Al Stewart: Where Did You Come in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AllOverTheMap, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't think you'd be disappointed if you do. Even his (relatively!) weaker albums are full of gems.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Year of the Cat. Then I worked forward and backward from there.

Rodant Kapoor and AllOverTheMap like this.
  3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Love Chronicles, which I first heard at a December 1969 New Year’s Eve party, and acquired shortly after. And I’ve bought every release since.

My favorite of Al’s albums is 1995’s Between The Wars.

AllOverTheMap likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

P P & F for me. Roads to Moscow was the first song on FM radio.

5. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Past Present And Future, circa 1974. A friend used Roads To Moscow to show off his new Yamaha separates & NS 1000 speakers. I was immediately hooked and bought everything by him I could get my hands on for years after.

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Past, Present And Future upon release was my entry point. As so many times happens with me the first album experience of an artist remains my favorite.

7. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of all things, indeed. Very probably my least favorite Al song. You know when an artist relies on the "ation" rhymes, he has no fresh ideas for the song.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  8. AllOverTheMap

Oddly enough, your post follows the one about Midnight Rocks that I commented on. Oddly, because when I asked Al what his least favorite song is he went with Lori Don't Go. In other news, I'm delighted to hear of him touring with a full band again. What a treat for those who have never had the pleasure.

carlwm likes this.
  9. AllOverTheMap

Oh, good gracious, you should. Even if the lyrical thrust he puts forth isn't your bag, the ability to evoke a mood through his composing very much should be. And good call on the uniqueness of YOTC. I remember coming to a similar conclusion about him during my college years when I baited a friend who didn't get him to try and name another artist that could succeed in writing an Al Stewart song. He was properly speechless.

carlwm likes this.
  10. AllOverTheMap

I wonder if the show you didn't like was in L.A. I read in his biography that sometime in the late 70s he left the stage early because he was drunk. So out of character, but, hey, he was a rock star back then.

carlwm likes this.
  11. AllOverTheMap

"Dark magic." Very, very good. He's very adept at slipping in a lyric on topics he feels ambiguous about that really cut to the rotten core of an individual or event.

Joti Cover and carlwm like this.
  12. AllOverTheMap

It is truly a career-defining work, in spite of being completely ignored. But that's Al. Never deterred from pouring everything into what he has to know on some level -- namely, the commercial one -- is a lost cause. Rather like Pickett's Charge, you might say.

carlwm likes this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Year of the cat is all I have.

14. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Modern Times........love that album!

Joti Cover and AllOverTheMap like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What does Al know? He only wrote them. :D

I recall an interview where he was asked why he thought Year Of The Cat hit the zeitgeist in the way it did and he seemed baffled describing it as "a song I quite like but not in my top thousand."

Whether he was in a playful mood or that's his genuine opinion, I'm not sure.

16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Year Of The Cat. :cry:

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Ooooh...... don't you think that during the second half of the 70's he rather did it the Alan Parsons way? I mean "Year Of The Cat" and "Time Passages" have Alan's fingerprints all over it.

I'm also not sure why Sinatra is being bashed here. He's one of the most influential artists of the 20 century. Could you say the same about Al?

For the record: I'm familiar with Stewart's output and think that he made many decent albums. With or without Parsons. But we've gotta be realistic here.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Can't compare the two really. Apple & oranges and all that.

From my own point of view, I can certainly say that Al has been hugely influential in his own quiet way. He was at the vanguard of the singer-songwriter explosion in the mid-Sixties and, even without massive success, showed the way with his personal & literate lyrics and complex yet melodic tunes.

Not sure about how influential Sinatra was. He may well have been but his music doesn't push my buttons so I live in blissful ignorance about him.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  19. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Past, Present and Future

klockwerk and AllOverTheMap like this.
  20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Year of the Cat, followed by Time Passages and ending with Last Days of the Century.

AllOverTheMap and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

His later albums are some of my favourites. Definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard them.

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"King of Portugal", from Last Days of the Century, is a hidden, overlooked gem of a track.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Excellent song.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Borrowed Love Chronicles from the library when I was seventeen. I'd heard he was Dylan-influenced and one of the song titles was a Dylan quotation. At that stage, though, all I'd heard was Year Of The Cat.

A Beachful Of Shells is an astonishingly strong album for anyone at that stage of their career to turn out. Arguably his best, I'd say, from a sheer quality point of view.

25. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Came in with Oraange and have loved him ever since. Talk now, dare I say, of a NEW album.

AllOverTheMap and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.