Adrian Belew recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efraley, Aug 9, 2018.

1. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

As promised: The DVD has arrived, limited to 300 hand-signed by all 3 dots. Available ONLY at Cincinnati's two finest record stores (who generously underwrote the project): Everybody's and Shake It.
    Yes, they will ship to faraway places.
    If you want it, please jump on it... going fast....

http://www.shakeitrecords.com
    https://everybodysrecords.com

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Was really intrigued, but couldn't fathom why Stewart Copeland sang when the group featured 2 far more accomplished vocalists.

omikron and pexie like this.
  3. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

It was Copeland’s baby from the outset.

4. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

Haven't read through the thread, but Here is usually overlooked in such discussions. It's a wonderful album, and I enjoy it more than the first six and Op Zop Too Wah, as much as I like those.

applejam101 likes this.
  5. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

To complete the thought: Here feels to me like a sequel to Inner Revolution, but with catchier tunes. It's full of gorgeous melodies, textures, and chord changes. Belew plays all the instruments, and he plays them incredibly well. Here and there the music gets overbearing, but for the most part it stays in a pop/art-rock sweet spot that keeps me coming back. The ear candy serves as a vehicle for lyrics packed with optimism, compassion, anxiety, and playfulness. His soul comes shining though.

6. Say It Right

Not exactly big news, nor does that make it more listenable. He could have just played drums.

7. Grassy Sound

My favorite is Op Zop Too Wah, and when I mentioned it to Adrian, he said it’s his too, along with Side Two (which is my second favorite.)

8. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

If only someone would actually make the effort to TELL Stewart that, what a world of difference. Yeah, he is probably the worst singer in Gizmodrome and sings the majority of songs. Where is STING when you actually need him?!

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

More to the point, most of those are Copeland-written songs. And (to me) they're not particularly interesting.

Sting, Belew, Macca, Dio, Sinatra, Domingo couldn't salvage these.

Gizmodrome seems more a casual easy-going project than an ambitious collaboration.

Needs more Belew.

applejam101 likes this.
  10. Say It Right

Belew and/or Mark King would've done a much better job. Copeland's vocals are (unfortunately) close to novelty level.

pexie likes this.
  11. Grassy Sound

Here indeed does often seem overlooked. It’s a hidden gem!

omikron, tdgrnwld and applejam101 like this.
  12. It is one of his very best.

omikron and tdgrnwld like this.
  13. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

I was at this show - I carried it around with me for days & days -- I LIKE IT! Btw, Julie is an amazing player.

I hope to see the new band play there in April too.

Any out-of-towers should consider trying Sang-kee restaurant kinda nearby. I'm told it's not as good as their China town location, but I enjoyed it.

14. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

You know, I'm sure everything's been covered here, but I have to vote for HERE & find a live version of DRIVE - much better than the album version, IMO, with the cool Beatles tribute! I think they performed it on Rockpalast when Eric was still in the trio. He plays it elsewhere on the web too, maybe at his seminar at Chicago humanities something or other and can't recall if they performed it at the Ardmore show, doh!

The acoustic adrian Belew is great! A must listen.

You gotta hear songs like Matte Kudasai if you haven't as well.

Avoid the Guitar as Orchestra cd (I think it's called), it's unlistenable even for a seasoned belew fan like myself.

Say It Right likes this.
  15. Grassy Sound

Drive was not played at Ardmore last year.

16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Funny, I really like that one. Laurence Harvey's Despair is one of my favorite tracks by him. Gorgeous piece of music, completely improvised.

Grassy Sound and applejam101 like this.
  17. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I am starting to put my Beatles and Talking Heads away, and starting my yearly Belew Cycle. Just put all of his CDs on my IPhone as well as The Bears. Almost forgot Crimson. The next few months will be Belewersized. Plus in March comes his new album, Popsided. Can't wait.

18. quarl23

quarl23 Queen Crimson

Young Lions - Pretty Pink Rose is not to be missed!

19. Grassy Sound

Nor Gunman, another Bowie collaboration on Young Lions.

applejam101 likes this.
  20. Grassy Sound

Maranatha5585 and applejam101 like this.
  21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm not a Belew expert, but my impression is that he manages to keep his own sound in whatever band he's in, yet still compliment that artist's work.

Zappa, Bowie, Crimson etc...

22. Grassy Sound

applejam101 likes this.
  23. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I would start with his 2019 release Pop Sided. This is the one we've been waiting for!

24. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Unfortunately, currently only available via his concerts. He is looking for a distributor, but hasn't mentioned if he found one yet.

omikron likes this.
  25. Say It Right

The Tralf in Buffalo was first stop on the tour. Pop Sided hadn't been officially released yet. It was was flown in and delivered to the hotel in time for the show!

omikron and applejam101 like this.