Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I agree, for a company that charges a premium for the very best mastering, to go back to a previous (and still easily available) issue is outrageous, why on earth would anyone buy this at twice the cost?

ponkine, MikeJedi and bruce2 like this.
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

My system or ears may be playing tricks on me, but tonight I listened to the stereo Redbook layer, and thought it sounded better than the stereo SACD layer! Perhaps I was just having a bad night last night, or maybe they do sound quite a bit different and I just prefer the CD layer? I may have to do further comparison and report back. Has anyone else compared SACD to Redbook stereo layers on the Wish You Were Here SACD and prefer the Redbook, or is it just me?

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Is the general consensus that the Hendrix People Hell and Angels SACD is not really a huge improvement on the vinyl (or CD)? Does is sound any different than the vinyl? It seems many have stated that the Machine Gun SACD was definitely the better of the two (and of course it's a much better album too).

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

P,H&A isn't a new mastering on SACD, so it has issues (files that clearly came from a clipped source). Avoid.

Jam757 likes this.
  5. Machine Gun SACD is better.

6. To my ears too, especially the stereo layer. Best digital version ever.

Merrick, Jam757 and George P like this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks guys, yeah definitely think I will only pick up Machine Gun. I already have Axis and Electric Ladyland. I listened to People, Hell and Angels on my way home and it’s not one of my favorites anyway.

8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

100% agree. I’d go so far as to say it’s my favorite digital stereo version of any Pink Floyd album (although I do love the Immersion Blu-Ray 2.0 of DSOTM and the MFSL of that as well as the first Japanese CD of Animals).

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds has changed the release date for AYE from Winter 2018/2019 to Coming Soon. We know that what coming soon means to Acoustic Sounds is not what it means to most people. I think that means they won't get it out this winter. I hope it gets released this spring.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Opeth and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

I called Acoustic Sounds yesterday morning and I was able to find out that "there was an issue with the mastering, so we had to pull the release date down, we are unsure when it will be released."

11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Thanks for going the extra mile on this, George. It sounds like it's not a minor issue.

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

My issue with it is the use of the label "Limited Edition" on the spine. What does that even mean? Limited by how many they can sell? I remember when the original SACD came out in 2011 the lowest price was $35 but you were reassured that if you paid this premium price, somehow "Limited Edition" meant something genuine.

13. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

We are now at over a year from when I ordered this. In that tume I have gotten remarried and had another kid. By the time this finally ships if it even does I will probably have had to disassemble my main system for clhilproofing for a while. This Is lke we have an idea we will sell you but we have no plan or schedule or deadlines to get our plan completed. Yet u should buy this from us anyway. Not the way to treat customers

Tommyboy and Tullman like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I can understand why some are upset when music they preordered or really want to buy is delayed or cancelled. I have a number of preorders placed with different sellers and it looks like some might not be fulfilled. As much as I'd like the titles in these preorders released I'm not the least bit upset. I don't fault APO or MOFI as they probably want these titles to be released more than we do.

Fortunately I have plenty of music to listen to tide me over. I'll continue to hope that the titles preordered will be released. If not then it is what it is :).

jh901 likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The only reviews I can find on SACD.net and its updated version, hraudio.net, are for the 35th anniversary SACD and the Immersion Blu-ray and not this new one.

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Probably not LOUD enough for Janie so they will need to remove as much of that pesky dynamic range as possible. Chad and Acoustic Sounds will surely comply in an effort prevent her from suing them into the ground. Still ultimately it won't work as they will loose everything in a EH launched lawsuit for issuing the release with a copyrighted EH image; the album cover.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Regarding Are You Experienced..... I doubt the SACD is a better deal of the original Reprise. Same with Electric Ladyland. The anniversary edition is one of the worst!

18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The SACD of AYE will be easier to find, though, for those who haven't got the original Reprise.

And is it fair to judge it before it has been released, given that the Axis SACD was quite well liked here?

Rockstar2112, The Hud and jhm like this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Regardless, worth getting for the mono mix of the album which is unavailable digitally.

Rockstar2112 and tmtomh like this.
  20. John Harchar

We'll have to wait and see now re: AYE. If it's at all like the current Axis version, it'll certainly give it a run for its money, and that's leaving aside inclusion of the mono version.

I'm on record as thinking the current ELL release is OK for lower end "systems" (like my current iPhone and Kohl's headphones combo, or whatever's in a 2016 Nissan Rogue). But they did promote an uncompressed version of the original mix on the Blu-ray and that doesn't seem to be the case, which is an issue.

bobcat likes this.
  21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Uncompressed meaning the album in high-res. Doesn't have to do with the digital compression.

jhm and SinnerSaint like this.
  22. John Harchar

From what I gather, I think that's what everyone was expecting.

jhm likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The latest WYWH APO SACD 2018 release is the same mix and mastering as the original 2011 SACD. Only difference is the product number.

2011 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    2018 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t recall being reassured of anything...well, other than it being “limited” - which it technically is in at least a couple of ways.

This is not exactly a new marketing angle.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are you sure? I don’t recall an uncompressed version of ELL being promoted.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.