Acoustic Sounds Creedence on 45 RPM Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dolstein, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member Thread Starter

I just noticed that the following is available for pre-order on the Acoustic Sounds web site:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14666

<<Think these classic CCR songs sounded better than ever on Analogue Productions' recent LP reissues? Well, you're right of course.

Or at least you WERE right. Now they sound even better. That's because we've cut the choicest tracks from each of these seven albums at 45 RPM. With so few songs on each side (some releases have only one song per side) and at 45 RPM, your cartridge is going to track better and ultimately SING sweeter.

With the biggest hits from each record (packaged in replicas of the original jackets), you'll get in-depth liners by rock critic extraordinare Ben Fong-Torres of Rolling Stone fame, and photos by Baron Wolman and Didi Zill, both of whom were there to document CCR "back in the day." There is also an essay by Steve Hoffman, who along with Kevin Gray, remastered these gems at AcousTech Mastering. We've also included a bonus record that includes rare mixes of "Bad Moon Rising" and "Proud Mary," cut at 45 of course.

. . .

Track Listings

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    1. Suzie Q.
    2. I Put A Spell On You

Bayou Country
    1. Born On The Bayou
    2. Bootleg
    3. Good Golly Miss Molly
    4. Penthouse Pauper
    5. Proud Mary

Green River
    1. Green River
    2. Commotion
    3. Bad Moon Rising
    4. Lodi

Willy And The Poorboys
    1. Down On The Corner
    2. It Came Out Of The Sky
    3. Cotton Fields
    4. Fortunate Son
    5. Don't Look Now (It Ain't You or Me)
    6. The Midnight Special

Cosmo's Factory
    1. Lookin' Out My Back Door
    2. Run Through the Jungle
    3. I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Pendulum
    1. Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
    2. Hey Tonight

Mardi Gras
    1. Sweet Hitch-Hiker
    2. Someday Never Comes>>

Cost: $200 :bigeek:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's $200.00 per song.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I thought it was supposed to be $200 per minute? :)

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's a lot of diapers. :laugh:

You can buy these individually, and I'll be a total sucker and get 2-3 for sure. CCR, Bayou and Cosmos. No, I better get Green River too. This is me after I have 4 of the AS LPs, all of the SACDs, and knowing Desiree got me 2 of the SACDs for my birthday and I'll have to sneak these pieces in the door.

Yeah, it all sucks, man. Lock me up.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Maybe iTunes has them for $0.99 per song :D

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

ha,ha

actually $8.33 per track, it does make the LP box set seem much more reasonable.

7. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

what a shame here's not who'll stop the rain....
    maybe we must wait for volume II.
    Is always Saul Zaentz rights owner?

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I still don't understand why the LPs just weren't done at 45rpm in the first place.

9. Sckott

Some of them would be near-impossible to do 45... These are just selected cuts at 45 for each album.

Try cutting up Cosmos on paper just for fun, keep the sequence intact and remember what your cutting limits are for each side. Not easy.

10. PMC7027

How can you do worse than "cutting up" Cosmos by CUTTING OUT some of the music?

I don't see a problem with cutting limits. Steve worked with Kevin Gray and cut the 45rpm of Isaac Hayes' Theme From Shaft for Acoustic Sounds 45 rpm series and put just about 20 minutes on side 2 of that record. It sounds wonderful to me, and if that side is too long I don't believe Steve would have worked on it, since he has high standards and is uncompromiising with the results of his mastering efforts.

It also seems to me that the CCR 45rpms are overpriced. Acoustic Sounds charged $20 for their "singles" by Isaac Hayes and others from the Stax vaults.

I am very happy with the CCR SACDs.

11. Sckott

...and these are $20 also. They're not for everyone, only die hard fans. Many thought the biggest problem was the short play time (20 minutes being a big exception). I think people who are big fans of the 45 cuttings will get them. I'm getting a few, not all.

I too am very satisfied with the SACDs, but I'm also curious to how a 45 cutting of "Grapevine" sounds like... These will be 'special' much like the Fantasy 45's and I've been putting off getting a few of those....

I have the Hayes 45 as well, and that 20 minutes was a squeeze, but it sounded like there was compression in that song anyway. Nice cutting nonetheless....

12. PMC7027

I didn't know that the Creedence 45s were available separately. I thought they were only available in the box set for $200, which is more than $20 each. I take back my comment about them being overpriced.

13. Sckott

Heh. I thought you were looking at the LP's (which are $25). :laugh: Enough CCR stuff on that website now to stop a major highway from flowing, so it's easy to get lost.

14. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

No kidding, not to mention the idea of boutique packaging for CCR strikes me as seriously messed-up, this must be the Senator's Son label... still, I ordered the LP box set.

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I looked through the AS web-catalog looking for the separates....Nothing!
    If they are ever available separately, it won't happen until all the box sets are gone. [ed. I take this back]

16. PMC7027

Then I take back my take back and restate my opinion that they are over priced.

17. Sckott

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Actually lets do some math.....

CCR LP boxset.....
    7LPs @ 25 each = $175 + 1 45RPM @ $20 = $195 + booklet/box $55 = $250

CCR 45RPM box....
    7 45RPMs @20 each = $140 + $55 booklet/box = $195

So actually they are priced at about $20 each.

19. PMC7027

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I take it back then too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...I couldn't find them.

I'll be getting 4 of them....

Bayou, Green River, Willy, and Cosmos. :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

21. Sckott

You don't have to David. :laugh: The whole set is quite a haul, and like most "luxury" items in life (heck like Mosaic box sets and 300b tube amps), they're not for light fans. I'm VERY glad they ARE seperate items, but even I'm going to dip my toes in for a few. I mean, that Scully and Kev's cutter is just soo good. Can't resist a couple.

22. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I heard the 45rpm of Suzie Q(test pressing from Chad) and it was awesome :eek: , best I ever heard!

23. PMC7027

Now, I'd certainly pony up for The Beatles singles on 12 inch vinyl cut at 45rpm by Steve and Kevin!!

24. Sckott

It must have been that buttery bottom end that no one would be used to unless they had the previous AS stuff. This is good news.

The 33.3 vinyl was beautiful.

25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have all the Creedence SACD's and the Steve LP's....however, if I was going to try one of the 45's, which is the one to get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.