Albums people hate that you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Sep 21, 2018.

1. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

One of her best albums. I doubt she expected it to sell in the United States.

"The old hand throws a crumb".

Davido likes this.
  2. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I always liked Press to Play. Maybe the cheesy MTV video didn’t help at the time, but this is a gritty record that I have always enjoyed. Not top-tier Paul but even his worst albums include gems.

3. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

NYC Ghosts & Flowers is disliked more I'd say, and it along with A Thousand Leaves and Sister are my favourite SY albums.

Tristero likes this.
  4. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I think never watching MTV probably helps with a lot of artists.

5. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I beg to differ. Personally I love them, but some people do seem to hate them. Much more for their image than the actual music. I don't get it, but then again, I am an ABBA fan.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I do hate ABBA. For everything, really. I don't find any redeeming qualities. But I'm allowed, I'm a Swede.

Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Of course you are allowed. :agree: No problem - as if you needed my blessing. :laugh:

DavidW and DTK like this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I like Everybody's Rockin', it's the only Neil Young album in my collection. My only complaint about the album is that it is too short. Considering the types of songs on the album it should have been possible to find a few more covers for the album.

9. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I love Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans

Russ Joyner and Cryptical17 like this.
  10. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Re: ABBA
    I used to be embarrassed to admit I like ABBA. Then I heard that Pete Townsend, John Lennon, Ray Davies, and Elvis Costello were fans. Some years later, Kurt Cobain said he likes them.
    John Lennon said that S.O.S is one of his favorite songs. Did he say that in a Rolling Stone interview? Playboy? I remember being surprised when he said it but can’t remember where I first read it.
    I would always turn up the radio for that song and Dancing Queen when driving alone. I wouldn’t dare do that with others around. I was young.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Pete Townshend. Auto-correct. I’m unable to edit. It will bug me forever if I don’t correct it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. aeroplane

aeroplane Well-Known Member

Bought twice from two different cutout bins, first on cassette then later on cd. Originally a blind purchase that I had low expectations for. Instead I was rewarded with as you say, a really good album. Deserved a better fate and it is bull that the current non-Gramm lineup won't play anything from it live.

carlwm, Jarleboy and Karate Chop like this.
  13. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

I don't hate ABBA, but I do find them tacky and embarrassing. No amount of reappraisal hype is going to convince me otherwise. Not going to deny they had some very catchy and enjoyable hits. A good compilation of their best work is all I can stomach occasionally though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Unlike my fellow Uriah Heep fans I really, really like the 1980 "Conquest" album. Sure, it's radically different but the atmosphere of the tracks really appeals to my late night listening. Lots of atmosphere. I'm a sucker for atmospherics so I am able to ignore John Sloman's vocals which do come off like a stumbling, falling down, puke in the gutter drunk version of Glenn Hughes.

Another Uriah Heep album I like but fellow Heep fans hate is their 1985 arena-rock album "Equator". I grew up in the 1980s loving those minor chord, 'ooh baby I love you and without you I would die' type of power ballads and melodic rock arena choruses. I was 15 when it was released and that was the formula that I loved.

James Gang's "Straight Shooter" and "Passin' Thru" albums. The 2 albums made with Domenic Troiano. Rather funky. Great grooves. Side 2 of Passin' Thru gets really bogged down and boring but side 1 more than makes up for it.

James Gang-Newborn. From 1975. Only album with Bubba Keith later of Point Blank. I just think it's a solid rock album. Nothing more.

Todd Rundgren-With A Twist....I just love the relaxing aura of this stuff. Many of the tracks on this album I've grown to listen to more than the original recordings. And Todd's richly textured ethereal harmony vocals are to die for!!!!!!

Todd Rundgren-(re)production....Like the above disc I love the radical musical facelifts that these cover version give songs from the past that Todd produced the original recordings of. I especially feel that "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" got a major breath of fresh air.

maui jim and carlwm like this.
  15. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

Empire Burlesque
    Down In the Groove

Takehaniyasubiko and Cryptical17 like this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said!

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like most phases of Uriah Heep's career but Equator is still the one I play the most.

Rockerbox likes this.
  18. Oriolesfan

Oriolesfan Forum Resident

I love Saved

Moshe likes this.
  19. Oriolesfan

Oriolesfan Forum Resident

I love the whole Johnny Cash Mercury period. The Mystery of Life would be one of my albums on the mythical desert island.

20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren-With A Twist....I just love the relaxing aura of this stuff. Many of the tracks on this album I've grown to listen to more than the original recordings. And Todd's richly textured ethereal harmony vocals are to die for!!!!!!
    Todd Rundgren-(re)production....Like the above disc I love the radical musical facelifts that these cover version give songs from the past that Todd produced the original recordings of. I especially feel that "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" got a major breath of fresh air.
    Both of these albums are hit and miss. Enjoy streaming them for the highs and move on to his more recent hit and misses.

Rockerbox likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is how I feel, I like SOS, The Name of the Game, Summer Night City and Take A Chance On Me. Stuff like Money Money Money and Gimme Gimme Gimme though, I'm not having it! I don't hate them though, it's good pop music and the productions and vocals are immaculate.

22. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

Adam Ant's Viva Le Rock for me. Not considered his best album by most, but I love the energy it has.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

While "Conquest" isn't my favorite album by them, it's better than it's given credit for.

Rockerbox likes this.
  24. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Byrds (1973)
    CSN(Y) - American Dream/Live it Up
    Wings Wild Life
    Ringo's Rotogravure/Stop and Smell the Roses
    Rod Stewart - Camouflage
    The Who - Join Together (1989 Live LP)

25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

u sure have a strong stomach when it comes to those CSN(Y) albums. And i am a big fan of the band...

Man at C&A and csnfan like this.