Akron, Ohio area vinyl stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Blue Nile Fan, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Any shops in Columbus or Cleveland areas?

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any "exchange" store in cleveland has loads of used CD's, DVD's, and some vinyl.

lots of cheapo bins too. (2-$1, $1, $2.50, $5)

and they are located across the city form east to west.

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! rjp.

4. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

A few weeks back the owner had some surgery or something....knees maybe? Anyway I find his prices to be through the roof on most items. $100 for an OMR of Fleetwood Mac? $85 for a buckngham Nicks with scratches?

Most of his stuff is unpriced and when you inquire about it he looks it up online and puts the highest retal price he can find on it most of the time. $25 for a Love Gun? Are you serious? Ask him to reconsider and he says he prices things fair and does not negotiate, ever.

Kind of an a$$ to be honest. I stay away from there.

Lakewood has a good spot, My Minds Eye. Mostly metal and hard rock but the occasional find is in there. Good guy running the show too. He is on Madison.

Just down the street is Play It Again Sams.......I like checking out the gear but he too is pricey. His repair service leaves me pissed off every time I use it.

If you want to go east of Cleveland then Waterloo, exit 152nd Street is great. Blue Arrow and Music saves....not to mention the basement of the Beachland Ball Room. And, best of all, high WAF in that area....arts dhops and vintage clothing, coffee.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I haven't been to My Mind's Eye in years. I need to fix that.

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Great shop.

Also, right down the street, Bent Crayon (on Detroit and W.116th). More of a specialty store -- only new product, very heavy on indie vinyl/cds and LOTS of electronic music and experimental music. Great selection and decent prices if you're into that stuff though.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed -- fun to look but I'd never buy anything in there at the prices he asks. Bought some tubes many years back for a guitar amp (pre-Internet, so I was limited on what I could shop for easily) and he really ripped me off.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Spin-More in Kent is closed.

I was in there last month for about two hours and came home with about 20 singles all in fairly nice shape for a good price.

I drove by today and noticed the place looked all closed up. There's a sign on the door with a phone number and a note saying they are closed but may open up in a different location in July.

He has a HUGE inventory of singles and LP's, much of it pretty worthwhile looking, if overpriced, though ttheir singles have reasonable in my experience.

Glad I got there when I did.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about Spin More. Haven't been to Kent in awhile but I'll play my Donna's Skin Tight and Otis' At the Whiskey A-Go-Go v2 tonight--the first two records I bought there.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

More info:

The full article is here:

http://kent.patch.com/articles/spin-more-moves-on-so-jimmy-john-s-can-move-in

11. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

The young man who runs Last Exit books across the street seems like a real nice guy, I enjoy dealing with him. Unlike Spin-More.

12. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Reading this today breaks my heart. It's as if a part of my life has died.
    I treasure all those lazy afternoons of my youth just hanging out there BSing with Phil & Dotty. During hard times I sold him some of my treasures & later realized I couldn't let them go & he sold them back to me for the same amt.
    I was always able to get a good deal on stuff & I genuinely liked him. I'm glad I was able to spend one more "lazy afternoon" hanging out with Phil a few months back.

I still have a bumper sticker from 25+ years ago. It simply said:
    Music Fever - Catch it at Spin-More!
    I still have the fever too. Thanks Phil!

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any info on time traveler?

still there?

still sh***ty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.