Agharta & Pangaea, is there not a market for a CD reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Wonderful article!

2. There were once rumours about the shows from which the albums were taken getting a box set release, like the Plugged Nickel and Celler Door box sets. Was there any truth in that or was that never seriously considered?

3. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone on here said the dude who was behind all the electric box sets died so there was no one at the record company to push for it so the idea died sadly.

4. babaluma

Just ordered this bad boy...same night as the mind melting Another Unity bootleg which I have on an average sounding boot. Hoping sound on this will be good! IMO Another Unity blows Pangaea out the water and even rivals Agharta...

Miles Davis - Live in Tokyo 1975

jay.dee, mark renard and mono.edition like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's dark music and you can hear in Miles' playing that he's not a happy camper.

babaluma likes this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

There's a lot less reverb (or muck), so the instruments are more clearly delineated.

I admit I like the more distant perspective of the American mix. The music becomes a more monolithic sound from which individual instruments rise and then fall. It seems more primeval. But I would never argue it's more accurate.

Scott6 likes this.
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'm sure at some point it will happen, but I've only ever read of people wanting it to happen, not anything more than that. With these metal spine boxes getting reissued, maybe they are ramping up for future releases.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Re-issued? All the indications from those who received their sets in the last few weeks is that they are unopened old stock.

Dreaddazzman and frightwigwam like this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I'm just referring to the thread titled "reissued complete sets", which I didn't read through as I already own them. Do you mean they've been sitting on stock since 1996?

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That appears to be the case, yes.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  11. babaluma

Just confirming the Hi Hat live in Tokyo 1975 set is the same as Another Unity bootleg and very good sound! Any fan of this era of Miles should get this. Pete Cosey is particularly unhinged and I have to say I think this is wilder than Agharta.

jay.dee, PJayBe and andy obrien like this.
  12. babaluma

I just got Miles Davis At Newport: 1955-1975, mainly for the storming 1973 Berlin show. It features an "Untitled Original 730424c" which is one of his best riffs and I hadn't heard before on any previous albums. The show is awesome and there is also one tune from 1975 New York, Avery Fisher Hall show. I don't know whether this was the only tune from this show that was recorded but it is a bit of a shame if there were more tunes that they were not included. A chance to showcase the 1975 band more fully sadly lost....again!

jay.dee likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The whole set is circulating freely. Guess the producers didn't think the sound quality and/or Miles' performance was up to par.

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Maybe they just wanted a capstone on the era, but didn't want to add a 5th disc to the set.

DTK, Jazzmonkie and jay.dee like this.
  15. babaluma

Found it thanks! Sounds pretty good to me, Henderson is on fire. OK quality is not amazing but it is the bootleg series after all.

frightwigwam, jay.dee and DTK like this.
  16. babaluma

Agreed but I would have shelled out for another disk for a few more tunes from the show, although they would have needed 2 more disks for the full performance :)

17. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

Speaking of Pangaea, how is the label "Music on CD" Re-issue of Pangaea?

Miles Davis - Pangaea

Anyone here have it?

fatwad666 likes this.
  18. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

It has similar front and back cover art to the 1990 Columbia “Contemporary Jazz Masters” reissue CD. I wonder if it uses that mastering.

19. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Yet another mastering question - does anyone know which versions are in the Japanese mini-LP CD versions?
    (The ones with the replica photo booklet inserts)

20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

JohnS and frightwigwam like this.
  21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Dark Magus has never existed in multiple mixes. The only version is the original 1977 Japanese LP mix. This same mix has been used on all subsequent CD releases, including the one in the Complete Columbia Albums box set.

Flaming Torch and DTK like this.
  22. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

PsychGuy likes this.
  23. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Isn't it obvious?

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Looks like they stuck some of the '72 In Concert material on there...sneaky Russkies!:laugh:

frightwigwam likes this.
  25. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Thanks! I was wondering if something like that was the case. Oddly, this configuration is very common on Soulseek...

Not to me obviously. No thanks for the gratuitous comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.