Aerosmith Rocks SACD is alive!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by OE3, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"fantastic" according to Eddie's first post :)

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Wow, a rare bird indeed.

A few years back when my friend bought his Sony SACD changer at Best Buy, we both swear we saw this disc and passed on it. I could be wrong..............

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Just think - you can probably trade that Rocks SACD for a WYWH 35DP4 (if you throw in a few bucks ;) )

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Nice. Something new to search for...

:)

Chris

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

After hearing the great job Sony did with the Toys In The Attic SACD, I really lusted for Rocks on SACD.

Now I still do, now even more.

This would be an excellent choice for Mo-Fi to do on SACD and with the original quad masters for surround. They've licensed other stuff from Sony why not this?

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

oops!

(thanks Mal)

7. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

The wheels (of ideas) are turning...

I've been thinking a lot about this thread.

So much so, that with help from everyone here at the forum, what a potential/change it could bring to the SACD format (hint: grassroots journalism). Here are my thoughts:

+ Fact checking: Need to find out how the single-layer stereo SACD of "Rocks" got away from us for so long. (We have the mastering information from the thread, so it shant be too hard to get started.) This will come in handy later (keep reading!). This includes finding out more about the history behind this SACD release--i.e. the punch hole on the back cover sure makes it look a lot like a "promotions only" issue--and if/any roadblocks/legal issues that made it NOT get released, if indeed that is the case.

+ The Save SACD petition. The thread, at least, is at 203 posts:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=1779138#post1779138
    ***How do we tie this in with this jewel of an Aerosmith find?!

+ From stand-alone SH Forum Human interest story... "SH forum member, Eddie Williamson, finds this title at a 'blue line special' at Amoeba Records..."

+ (Finish fact checking...)

+ ...To issuing a press release--especially to the music journalists--about the find, implementing some talking points: (1) The history of band itself (Aerosmith) and the recording history of the well-regarded (by press, critics and general public) "Rocks" album; (2) Sony on how they faltered with the SACD format by allowing this gem not to get a wide release, at least initially; (3) The merits of the current hybrid stereo and multi-channel SACD releases--ESPECIALLY the currently available Aerosmith single-layer SACD titles ["Oh Yeah Hits Collection", "Toys in the Attic," and "Just Push Play"] AND the Moody Blues and Depeche Mode overseas hybrid SACD titles; (4) How DualDiscs are a nuisance, compared to the easier "plug and play" (heh) ability of hybrid SACDs: 'look, ma, no flipping discs!' and (5) anything else you wanna discuss, like the save SACD petition!

###​

If done right and by implementing this plan at a very strategic level, there is the possibility Sony might get enough press (hopefully, mostly good) thereby putting pressure to get its act together and start releasing all the other (stereo and/or multi-channel) hidden jems in their vault...either on its own or by third-party licensing deals. The fact that Mofi is already picking up the slack on some of these Sony titles should make this idea an easier sell.

Let the discussion begin!

8. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

We could start emailing MFSL and bug them to release the title. :agree:

9. John Carsell

Either that or is there somebody at MFSL/Music Direct that we could talk to?

Somebody that would actually listen?

10. John Carsell

[email protected]

Contact Customer Support Via Phone: 312-491-1836
    Please Note: Phone support is available between the hours of 10am-6pm CST Monday-Friday.

11. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Just sent an email to MoFi

12. Pug

So did I.

13. John Carsell

14. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I am trying to get through to Sony/BMG via some industry connections. I have my fingers crossed as this connection has come through in the past. If I can find someone "in the know", I'll try to find out what happened in this situation.

I wonder if they pulled the release because they intended to do it in multi-channel, just like the did with Stevie Ray's stereo SACD of "Couldn't Stand The Weather"?

15. John Carsell

Good deal.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

16. mknappe

Just got an email reply back from MoFi... here's an excerpt:

"....You will be excited to know that we will contact AEROSMITH management and try appeal for their help in accessing the AEROSMITH catalog..

Coleman
    MFSL
    "

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

That's my guess. A few titles, like Carole King, had their stereo versions replaced by multi-channel versions and then Stevie Ray just disappeared.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

OK, you and your disc are invited over. Just don't take the 5, there's a big truck wreck. :p

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Bump. Any new news on this?

21. mknappe

No news yet. Hey, I used to live Sunnyvale when I worked at Cisco... we lived on Timberpine across from the last corn field in the area. Those darn rats used to take refuge in houses everytime the corn was cut...

22. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

One can only hope.

23. Pug

I got the same email. :agree:

24. John Carsell

Yeah me too.

If anything at all gets done with this, I'm afraid it's gonna be a long drawn out process.

Just a gut feeling. :p

25. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

is there a MC program, stereo or both?

if MOFI DOES reissue this, it will probably be stereo only.

nice find, BTW.

later, chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.