Advice on floorstanding speakers suited for metal music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WATTVOI, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow, I own MA Silver 8s (predecessor to the 300s) and a Parasound A 21 amp ... guess I'm ready for metal if I want to be! but fam will have to be out of the house ...

I do like the occasional Black Sabbath, Ozzy ... that may be all the 'metal' I have/like at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

Sony ssf 6000 4 way speakers, they shine on metal/ hard rock

3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

In the age of covid, my wife and kids aren't out nearly as often. :(

ermylaw and Bingo Bongo like this.
  4. fish

fish Senior Member

Klipsch Heresy's!
    Heritage IV Floorstanding Heritage Speaker | Klipsch

The Pinhead, bhazen and Anton D like this.
  5. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Same, but I’ve now spent nearly a year listening to music in my basement all-day long so there’s that!

Boltman92124 and bever70 like this.
  6. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Essentially no basements in California sorry to say! Two kids remote schooling, wife home office. Have used my Stax cans a lot more this year.

8. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

If you are OK with a couple of big, black monoliths with faces that remind you of rock concerts, Tekton Pendragons fill the bill

fish likes this.
  9. fish

fish Senior Member

HAHA Yes, Very much so. I WILL OWN Tekton speakers. Im torn between an alternative version of the Pendragon with the speaker array of the Double Impact and the Double Impacts themselves.

BIG KEFS also Rock very nicely!

They do come in all different colors too. I prefer Black but the Blue is nice. White? Ferrari Red?

10. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I assume the alt version of Pens costs more, enough so that you are figuring why not just get the DI. I have never heard the DI but one of the things I love about the regular stock Pens is that they sound very fine while remaining relatively affordable.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Hi; big black metal nutso here. You cant go wrong with any Klipsch floorstanders. Dunno what your budget is but this one is fantastic and cheap (the ones I own) :

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Syne...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can go for the higher-end models but the price rises exponentialy and none is front-ported, which is a must for me.

12. Vruksha

Vruksha Active Member

Curious to know what you ended up getting, I listen to the same music as well and on a hunt for floorstanders. Multiple reccomendations for Monitor Audio Silver 300's, I had those on my mind as well but worried if they would be too much on highs and upper mids esp with brutal death metal, death grind and such.

13. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

They won't. In my experience, metal requires getting mid-lows through low-mids right. It doesn't generally have the crazy psychoacoustic sub-bass that some trance and techno music does, for example. You want speakers that can articulate the higher frequencies that will carry the lead guitars and in many sub-genres the vocals also. Even with doom, sludge, drone and death metal, the frequencies used are generally higher than you might think, in the non-extended bass range. You can use a larger baffle area speaker pair alone or in more modern style add a subwoofer to a narrower floor standing speaker pair to give it the bass presence needed. The range and complexity of metal music is probably second only to classical music and a good pair of speakers that suits your ears will be rewarding.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Revel Concerta F35s or F36s are better speakers for metal but the latter require a larger room than Silver 300s.

If you can locate a pre-owned pair of Spatial M4 or M3 Turbos, they’ll rock your world better than any of these big commercial brands.

16. phred

phred Forum Resident

CV XLS 215s are fun but need more amp than the OP has.
    Trying to integrate a sub with the bookshelves is a potential road to frustration.

There are a myriad of active pro monitors that will do the job but they are not towers.
    Suggest grabbing some music and heading into a nearby professional audio store and having a listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.