Albums like Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ryan Lux, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I think Monk's Blues is disliked because the arrangements are very busy and loud, essentially reducing Monk to a sidemen on his own album. You really don't get much of his style coming through the bombast. If you listen to it as an Oliver Nelson album covering Monk, it's a little more palatable. As a Monk album it's not one of his best.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Has anyone recommended any Duke Ellington?

Duke Ellington.

3. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Phil Schaap, who produced and oversaw remastering of the 1997 reissues of the Miles and Gil Evans albums, tended to go for a bright sound. Like you, I prefer the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces editions of the Gil collaborations, or the versions in the Complete Columbia Albums box.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member Thread Starter

I see, good point. He’s such a unique composer that he still comes through plenty to my ears.

Jason Michael and danasgoodstuff like this.
  5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Because Monk wasn't as involved and its slicker probably. I like it too.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Birth of The Cool and Gil's own 60s albums.

8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member Thread Starter

Is the Complete Columbia box a different mastering than the 97 reissue? Sounds the same to me.

9. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I'm not a huge Ellington fan -- I know, I know, that's a major character flaw -- but of the Duke albums that I've heard, "Such Sweet Thunder" is the one that most reminds me of Miles' "Porgy and Bess." Maybe it's because on that album Ellington's band plays relatively quietly and sweetly (though it does occasionally thunder). Are there others like that in the Ellington catalog?

10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh for sure. A bunch of the “Suites” are generally cut from the same cloth, although they might not be quite as mellow all the way through. But lots to explore there for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.