Albums known to have been released against the artist's explicit will

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dondy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I have a few of these CDs. Rather good in my opinion.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I have always liked this album.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :cool:

Did Wolf try to stop the album's release? Perhaps not. "Will" is defined as wish or desire (among other things) though, and Wolf's witnessed unhappiness during the recording sessions, the title of the album itself (indicating his pre-release opinion of it), and the language Wolf used to describe the album collectively tell me that its release was against his wishes. If you disagree, so be it.

The perceived value in connecting with the younger crowd by means of this album was through the eyes of Marshall Chess---we have no documentation Wolf concurred in this case. Any album he would call dogpoop argues to the contrary, IMO.

Kingsley Fats and ianuaditis like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

[​IMG]

A horribly recorded record released by SST...in a vindictive measure to pay for all the legal fees after the "U2" problem.....

ARK likes this.
  5. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Prefer this to Harder Than The Rest, has a bit of an early Burning Spear feel production wise, but not released with the band's permission apparently

[​IMG]

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Curb was shady even before they were a country label. In 1990, they released a CD called The Best of Sparks: Music That You Can Dance To. It was literally just the 1986 album Music That You Can Dance To in a different order and a new sleeve, packaged to look like a compilation.

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Good in parts. I think when Manuel Gottsching heard about them he was absolutely furious but when he actually heard them he said they were pretty good.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes I think we'll have to disagree. I think it's a case where myth and hearsay and little else to go on rules out any meaningful discussion.

As a fan of Miles Davis alumni Pete Cosey I have a lot of time for both The Howlin' Wolf Album and Electric Mud and the follow ups that the allegedly distraught artists willingly participated in.

supernaut likes this.
  9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I can sum the hate for More Of The Monkees up in just a few lines...

You'll see. You'll see.

And if the lines that I say fall apart, it's because...I won't know where to start...

TimeWarper likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What a great photo! Arti looks.... tall! :laughup:
    "The band"? Or rather Carl McCoy? :evil: I'm still mourning the break-up of the original band because neither Rubycon nor Nefilim lived up to "Elyzium".
    Well, I wasn't putting down the music. Rather the way it was released without permission and RUK pocketing the profits.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It sucks and she can't sing - like any other Madonna ;)

12. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Except for a couple of duff tracks it is great!

Sean likes this.
  13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Given that the band - whomever The Nephilim/Nefilim were - changed lineup several times in 1993,1996,1997 for an ill fated reunion, 2000 for a handful of live shows, then again a few times, these days I regard The Nephilim as Carl and whomever's on the payroll at the time. I always thought that if they could carry on the potential of "Elizium" they'd've been staggering.

xeplica and Neonbeam like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's one track nobody liked. There at least eight very well loved tracks on that album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Absolutely!

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

this one was mentioned before

[​IMG]

supposedly Clapton was hugely pissed that Page recorded them jamming and then it got issued onto an album without his consent. Read about it here:

Guitar Boogie (album) - Wikipedia

Sean, hi_watt, ARK and 2 others like this.
  17. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Those eyeballs are real you know...

18. Gormenghast

Gormenghast Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tiny Tim - ‘Concert in Fairyland’
    After ‘God Bless Tiny Tim’ became a hit record a small label released these recordings Tiny had made with no intention of making them commercially available. Tiny claims this record which actually sold fairly well since the public assumed it was his new album derailed his career.

19. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why? Was in stipulated in his will that he didn't want these out? :confused:

Lost In The Flood and hi_watt like this.
  21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Isn't 'Cut the Crap' of The Clash also one? I remember it was released by the manager and I can't believe members of The Clash would be pleased by the results...

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Strummer did go ahead with it. Rhodes had convinced him that this electronic sound was the future, and he professed a lot of enthusiasm before the album flopped. They put a lot of it together in a New York session without the band proper.

Some of the other Clash members were less pleased, since they hadn't gotten to play on it.

23. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Heck, that was the album cover!

The Howlin' Wolf Album - Wikipedia

24. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The Grateful Dead did not approve of the 1970-71 releases of Vintage Dead and Historic Dead, collections of 1966 live recordings released by Sunflower/MGM. Wiki says, "A label called Together Records assembled live recordings of various Bay Area bands for a planned anthology. When the imprint collapsed, MGM paid the remaining debt and assumed the tapes, releasing two albums of Grateful Dead material on their Sunflower Records subsidiary." So, MGM had the legal rights, whether the Dead liked it or not, but the albums never have been reissued.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The record label didn't force him to change the album (they probably didn't even have the power to do that, since he was recording for his own Dark Horse label and they were merely the distributors). They simply told him they didn't hear anything that sounded like a single on it, and he responded by deciding to rework the album and replace four of the songs. He wasn't happy about their reaction and he may have preferred his original version of the album. But there's no evidence that he disliked or disapproved of the reworked version or did not want it released.

Library Eye, Suncola and DTK like this.