Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I've had more sales than a chart topper. Everything's coming up Milhouse.

Hammerhead likes this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exotiki and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

There are lots of options.

I still buy CDs but if it's a few bucks cheaper for downloaded FLAC files I'm fine with that. I just rip the CDs and they go on the shelf anyway, I don't even have a standalone CD player. I've got all of my music in lossless files on a 4 terabyte hard in my desktop PC, shared on the home network. My desktop PC has an external USB Dac/Amp that drives a pair of powered studio monitors (inexpensive ones but fine for what I use them for), and I've got the media server for Foobar installed so I can use the Android version on my phone to access anything in my music library when at home. I've considered setting up a Plex server so I can access it from anywhere, but I've been working from home for four months now and doubt I'll be back in the office this year, and leisure travel isn't going to happen in the near term, so other than a daily hike I'm just not out and about enough to bother - but I may revisit that at some point.

My main headphone rig at home uses an old Microsoft Surface Pro, also running Foobar, accessing the library over wifi from my desktop share and controlled using the MonkeyMote app on my android phone. USB from the Surface to a DAC, to a headphone amp, to my HD 6XX headphones.

I'm old too, but I work in product management for a software company and one benefit is I'm comfortable mucking around with computers and software, and actually kind of enjoy it.

phillyal1, lazydawg58 and Gaslight like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Dang that sounds complicated and exprensive! I like to turn on the receiver, put the album on the turntable and push the start lever. Life is complicated enough already.:magoo:

5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

There is plenty of fantastic sub 100$ DAC's, it doesn't need to be a super expensive addition. If you already have a PC that can be integrated into your system. It can be done with little hassle and expense.
    So do I! But I also really like the advantages a digital route allows in addition to my turntable.
    Your tellin' me brother :agree:

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Nice track . That one got past my Yes radar. I can see how you and other Yes fans are overloaded by Tales From Topographic - I saw that tour, my first Yesshow of several , and Topographic was a Saga - just stunning. Having experienced it first hand, the album is a gateway to a Yes Realm, much like their other overlong, overproduced, and chaotic Epic, Relayer. Not so much about songs as a journey.
    Tales may well be a "you had to be there" record, limited to its time and audience.

We align with Close To The Edge, however. In some ways my favorite Yes.

Have you heard the Steve Hoffman DCC remaster of Close To The Edge? It is phenomenal. Alchemy.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

That Tales tour was something else. That was my third Yes show and it was soooo much better than the previous two. The quad sound was unbelievable. The band was super tight and expressive.

8. speedracer

Wow, yeah man - I am happy to have the album to revisit, as honestly I was too young to really get it. The show made quite an impression, I recall it like a vivid dream or a visit to another world.

Just listened carefully to "Awaken" - Same Yes Realm, a later more civilized epoch. Tales and Relayer were more difficult listening for the Pioneers of Yes Realm, they were the Abstract Wilderness Struggles and the Chaos Wars Fought to settle the New Lands so gloriously civilized in Wagnerian symmetry by the time of Awaken.

9. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

speaking of Yes and they're more civilized epochs/epics, has anyone climbed "The Ladder" to their glorious yet rather unheralded 1999 release "The Ladder" recently?

Has aged well, methinks.

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. speedracer

What's an "anime tart"?

11. I think you're being coy. But since you asked, at least some of these pics qualify
    anime girl at DuckDuckGo

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    speedracer likes this.
  12. speedracer

Lol. Yeah, you got me, was just pushing back a little on the Taylor-bashing.

I wonder how these types would react to a gal singing "Whole Lotta Love" complete with moans and groans?

Panama Hotel likes this.
  13. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

The big question is, where is @schnitzerphilip? He doesn’t seem to have been around for ages. Threads like this don’t mean nothing without Modern Dad.

Stay safe sweet prince.

14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I don't think albums are dead at all. A few years ago a local band would offer a CD on their website or at their merch table. Now it seems that those same bands offer CDs and LPs. I just got an LP from Jonathan Parker, an excellent country singer from his website. This is the first time any of his work has been available as LP, with all the others just CD and download. It's a totally DIY operation so I don't think he would be doing it if their wasn't the potential to make, not lose money from doing it. I think this is a trend we will see going forward.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

hmmmm.... i seem to keep buying them.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

17. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Hell yeah!

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No one buys albums anymore? Good to know, as I look at four recent vinyl purchases that will be played this week

19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I haven’t noticed the death of the album. When browsing Qobuz new releases each Friday, there seems to be dozens of new albums to choose from. I buy new album downloads all the time. It seems alive and well. @PhantomStranger succinctly summed up the relevance of Billboard on the first page of this thread.

I have noticed the death of the B-side though. It seemed B-sides were added to 7” singles because the side was there to be filled. CD singles were often EPs to add value to the format. But in the streaming age, an artist can put energy into a track, whip up a cover, then post it on Bandcamp or on a streaming service. There seems to no longer be incentive for a B-side.

Vinyl_Blues and Giobacco like this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its one heck of a headline, one sure to grab people's attention, but its only true to a certain extent.

But actually, they aren't dead, they're merely slumbering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.