Alanis Morissette in the Rock Hall of Fame - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

In another thread, there's been a debate about Peter Frampton's qualifications for the Rock Hall. Some of this got into the nature of "one-album wonders", artists who really only have one true hit to their names.

Which made me think of Alanis. In truth, she has more hits than just "Jagged Little Pill", but that album remains the sun around which the rest of her career revolves.

Assuming they don't count her Canadian teeny bopper albums, Alanis won't be eligible for the Rock Hall until 2020, so we won't know the HOF's inclinations until then,

Should Alanis be in the Rock Hall? Will she be in the Rock Hall?

Note: PLEASE avoid posts about how the Rock Hall sucks, is irrelevant, etc. Just focus on Alanis's qualifications and keep this from being a threadcrap festival!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  2. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Sure. Let her join all the other artists that don't belong there.

3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Sure. They should also induct Tracy Chapman,Lauryn Hill & Fiona Apple. Don't forget Fergie,Nelly Furtado and Jewel.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    quicksrt, RubenH, JFS3 and 12 others like this.
  4. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

It would be ironic. Don't ya think?

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, and I'm a fan. One blockbuster album and a a bunch of spotty album followups (some better than others) shouldn't qualify her.

6. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I feel sorry for the bloke who has to engrave the trophy.

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Well, in that case I say NO to her induction.

Jimmy B. and Jim G. like this.
  8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

One big album and the witness protection program gets you in the hall?

Jimmy B., JFS3, bru87tr and 5 others like this.
  9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

No, but she will anyway. If Joan Jett got in, A.M. will too.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

One really good album does not merit induction. Its not exactly life changing. On a personal level I LIKE Alanis. But it would be a no from me as well.

Isn't that ironic?

seed_drill likes this.
  11. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

No. If she gets in with a single blockbuster album, so should Hootie and the Blowfish.

somnar, goodiesguy, Aftermath and 6 others like this.
  12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Probably not, although she has done some good work over the years, and is a really great live act. As I would have figured, a little misogynistic behavior running through the thread.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

This should go well...

She likely won't end up being inducted. I believe ( but stand to be corrected ) that Rush are the only Canadian inductees to date. Should she be ? The prerequisites seem to be pretty fluid but if some sort of lasting influence on pop music is the prime one, I'd say "No". Her supporters will say she was at the vanguard of a generation of female artists inspired by her awkward lyrical overshare.

Oh, and the Hall sucks and is irrelevent, etc. Jes' sayin'... :p

D.D.

Murph likes this.
  14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You oughta know.

AndydD, Grootna, goodiesguy and 8 others like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Alanis has been more successful post-"JLP" than you'd think.

"Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" sold a lot, though it could be dismissed as a "coattails" album ala Frampton's "I'm In You".

However, all four of her new albums from 2002 to date made the US top 10, so she's continued to do pretty well. For comparison again, Frampton fell off the charts quickly after 1977.

She doesn't have the public profile she did 20 years ago, of course, but she's still had success...

16. Oatsdad

The big difference is that Hootie fell off the charts a few albums after their big hit, whereas Alanis never did.

I also think Alanis had a lot more influence than Hootie ever did. For better or for worse, she opened a lot of doors to women in the era...

17. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Re: the argument that having one big album isn't enough, I would point out that N.W.A was just inducted and they also had just one big album. Very few care about their follow-up work after Ice Cube left.

Various 50s/60s inductees have only a couple of big hit singles.

So I don't find that argument compelling.

Alanis Morisette was a defining 90s figure. One of the big things about popular music of that time was ownership of the full music making process- writing, band-leading, all aspects- of women. Of course others had done it before but that was really when it took off. Lilith Fair, riot grrrl, all that stuff. And I would personally place Alanis and Liz Phair as the two most significant figures in that development.

18. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Anyone ever notice that many Alanis' songs are mostly just lists?

• Ironic is just a list of things that are (or are not ) ironic
    • Hand In My Pocket is just a list of her physical descriptors, her emotions and what her hand is doing
    • You Learn is a list of things that she recommends
    • Thank You is a list of self improvement tips, and things/people she thanks
    • Unsent is a list of ex-boyfriends and unsent letters to them.

Kinda strange.

19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I find this both surprises and saddens me.

D.D.

20. Oatsdad

You forget Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Probably some others as well I forgot...

When I first thought about Alanis's qualifications during the Frampton discussion, I didn't think she made sense as an inductee, but the more I considered her "case", the more logical I thought it was.

I think we've started to forget just how many doors Alanis opened in the 90s. Call it "awkward lyrical overshare" if you want, but "introspective" female artists had a much easier time getting careers after Alanis's success.

I think the combination of her one massive album followed by continued success and enormous influence in her time period does make her qualified for the Rock Hall.

I started out a doubter but I convinced myself! :D

sunspot42 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  21. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

"Straight Outta Compton" ushered in a new genre of music. It's one of the most influential albums of all time. The album had a huge impact on everyone from Eminem to Kendrick Lamar. You're comparing apples to oranges.

AndydD, SITKOL'76, eddiel and 3 others like this.
  22. So what's the logic behind this comparison?

23. A dash of virtue signalling as well.

ducksdeluxe, starduster and enro99 like this.
  24. Oatsdad

The "one-album wonders" tend to focus on artists whose "one album" was enormously influential. Nirvana, GnR, Sex Pistols, NWA - all fit that category. Of course, these artists had other successful albums as well - except for the Pistols - but their major hit albums remain their benchmark.

If Alanis gets in, there's no question it'll be largely due to "JLP". I still think she has more credentials than just that, which is why the "Hootie Argument" doesn't work, IMO...

sunspot42 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Why saddens? Not a fan, I guess?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.