the Mono single mix, as I remember this classic, on CD. A must to have in Mono with a less "wet" sound and the instrument placement upfront and more powerful, especially, the organ solo at the break. Sounds like a mint copy of the 45 in terms of sound.

28) Road Runner--Gants (Mono single mix) 1965

Another "great to have" and it sounds the way I remember it. The Stereo version cannot match the shear power of the Mono mix and it is exccessively "wet". Great mid and deep bass in this version with a more natural, solid midrange just like the 45. Highly recommended!

29) Elenore--Turtles (Stereo) 1968

Sonically pleasing mastering but nothing trully notable about this version either.

I highly recommend this CD for those of you seeking special, unique and great sounding versions of these classics!

Bob

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob,

Before anyone jumps on ya, let me just say that there isn't an original stereo mix of "Mr. Tambourine Man". That was mono for 20 years until the late Bob Hyde got involved. That has to be a modern mix.

Also, "Good Lovin" has an overdub or two on it. Give a listen, there are two guitars on the song and they only had one player...

Interesting package. Glad the Brits know what they are doing!

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

That's a mighty fine collection o' tunes!

4. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I had always thought that Mr. Tamborine Man was mixed to Stereo many years ago. I believe I have it in Stereo on an old LP from the 70's and on a CD from the 80's, unless my memory is failing me, which is possible as I have not listened to the LP in years!. I guess I am referring to that earlier Stereo mix versus the more recent remix completed for the Byrds re-masters, which defintely sounds different than this mix.

With regard to Good Lovin' I was merely quoting the liner notes. It is possible that they had a guest second guitarist on the session? or the liner notes are simply incorrect..good pick-up!

Bob :)

5. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

Mr. Tambourine Man is in mono on the old Columbia stereo LP (and companion CD).

There were two remixes in the late 1980s, both done by Bob Irwin I think. The first one, was very narrow stereo, done with Roger (Jim) McGuinn for that Bob Hyde project. The second (wide) mix was done later and sounds more authentic. But, the sound of the one and only Columbia mono mix is hard to beat, even though it's pretty darn low-fi. It just sounds correct, at least to me. After all, we've heard that same mix since 1965, and I still hear it on the radio all the time. Anything else sounds interesting, but obviously a remix.

Too much hot choc this morning, sorry...

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

No such thing as too much hot choc. "Too much of anything is just enough" - John Barlow

7. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks, obviously, on this one, my memory has not served me well! My old Bryds LP has been packed and sealed in a moving box since 1998. Based on your description of the mixes, the mix on the Ace comp is definitely narrow. The guitar opening is louder than the guitar opening on the remaster completed by Irwin, I believe, for the re-masters released in the mid 90's, as I recall. I was under the impression that those remasters were remixed from the multi-tracks for that project. I did A/B between the two last night. They sound very different sonically (mastering?) and mix is different--hard to describe the exact differences, however. On the Ace comp, it is possible that some additional compression was added and the the highs were EQ'ed up in order to sound more like the original 45, although Ace is not known for adding additional compression.

Thanks again!

Bob

9. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Ace UK: Chartbusters Vol.2 (1963-1969)

10. Re: Re: Re: Ace UK: Chartbusters Vol.2 (1963-1969)

Bob,

I do not have either disks. I'm going to order both today.

John

11. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ace UK: Chartbusters Vol.2 (1963-1969)

John,

Then, I am glad that I was helpful!

Bob

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yep, spead the word about those Ace comps - they always have a ton of tracks, and ol' Duncan Cowell is an up and comer in the mastering realm; he's done several of Ace's comps as well as a bunch of Bear Family's That'll Flat Git It RAB comps - I like his work about as much as Boppin' Bob Jones, another Ace good guy! Mr. Tambourine Man needs another crack at a remix - it never sounds quite right in stereo - maybe some tubey warmth ala Steve??? I think it first showed up on a Byrds rarities set that Bob Hyde slaved over when he ran the record department at Murray Hill (boy, did he dig up some stereo doing those labors of love - he nosed around in the Roulette vailts way before Rhino/EMI got involved). Then Bob Irwin tried again; still needs help, like the Paul Revere remixes (Steve, pleeeeeeease work on a Revere comp, willya???)

13. Bob Lovely

New Oldies comps mastered by SH

Mike,

I will keep spreading the word on Ace!

I think Steve is the right person to master "billions and billions" of new Oldies comps because he knows vintage sound.

14. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

For the envious (myself included), I include this picture of Bob Hyde in the tape vault. What do you all think of the WIDE Stereo mix of Mr. Tambourine Man on Rock'N Roll Relix 1964-1965? I really like it. Maybe it isn't exactly the same as the mono mix...but I ain't complaining! I think Bob Hyde (according to All Music) was involved with the Rock'N Roll Relix Series. Many oldies songs with great sound, for those interested!

