Aerosmith Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, May 1, 2022.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Again, if you were not one of their die-hard fans, you basically forgot about them, especially if you weren't that deep into hard rock and liked other styles of music that were dominant in the late 70s and most of the 80s. There were other types of music other than hard rock back then.

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I imagine the bands vision or expectation of a comeback would of been to approach their 70s success, which was a different animal than what came in the later years. In the late 70s US where I lived AM radio played the big pop hits, probably only like the top 20 or so. Aerosmith were an FM radio band all the way, bands like them could crack the top 40 with a song and it would be played on a FM rock station that did Album oriented rock. It was kind of rare for a hard rock band to be played on AM pop radio. Styx did it after they went really soft with stuff like Babe. Pink Floyd got on there with Another Brock in the Wall pt2, but overall it was an anomaly.
    I think things changed in that by the late 80s hard rock could be in the top 20 more commonly. In the late 70s, 1980's Phil Collins would of been really heavy for AM radio.......I'm speaking of the New York market which might be anecdotal, and things could of been different in other cities/suburbs...The signal from the New York stations went a long ways. The sales Aerosmith did after the comeback was bigger than ever before, and I doubt they even had their sights set that high, but Kalodner did.

Matthew Tate and Doomster like this.
  3. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

‘there was vocal pushback from fans regarding how the guitars were pushed back in the mix (for the most part) on Pump - so on GAG there was an effort by the band (Joe Perry) to change that.

4. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

‘yep - a crime that didn’t get officially released on a studio album

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

fair enough......and my point still stands

6. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

‘yep

BDC likes this.
  7. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Whilst I’d agree, getting rid of those two songs in particular would probably have cost the band the best part of 5/6/7 million in sales.

8. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Good point - what I personally (selfishly?) consider an adequate level of post reunion success (hey, I prefer live shows in smaller theaters too than stadia!!) was clearly not what the band would consider a successful return, and I’m sure they surpassed even their own targets.

Plus, the cash outflow from my wallet is broadly the same. The cash inflow to theirs isn’t.

BDC and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Good on you for calling out the original poster there...dinner theatre level - sorry but didn't happen!
    +

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

I get it, but save those songs. Release one ballad an album. This line of thinking is what ruined MFAD.

I’m going to contradict myself, but I would have been fine with leaving one of the two “C” songs on the album if they took off filler like Flesh, GAG & Eat the Rich - all of which were garbage IMO. Then resequence the album.

Something like this:

Fever
    Can’t Stop Messin
    Livin on the Edge
    Walk on Down
    Deuces are Wild
    Gotta Love It
    Cryin
    Walk on Water
    Line Up
    Amazing

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Gus Tomato

I’d say having songs like ‘Cryin’ and ‘Crazy’ on the album guaranteed a bigger investment and push in promotion from Geffen.

Stormrider77, BDC and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The 3 tracks you call garbage are all killer....

13. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

without a doubt

Kalodner was their deal with the devil

BDC, Mark7, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  14. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

‘they were hard edged songs with no hooks imo. I thought Eat the rich was hokey and corny as hell the first time I heard it

I thought the band got the hard stuff right on the next album

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Gus Tomato

The “Wake up kids, it’s half past youth” intro originates to the DWM days, Ted Templeman has the hand-written lyrics, which were a thank-you gift from Steven, displayed in his book.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

“Eat the Rich” has a huge hook in the chorus - but it’s pretty generic - sounds like it belongs on a Warrant not Aerosmith album. “Get A Grip” starts with a burp and doesn’t get hugely better - I don’t mind it hugely, but the chorus feels like they’re trying for another “Rag Doll” and it’s in the cartoon rock category that isn’t personally to my taste.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Might not quite be my ten, but I like it more than the whole shebang for sure.

I’ve realized I’m an outlier on this thread for struggling to love “Livin on the Edge” - so I guess credit to the band.

But then “Love in an Elevator” was my least favorite track on Pump, so maybe I just don’t like lead Aerosmith singles starting with “L”s. Unless they’re called “Lightning Strikes”.

bjlefebvre and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ever heard live versions of "get a grip" and "flesh"? they are on youtube and killed live

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

this is what should have happened during the 90's. in my timeline i'm going to say somehow "crazy" got written in 1992 for the original GaG

sept 1992 GaG

1 fever
    2 eat the rich
    3 get a grip
    4 crazy
    5 head first
    6 can't stop messin
    7 deuces are wild
    8 wham bam
    9 black cherry
    10 don't stop
    11 amazing

spring 1995 album
    1 walk on water
    2 trouble
    3 what kind of love are you on
    4 legendary child
    5 cryin
    6 walk on down
    7 gotta love it
    8 blind man
    9 flesh
    10 shut up and dance
    11 livin on the edge

fall 1997 album
    1 nine lives
    2 taste of india
    3 falling in love is hard on the knees
    4 hole in my soul
    5 somethings gotta give
    6 the farm
    7 bacon biscuit blues
    8 dime store lover
    9 pink
    10 falling off
    11 fallen angels

fall 1999 release
    1 crash
    2 attitude adjustment
    3 fall together
    4 bridges are burning
    5 ain't that a bitch
    6 loretta
    7 when the monkey comes
    8 kiss your past goodbye
    9 angel eyes
    10 where the sun never shines
    11 full circle

tons of these songs existed and were tried at multiple sessions or played live years before they made an album. theres still about a dozen known songs from 1992-1997 not listed here on any of these

daltieri, Stormrider77, JSKC and 6 others like this.
  20. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

@Matthew Tate

you officially are this thread’s PhD on Aerosmith and certainly on GaG!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

don't want to jump ahead but you are welcome ;)

Padre69 and Doomster like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

wham bam

Padre69 likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

bacon biscuit blues live

Padre69 likes this.
  24. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

you specifically wouldn’t include “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” onto one of those ? Probably, I agree, but it’s a song that’d shift a few album units too post soundtrack.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

yeah leave that one on the soundtrack

also after listening to GaG i think it was you that mentioned it. maybe tyler did it before but here its really noticeable especially on the rockers that every dead space in the lyrics he scats, screams, yelps, makes some tiny sound, etc. you mentioned that right?

bjlefebvre and Doomster like this.