Added Acoustic Treatment to Ceiling

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by G E, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G E

G E Senior Member Thread Starter

Finally got two 24x48 Owens and Corning 703 panels installed on ceiling in Man Cave #1. I used a ceiling fan mount that I attached to a ladder-like frame from which I suspended the panels.

Settled in for listening session last night.

Zounds!

I wasn’t prepared for the improvement. Bass tightened and deepened considerably I already have ceiling to floor bass traps in all4 corners and absorption panels front and back walls and primary reflecting points in side walls.

this addition made a nice and not subtle difference.

next step is to add GIK diffusion to front and back walls and add more depth to the bass traps.

acoustic treatments are the best bang fir the buck to improve your sound.

My room was unlistenable with no treatments. It’s now a fabulous sonic retreat. Easy to spend hours spinning records.

Mike-48, Shawn, yodog and 5 others like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

About a year ago I added a couple DIY Gik 244 traps at the first reflection points on the ceiling of my listening room. It helped a bit, but my room is already pretty well treated.

[​IMG]

The Pinhead and wownflutter like this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I want to do this but I fear I'd be instantly single.

The Pinhead, zonto, waaguirr and 8 others like this.
  4. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

[​IMG]

timind likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Basement man cave is the only way I can get away with it.

The Pinhead and HairyWeimer like this.
  6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

yeah, I don't have that luxury...but envy those who do!

The Pinhead and timind like this.
  7. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I've had two 244 panels hanging above my head for two years now. It really helps with the slap echo, and brings everything into tighter focus. And no, girls don't seem to mind. :agree:

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I kept it small and it has made a noticeable difference in reflection timing.
    [​IMG]

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've had quite a few people in my room since mounting the panels on the ceiling, not one person noticed them until I pointed them out.

The Pinhead and MichaelXX2 like this.
  10. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Me too....

But after reading this thread I might give it a go.

does anyone know if it’s recommended to have as thick of panel up top (ceiling) as possible like the sidewall first reflection points? Or can you get away with 2-3” thick panels (instead of 5+ inches thick)?

11. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Well, you’re covering the first reflection points on the ceiling, so you should treat them the same as the others.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

What are these panels? Can you provide a link?

13. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

not if you also put a mirror over the bed.

14. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

For those worried about aesthetics, Guilford of Maine makes acoustically transparent fabric in a huge range of colors. Very easy to find something the same color as your walls or ceiling.
    My room is a sort of slate blue/grey and my panels match, exactly.

Even though they are 4" deep and cover most of my available walls, I had to point them out to a couple of friends who were over the other night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

yeah, installing my cloud at the early reflection just blew me away. I already had the side walls and back wall early reflection treated along the floor as well, so the only early reflection i had was coming from the ceiling. installing the cloud was like removing yet another layer of dust over the sound.

but mine is probably the most ugly cloud ive ever saw. I really need to redo it. I recentl saw that GIK sells diy frames which will make it much easier to install on the ceiling. this is my next project as my cloud is almost embarassing, i look like a madmen :D

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

i like the 3d shadow-effect those brings to the wall.

17. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Me too. Although, these pics are with the 'reality lights' on full. They blend in a lot more with the lights dimmed in 'listening mode'.

timind likes this.
  18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Carrman likes this.
  19. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

I'm with you on that, Jeez I only moved the TV 10 inches (I even patched the previous fixing holes) to centre my system and she sulked for 2 hours!

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you are talking about these: Do It Yourself Bass Trap and Acoustic Panel Frames
    I'm going to warn you off of them. I ordered one to see if they were better than DIY frames. They are not worth the money, in fact of the 5 or 6 DIY 244 type traps I've built, the one made from the GIK frame is the worst of them. It's flimsy, undersized, and the frame pieces split when I fastened them together.
    Don't really like bashing the product, but just not good.

21. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

I've seen good and bad from all of the big manufacturers. I strongly advise looking for an acoustic panel manufacturer locally if you are going to buy instead of DIY.
    There are a lot of great guides for DIY online, all the way up to hanging a could cleanly, but I'm sure every city center has a handful of local builders who you can support and even visit to see the quality of their work before purchasing.

22. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I bought them from a company in the Ukraine and I refuse to divulge my contact ...... I know nothing!!!! :whistle:

Leak from the intelligence committee. :biglaugh:

23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

There was a thread about this company, wasn’t there? Somebody’s products arrived damaged but as I recall, UA sent replacements.

You haven’t had problems with odors coming from your panels?

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Use foam; less effective, but harmless.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Gumboo likes this.
  25. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I was the one who had the bass traps damaged during shipping. UA sent all new ones no charge. I kept the panels in the garage for a while while I was confirming the location of each panel. I did have some odors from the panels for a few weeks so I kept the windows of the sound room open.

No odors now and they are doing a great job. I also build sliding absorption panels behind the speakers. This was a game changer in controlling the width of the sound stage and centering the vocals if they were supposed to be centered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.