Attached Files:

15. Steve Hoffman

Looks like Capitol.

I used the wide mix when I did the Razor & Tie double CD that has Mr. Tambourine Man on it. Damned if I can remember what that set was called. Had a bunch of 1960's folk, protest and hippie music on it.

The only thing I did to the wide mix was fix the top and bottom.

Ah yes, it was called "Changin' Times"!!!

I still play it. Came out great...

16. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve,

I can't recall ever seeing Changin' Times, but I'll definately keep my eyes open for that one!

I believe that IS Capitol's tape vault. Wasn't Bob part of Capitol's Special Markets Division?

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

18. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

The proof for those interested: Track 13 of Dick Bartley's Collector's Essentials: On The Radio Vol. 1 (Varese Sarabande VSD-5846). Very raw-sounding -- vocally and sonically.

19. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Re the Byrds wide Tambourine Man mix...this isn't the same version that's on the current CD, right?

Also, FWIW, I'm pretty sure the first Ace Chartbusters USA comp pinches a few tracks from other sources...most noticably Walk Away Renee, which seems to be identical to the Storm version.

-D

20. Kym

Kym Former Resident

A bit of a drag...

I too got Chartbusters Vol. 2, but is it just me or is that some major TAPE DRAG at the very beginning of The Classics IV's "Spooky"?

21. Bob Lovely

Re: A bit of a drag...

Kym,

That has always been there to my recollection of the number of versions of Spooky that I have, if we are hearing the same thing! My old 45, mastered "hot" and distorted even sounds that way, as I recall.

Bob

22. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I gave Good Lovin' a very close listen last night and, yes, there are two guitars that are never in the same channel. The rhythm guitar is always in the right channel and the very occassional lead guitar is always in the left channel. Rarely do the two play at the same time except in the closing seconds of the song. So, the liner notes may be incorrect about there being no overdubs but, one item of note. In the liner notes, it specifys that Gene Cornish plays a "mean rhythm guitar" versus lead. It is possible that a session player was brought in to play lead on the recording.

Bob

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Bob, Your comments on Somebody To Love bring a few questions to mind:

1) Has anyone bought the newly remastered version of Surrealistic Pillow? How does it compare to that dreadful sounding Gold CD from RCA Bob refers to above? Was Sean Nova involved in its remaster?

2) Have you heard White Rabbit on the comp entitled CLASSIC CALIFORNIA ROCK (Delta 46094)? This CD appeared a few years back, and was the first oldies comp I ever saw that employed 24 bit remastering. The mastering was done by one Sean Nova for BMG. This is far and away the best sounding of any track from *Surrealistic* I've ever heard on any CD. Sean Nova is credited with this remastering project. If anyone is interested in the full track line-up I'll be happy to list it in another post. Sonically, this one ranks right up there with most of Ace's releases.

Tony Joe White's great tune hasn't shown up on too many comps, but the best one I've heard so far appeared on an old WEA CD entitled SWINGIN' COUNTRY FAVORITES (25966-2). There is an interesting percussive strike at 51.5 seconds into the song that hasn't been duplicated on any other CD version I've heard. So my question is, Bob, if you have this CD would you compare this track to the new Ace? As for the "Signature Four" this doesn't appear on any CD version I have, but it's on my LP.

24. Bob Lovely

sgb,

I do not have the Surrealistic Pillow remaster, just the Gold disc (yuck!).

I do not have the Classic California Rock CD either but, now after your post, I wish that I did simply for a better sound on White Rabbit.

Polk Salad Annie: The best version overall that I have is actually on the Rhino Bar-B- Que box. I do not have the WEA disc that you refer to. Not one of Rhino's better known box sets but there are some cool tracks on it including alternate Karaoke mixes of Soul Man by Sam & Dave and Respect by Aretha Franklin. PSA in ths box has the characteristic "Four" spoken intro and sounds pretty good although based on the sound on the Ace comp, I may create my own version on CD-R that includes the "Four". Somewhere, in the collection, I have the Mono single mix on CD. Looks like a search project for the weekend! By the way, what you refer to as a percussion strike, to my ears, has always sounded like a playing error on a guitar. Certainly, it is very noticeable.

25. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

sgb,

I think that "tons" of Classic California Rock CDs were sold about 2 years ago , when someone mentioned it on the BSN website! :D

Tracklisting is as follows:

1.Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In-The 5th Dimension
    2.Happy Together-The Turtles
    3.White Rabbit-Jefferson Airplane
    4.I Think I Love You-The Partridge Family
    5.Little Girl-Syndicate Of Sound
    6.The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down-Joan Baez
    7.Mr. Bojangles-The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    8.Joanne-Michael Nesmith & The First National Band
    9.Easy Come, Easy Go-Bobby Sherman
    10.What The World Needs Now Is Love-Jackie DeShannon
    11.This Diamond Ring-Gary Lewis & The Playboys