Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Holy balls, you guys! This changes everything! MACHINE LEARNING INVENTED THE MIXTAPE!

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's a good point.

When the time comes where I actually can keep up with new album releases, then the album is probably in major trouble.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's what I reckon lol

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Funny clown jokes about make believe watches. I get it.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

LOL, very funny. Modern Dad salutes you.

Machine Learning invented the Automated No Duds Allowed Mixtape. That's pretty good for $3 a month.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nice one! I love this album. I'm still a vinyl guy though, I'm sorry to say!:)

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Agreed. He's a character!

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

9. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

All these anti-physical media folks listen up. Twelve years ago I was one of those. Sold off my CD collection after I burned it all to itunes. After countless minor problems and glitches with itunes and the discontinuation of the ipod classic I changed my tune. This year I said screw it to music files and went back to re-buying physical CD's. Although it cost me close to 2k to rebuild my collection (many bought used) I have never been happier. I will never again worry about converting my files to lossless or does my 256kb sound better than 128. I am now just enjoying the music at high CD quality and reading liner notes. Sure....I can't take my music with me when I'm working outside or traveling, but I enjoy concentrated music listening. It is a much more enriching experience. YMMV

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have a decent CD collection too, and I definitely can see how this is a fun way to experience music for sure with the liner notes and the physical item to relate to. I will give you my perspective on it though which will differ however is just a different look not better or worse!

For me, my iPod Touch has 256GB, and I have an easy drop/one-click convert program that can convert any file to any bitrate whatsoever (mostly lossless for me), and my one device has all my preferred masterings via MFSL, SHM, needledrops, BluRay rips, etc. all contained and easily accessed. For me, turning down the lights, putting an album of my choice on with my iPod and enjoying it, or enjoying any album on my library anywhere at anytime, has been a delight and my own personal preference

I think that is really the beauty of modern times, for all its faults - thankfully we can all still personalize our ways of consuming music! All ways are valid to me - and I still love collecting CDs whenever I really relate to an album for what you describe - for the ability to hold it in your hands and enjoy the art and the liner notes

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  11. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I can understand this. A downside for me has been a few rare music files and b**ts that I had on itunes but have had trouble tracking down physical copies of.
    I should also say that a computer crash was a big reason for me going back to physical copies. I had a backup but it still frustrated me.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Here's something funny....
    A collection of songs, whether, recorded in one session, collated from many years, taking the form of a greatest hits, taking the form of an anthology, taking the form of a best of .... is an album..... so in relation to the streaming playlist makers that claim the album is dead (even though there is too much evidence to suggest the album as we know it, is certainly not dead) a playlist, is a compilation, and by definition an album ... lets go and listen to some albums :D

Buddybud likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Beter run a sensor diagnostic. You're coming up a little light on the Hot Gas...

D.D.

Fullbug and Gaslight like this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sure but i won't announce it though wanted to here.

15. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

CD's are portable as well!! Carry mine and my CD player, works as well for me today as it did back in 1999. Plus it runs of replaceable batteries,meanwhile people are replacing their smartphones every few years. Talk about wasting money!

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  16. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Bullinski. Go talk to the Siri and ask her about album sales -- oh wait a minute, she's created my Apple so she'll tell you whatever Steve Jobs II wants her to tell you LOL

Albums are alive and well and CD sales are healthy and vinyl keeps moving up. But you just keep believing it's like a Howdy Doody puppet because that's about as real as you are!

Doggiedogma and Rocky's Owner like this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I started renting a space in a vintage / crafts shop in September. In the first month I sold 16 records. In October I sold 18 records. In November I sold 54. As of today (Dec. 9th) I've sold 37 in December. And this is in a town of 2k. I'll call hornswaggle on albums are dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2019
    fretter, Fullbug and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although you do realize that everyone isn't just using smartphones for playing music only, right? lol this comparison is not really indicative of anything with all due respect - and I say this as a person who loves CDs

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I just checked, and my albums aren't dead. You really had me worried for a minute...

lazydawg58, blair207 and Fullbug like this.
  20. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Look I’m on the side of the album, always have bought them, always will.

I stream quite a bit these days (as well as buy as many new CD’s as I ever have) but unlike Modern Dad I hardly ever listen to playlists, just full albums.

While there are many great albums still being made, let’s not pretend that sales are anywhere near what you could call healthy. They are fairly dire.

Someone used the Who’s new album up thread as an example of good sales. I can only speak from the UK side of things, but can see that in the early sales figures of the new album they have shifted a bit over 20k units in the first few days.

Yes, the Who are sitting at number 1 at the moment, but those sales will be front loaded with the advance orders. They won’t likely sell tens of thousands more before the end of the week and will probably be overtaken by Robbie Williams and Rod Stewart albums that have been out a few weeks.

So for the Who to be doing less than 50k for their first album in forever, in one of the busiest music shopping times of the year does not look good to me.

The album may not be dead, but it sure is limping along with great difficulty.

Tristero and Witchy Woman like this.
  21. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Don’t forget, cds will be discontinued on 1st January 2020.

:righton:

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

While all these folks who stream and download everything are risking getting their ID's stolen, I just pull out another cd or lp and listen to the music I love.
    After all the "Baby Boomers" and "Gen Xers" are dead, maybe, just maybe music will only be streamed. Right now there is too much money to make. :)

Eventually concerts will probably only be available on TV.
    The world gets uglier everyday.

23. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

All Bums are dead! Hallelujah I'm A Bum... who's gonna tell Jolson.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Paranoia running rampant. I think you are on the wrong thread,
    this ain’t then physical v streaming thread. :whistle:

Witchy Woman likes this.
  25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Last thing in the world I'd want is an algorithm telling me what I'm listening to next. I can be playing Public Image Ltd, and all-of-a-sudden get a hankering for Dusty Springfield.

Let me know when Siri can orchestrate that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.