Album reissues that replaced the original versions of songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by little_earthquakes90, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Doors early 2000s CD remaster of the debut

"She gets high!" in Break On Through and swearing in The End.

The Stooges Raw Power only had the 1997 Iggy Pop remix available for a while after that. The original Bowie mix is back again now.

Queen - Jazz now has a 'long lost kick drum' in the mix of Jealousy on the 2011 remaster. Totally unnecessary and it misses a beat at one point.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jimmy B. and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

U2 on Under A Blood Red Sky (Remaster): middle part of The Electric Co. where Bono climbs around the stage. It was always my favourite song from the concert and this senseless cut out kills off most of the atmosphere.

Jimmy B., bataclan2002 and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Terrible. My favourite track and part of the album. It was done for copyright reasons when Bono sings a bit of Send In The Clowns. It's an awful cut and I'll never part with my LP because of it.

bataclan2002, ARK and Teufelzkerl like this.
  4. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

The original version of "Fool" is superb, whereas the remake lacks something special to my ears.

5. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

You recall correctly.

The original version of "Dance Away" was the same basic recording as the single hit, but the single remix replaced that as well on later pressings of "Manifesto".

rikki nadir and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Though not an album and a compilation, for some bizarre reason the Singles version of Trash by Suede in 2003 has re-recorded vocals so obviously not the single version...how ironic.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The CD edition of 'Get the Knack' that I bought in 1990 had a censored version of "She's So Selfish" that I've never heard anywhere else. Then, of course, there's the infamous, cringeworthy case of 'The ZZ Top Sixpack.'

Jimmy B. and bataclan2002 like this.
  8. There are a few variations between the LP and subsequent CD version of A Secret Wish, the debut of German synthpop band Propaganda. The instrumental "Jewel" is replaced by a vocal mix, and the songs "Duel" and "P:Machinery" are replaced by their single mixes.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I think all of the Megadeth remasters from Peace Sells up to and including Risk are remixed...not sure what the point of that was. Maybe had something to do with Ellefson not being in the band anymore at that time.

Jimmy Agates and Anonamemouse like this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Duran Duran-Rio
    The original U. S. Vinyl has many noticeably different mixes than the CD I have.

deredordica likes this.
  11. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

They indeed were remixed, unfortunately. None have improved whatsoever.
    CtE was the first one, and that was done silently. It's a shame certain artists really seem to dislike their fans enough to do things like this (a certain Metallica drummer who is 80% deaf comes to mind)...

Queezma likes this.
  12. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are so many versions of Pele, it’s ridiculous.

The original version
    The original version but replaces “Talula” with the tornado mix.
    A version with “Hey Jupiter” replaced by the Dakota mix AND “Talula” replaced with the tornado mix.
    A version with the Pro. Wid remix and no voodoo
    A version with Pro. Wid remix, Dakota mix, tornado mix AND no Voodoo.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The original "Angel Eyes" is actually the big rocker on that album-- It has a whole different feel without it.

There's an alternate "Dance Away" on some versions too.

rikki nadir and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I've just had to have a listen to the original version as I haven't heard it for years, and you're right - it's actually not laid-back at all, rather this rocking, slightly avant-garde thing that was better than I remembered. It's actually not a bad version at all, which makes it curious that they decided to swap it out for the single version.

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The self-titled album had 3 different versions. The original UK release had one song that didn't appear on the other 2 versions ("To The Shore") and the 1983 Capitol re-release added "Is There Something I Should Know" and had a different album cover with a then-current picture of the band. A longer version of "Planet Earth" (listed as Night Version) was used on the first US release on Harvest and was set as the opening track instead of "Girls On Film".: Duran Duran (1981 album) - Wikipedia

RevUp64 and c-eling like this.
  16. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

That's the opposite of what this thread is about, though. In those cases, the single versions supplanted the album tracks, which is why they were used on the hits compilations.

17. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Steve Hackett's "Highly Strung". On the reissue they have severely edited versions oh "Cell 151" and "Walking Through Walls". They also messed with the running order of the songs. Why? Just why? Fortunately I still have my original LP on Epic from 1983!

nosticker and Dodoz like this.
  18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Is it though? The thread starter mentions hit mixes replacing the album mixes.

19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I think "Rhonda" and "Ronda" are on two different albums

Jimmy B. and Drifter like this.
  20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

It's actually funny how they added stuff that wasn't on the original issue. It's usually the other way around !

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

My buddy has a weird copy - side 1 is the later pressing, side 2 is the original! o_O

Jarleboy and ARK like this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Milli Vanilli's "Girl You Know It's True" changed a bit after the first pressing:

* "Baby Don't Forget My Number" was a DRASTICALLY different song - different enough from the familiar song that it seemed like a mistake. (If you've ever owned the album on vinyl, you've heard this one.)
    * "More Than You'll Ever Know" is structured differently, with a breakdown that's missing from the common version.
    * "Take It As It Comes" has an extra verse ("it's a difficult thing when the one you love says goodbye") that was later edited out and replaced with a repeat of the previous verse, for some reason.

Being a Frank Farian production - the guy who obsessively remixed and reissued all of Boney M's albums - this isn't a shock.

Weezer also tends to tweak songs after the initial pressing ("Say It Ain't So" getting a very small, insignificant remix; "Hash Pipe" losing half a chorus to match the sloppy music video version; "We Are All On Drugs" having one line replaced; etcetera).

Jarleboy and Dodoz like this.
  23. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

The addition of 'Is There Something I Should Know' made commercial sense at the time, I suppose, but artistically it completely wrecks the album. The change in production approach between that track and the rest of the album is glaring!

Drifter likes this.
  24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes, I have three different edits of "Exposure", LP, 1st CD, Double CD reissue, then there's other versions of tracks on Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs" and Peter Gabriel III (maybe II, can't recall without checking my shelves). I don't know about UHM/GStQ, I only have the LP.

Tristero and pierogy like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Dire Straits' first album.
    The single version of 'Sultans Of Swing' fades out a couple seconds later during the last and long guitar solo while the album version is shorter. In recent CD reissues the single version is used for the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.