Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign 2017 Vinyl Reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot45, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That's what I think too. They make a big deal about meticulous quality and you get a bad pressing anyway?

2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I am amazed when I get a barely played record from the late 60s early 70s that sounds clean as a whistle. It has probably never been touched since it left the factory but does require cleaning.

3. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Craft Records just released an all-analog mono transfer from the original tapes for RSD. "Mastered from the original mono tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio and pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Memphis Record Pressing". My sister managed to snag me a copy which I am hoping to get to listen to soon! An absolutely fantastic record that is certainly worthy of the treatment!
    Keep a sharp eye out, as there might yet be copies floating around over the next few days. There are already copies available on-line for what appears to be a modest but not unreasonable markup.

Dreams266 and Arnold Grove like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

:righton:

5. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i loved that albert king lp when i was a kid. it was given to me on my 10th b'day and yep, i've been down, ever since i was ten.

along with aretha's landmark "never loved a man" lp and booker t & the mg's "hip hug her". the beginning of my musical education.

i'm a "cross cut saw". :)

bluejimbop likes this.
  6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Thanks got a copy of this for $23 this morning after reading this last night

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I fancy this

8. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Nice! We get gouged something fierce in Canada, but for something like this I just ignore the sticker and focus on the fact I'm going to get my money's worth playing it over and over and over again :)

9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This new Kevin Gray Albert King cut of Born Under A Bad Sign is absolutely perfect. It has some serious punch. When a record gets cut right you just cannot beat it. Let’s hope Kevin Gray & Craft cut some more Blues Classics.

10. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I’m hoping the Mono from Kevin Gray gets a wide release from Craft. I like the digital version.

11. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

You are getting me excited I'm am supposed to get my shipment from RSD from Plaid records today and this is in it.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

You should be, I liked it so much I sent Kevin an email praising his efforts. I have the latest Tone Poet release & many Music Matters titles. The guy just produces gold every time.

E.Baba likes this.
  13. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I don't own any original pressings, as they're just really stupid expensive, can't justify the expense at all. The copies I do have, are the 1998 Sundazed, the 2018 German Speakers Corner, and the 2019 RSD mono. I'd say that the Sundazed is the inferior one of the three, not that it totally sucks, or anything. What a great album, though. I like it all, but that title track never gets old. There are days when that song is stuck in my head all day. No complaints.

James Bennett likes this.
  14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have Sundazed too up against the new Mono it’s gets left well behind. My quest for the perfect copy is over I am very happy with the RSD.

monomusic likes this.
  15. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Did you compare to original Stax?

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Really want a non RSD release of the Kevin Gray.
    RSD version was asking AU $55 here. Too much for me.

Only thing affordable is the Stax.

James Bennett likes this.
  17. James Bennett

Instant buy if in the $30-$35 range.

18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

No I do not have one sorry.

Dreams266 likes this.
  19. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

If you're referring to the 2017 issue, it's nearly impossible to find, in America, at least. None on eBay, only one on Discogs (from Serbia), and I've never seen one in a record store, either.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's just ridiculous - Concord needs to get this back into print.

mgb70, tubesandvinyl and E.Baba like this.
  21. James Bennett

Wanting the 2019 Craft Recordings RSD issue mastered AAA by Kevin Gray.

I have the Speakers Corner stereo, but would buy the Mono, too. Love this album.

monomusic likes this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

A lot of people do. That 2017 stereo pressing went in and out of print so fast it made my head spin. You'd think Craft would have looked at that and thought, "Hm, maybe we should make more than 1K of this mono for RSD," but nooooo.

James Bennett and monomusic like this.
  23. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I'm not even a pure blues fan, whatsoever. Yet I can't put that album down. It's a masterpiece. I love staring at the cover, it's so badass. I even went and got a t-shirt with the cover on it. That's how badass it is.

24. James Bennett

It may still come. It's only been a few months and factories are at max capacity from what I can tell/have read.

25. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

The Craft mono RSD reissue is phenomenal, and worth the money I paid for a sealed copy a few weeks ago. I've read that the hi-rez of the Craft reissue available at HDtracks is almost as good the vinyl for those who can't find / afford the vinyl. It's on my wishlist.

Headfone and James Bennett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.