SH Spotlight Adventures in Mastering: First album by AMERICA on SACD for Audio Fidelity:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Granted, I don't understand much about digital conversions, but IMO it is best to trust your ears rather than some free twitter software that takes "data" that was created using professional studio equipment and converts it to another format on a home computer that is sharing its processing power and memory with other processes.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It has that sound, yup. I blasted AMERICA this morning and was still pleased with our mastering. Never harsh, that's my motto!

ultron9 and HAmmer like this.
  3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Not sure if this may help, but page 13 of SACD Production Guide for Merging Technologies' Pyramix DAW states:
    & further down
    Forum member Black Elk also provided his comment in another thread which discussed peak levels in SACD authoring.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

And, never any bad "after taste" either. I played AMERICA for a friend yesterday and I observed a "wow!" moment. Again, great work! This set is highly recommended...

Bob-:wave:

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks, Robert!

6. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

Thankfully Amazon sorted things out, and I received my replacement copy today.

Giving this a spin right now, and it was definitely worth the wait. What an improvement over the original Warner CD that I've had for years. Another home run by our host and Mr. Marsh.

I've always been a fan of the vocal harmonies and acoustic guitars of groups like the Eagles, CSN and America, so the recent AF CSN titles along with this one were real treats for me.

Thank you Steve and AF for giving these old recordings a breath of fresh air!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    ultron9 likes this.
  7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to opening our mailbox tonight! Hopefully my copy will have arrived.

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This CD is fantastic. Such skillful work.

9. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Thanks, dad.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Steve,

Thanks for correcting the assumption that the peaks were compromised which was posted earlier. I should have added "if in fact the peaks ARE in compromised". I have no idea how to do peak levels. But this is a case where it seems the information about the peak levels was incorrect. I'm going to stick to listening over viewing DR levels ;).

Bill

11. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Got mine using Amazon Prime. Never heard the entire album...I love it. A slice of 70s radio magic IMO.

Now I'm really thinking I need Poco. I like the lead song, shall I invest?

12. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I am by no means an America "fan" but I bought this because of Steve's involvement and the fact that so many people here highly regarded it. I could not be happier with this. Of course I knew "Horse With No Name" as well as some of their other singles but I have never heard it sound this vibrant. Amazing job! The rest of the album is pretty good stuff. The beauty of these AF discs is that it introduces me to artists whom I normally would never purchase music by. Poco just arrived today (another band with whom I only know the couple of hits) and I am excited to dig into that one also. Keep these coming Steve!!!

ultron9 likes this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I must congratulate our host on one fantastic sounding SACD. I'm thoroughly enjoying this disk. :righton:

14. I am eagerly awaiting my copy of America which is winging it's way from the U.S. as I type.

15. I like that motto.

My copy is ordered!

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I am I the only one who is surprised to see so many people blasting America? I love the guys, but to me they aren't a band I want to last when I listen. :shrug:

17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Hi....I'm Jamey....and I blast America.

jriems, ultron9 and ShawnX like this.
  18. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Got my copy of this the other day. Nice to finally have a digital version of this done right. I think it sounds great.

ultron9 likes this.
  19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My copy arrived yesterday (along with Poco). I never had a chance to listen to them until today. Both of these albums are new to me and all I had previously of America was the HISTORY compilation CD. I have to say that this disc sounds incredible. Very well done.

ultron9 likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I forgot how truly cringe worthy some of the lyrics are on the album. Too bad Steve's work can't correct that.

21. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Sounds beautiful. Nice work.

HAmmer likes this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

More or less than last Friday when you said the same thing? :angel:

jriems and Machiventa like this.
  23. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Might have to buy a new copy, I'm wearing this one out. Cant stop playing it :love:

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I enjoyed this SACD much more than I thought that I would. Wonderfully open sound.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't cringe at them - they were of a time.