Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 50% off Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Ron Jones, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Which Grant Green album are you referring to?

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Grantstand perhaps?

3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Didn't see the ad on the home page this AM, so perhaps the sale is waning...? All sale discs/LPs still at half price.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm not sure if all the SACDs are affected, I only bought the ones where the music interested me. Chad's tastes and mine don't overlap that much, many of those albums are subpar musically. Someone I trust told me Stanley Turrentine Vol 1 on AP was inferior sound wise to Vol 2 (all from same live date) that Music Matters did, even that one I only played once then filed away.

5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Yes.

6. moomoomoomoo

Is there anything else that's a must own? I got the Grant Green, Hank Mobley, Stanley Turrentine & Ike Quebeck.

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Oh that's interesting. So are you saying that for the some titles, KG did the vinyl mastering, while KG/SH did the digital?

8. moomoomoomoo

I can only speak for the 4 SACD's I just got; SH & KG co-mastered.

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Ugh. Trying to cut spending and this happens.....

I placed my order for the 10-SACD set. Even though I already had 2 of them in my collection, the price was still too good to pass up.

Additionally, I ordered the following SACDs:
    • Midnight Special
    • Workout
    • Dexter Calling
    That leaves 4 SACDs left in the sale that I do not have:
    • Grantstand
    • Soundin' Off
    • Blue & Sentimental
    • Introducing the 3 Sounds
    I put them in my cart but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. I think that I'll give it a couple of days and hope that they don't go out of stock in the meantime. Are these worth getting?

10. moomoomoomoo

3 Sounds Isn't half bad.
    Musically, Grantstand is excellent musically; sonically it isn't one of APO's best (mostly rolled off treble)

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

For 15 bucks, though, I may give Grantstand a shot in spite of the sonic shortcomings. Thanks for the reply!

12. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I'll throw in a vote for Horace Parlan, Movin' & Groovin' (vinyl; looks like the SACD isn't in the sale). The sale inspired me to pull a few of these out of my cleaning queue (I have all the vinyl in this sale already, most from a previous sale, but had put some away for later) and this is the one that really grabbed me. Most of these aren't adventurous titles, but this one really grooves, IMO.

I think I'm going to grab at least the SACD box and maybe a few others. I had been waiting for a sale on the DSD downloads, to save on shipping costs, but with the sale, it might work out about the same or less (if I get enough to spread shipping cost out, of course :)). Besides, I have some replacement discs waiting for an order to travel with.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Just recommendations here based off music not mastering:

Horace Silver Tokyo Blues, Blowin' the Blues Away
    Grant Green Idle Moments, Green Street
    Duke Jordan Flight to Jordan (a personal favorite!)
    Hank Mobley Workout
    John Coltrane Blue Trane
    Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue, On View at the Five Spot
    Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else
    Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage (get the Blu Ray mastered by Yoshida it's significantly better)
    Lou Donaldson Blues Walk
    Paul Chambers Whims of Chambers
    Sonny Rollins Vol 2
    Art Blakey Moanin'

All 50 titles on vinyl and SACD are billed as SH/KG. So were Music Matters and Analogue Productions Fantasy 45 rpm series of 100 albums, but you need to check the dead wax.

I didn't mean to imply all the SH mastered vinyl sounds rolled off, many of them sound exceptional. That Tokyo Blues is SH & KG @ AT in the dead wax and I really enjoyed the sound on it. Blue Train 45 is also SH & KG (someone might need to verify this, I'm going off memory) which sounds tonally much more similar to the HDTracks and Japan CP32 CD. The SACD sounds a bit rolled off and soft (not volume but a soft edge to the music), though I think the softness and lack of resolution is a characteristic of the Grimm. I don't have many of the 45s anymore, I'm away for the week so I'll post the deadwax when I get back to my other place . I haven't cracked open and played the two others that were part of that shipment.

@GeraldB thank you for checking that Flight to Jordan, I suspect you are right that there was a damaged pressing part. Did you reorder Flight to Jordan or is this one of the replacements you mentioned?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    moomoomoomoo likes this.
  14. hifidelitea

hifidelitea Senior Member

Placed order for 19 SACD's (box set for $100 and remaining at $15 each) that's on offer and looking forward to hearing them. Will take about 2 weeks before it arrives.

Mike6565 and George P like this.
  15. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

If it can help, my newly received copy, not even washed, is clean. There are no pressing defects. It has maybe 10 clics or pops over the 4 sides. It needs a wash I think. I got it numbered (703). The sound is great on this pressing.

hvbias likes this.
  16. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Great sale, surprised these are still in stock. Ordered 8 more, and shipping was very reasonable.

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

My boxes came today and I just finished loading them up. I decided to go series 1 in one box and series 2 in the other rather than organizing the titles straight through but that may change. I went in order by BN catalog number in each box.

It’s a shame they didn’t do a custom box for series 2 but hey, for $5 I can’t complain. Anyone else who has all 50 and the boxes who wants to share how they cataloged them all?

Swordsandchains likes this.
  18. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I haven't reordered (and, no, it's not one of the replacements)... as yet. :shh: I didn't find it so bad that I feel compelled to buy another copy, although, with two positive reports... now I'm starting to reconsider. I'll try to give another listen tomorrow and then perhaps see about adding one to my order, if it's still in stock.

19. moomoomoomoo

I'm considering getting 4 more. Since nothing seems to be selling out yet, I'm going to sleep on it. I have a strong suspicion this has something to do with licensing running out on slow selling items.

20. bubba-ho-tep

I bit the bullet and ordered all of the SACDs that I didn't already have. That brought my total haul for this sale to 21. The only caveat is that my wife reserves the right to take most of them and dole them out to me on my birthday in April. I'm fine with that since I have plenty to listen to until then. Plus, if this is how I can minimize the spousal resistance to this purchase then so be it.

21. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with licensing. Many of these titles came out in 2008-2010, and AS has been sitting on this stock since then. I can't blame them for blowing them out now.

If it were about a license period expiring, I'm sure they would press up a bunch of the more popular titles, which would sell like hotcakes, especially at these prices. There are several of the OOS titles that I'd pick up even at full price. I really think they would press more if they were allowed to.

hutlock likes this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's a really beautiful soft ballad that it occurs in, and with @Nephrodoc saying his copy has it I just settled for the early Japan TOCJ CD. I decided I won't be reordering this on vinyl, this was always the most miserable part of vinyl and I'm not in the mood to deal with it again.

23. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Hank Mobley's Peckin' Time is a killer IMHO...been enjoying the hell out of that 45 RPM. I ripped it after a proper cleaning. This is one of the better pressed titles from RTI...made for a very nice clean-up.

I did not enjoy Art Taylor's A.T.'s Delight as much as I had hoped...the vinyl pressing is far worse on my copy as well. :mad:

24. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So I picked up four 45 RPM albums last week (Jordan, McLean, Silver, and Taylor) and am insanely happy. I couldn't resist ordering four more: the two Mobley's, Turrentine, and Fred Jackson. As others have said, I am not a huge hard bop fan but these records are very special and just grab you. I've been saving up for the Music Matters SRX releases but knew I would regret not getting these.

25. moomoomoomoo

I ordered 5 more SACD's for a total of 9. Unless they add new titles, I need to stop for financial reasons!

Swordsandchains likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.