Albums ruined by brick-walling

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thouston, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

The LPs sound like the CDs should sound. If they would release the LP masters onto CDs, they would easily be some of the greatest-sounding albums ever released. Helplessness Blues especially. There's no reason why a digitally-recorded album should require a turntable to listen to it.

2. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Here is a waveform of the Dan Baird Album I downloaded yesterday.

blaken123 likes this.
  3. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

I don't think so. I am fortunate enough to use Meridian DSP speakers in our home. Compressed, lower dynamic albums are almost tolerable on my 5200s although you can tell they are mastered poorly. If I switch to my listening room with the 8000SE speakers (which I hope are no less quality than in the mixing/mastering studios) then the poorly mastered albums really show up. Painful at times. Increasingly I believe that the artists either do not know or do not care. Bob Dylan's recent albums (not the Sinatra covers but his own) sound awful on CD but the vinyl rips sound fine. The SACD of Love And Theft is also very pleasant. So in this instance the music is recorded well but released into the wild on CD in an awful form.

I love my music and spend silly money on collecting it. I am desperate to avoid buying vinyl (as the collector in me would cause bankruptcy) but the state of many modern CDs is appalling.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    mozz and blaken123 like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

And yet that's been the case for almost two decades now. :sigh:

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If they're told to do it, they don't have a choice. They have bills to pay and do what the client asks, same as any other business.

6. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I've read many times on the sh boards that Helplessness Blues sounds significantly better on vinyl than cd, but I am skeptical. I don't have a vinyl rig, but I might be willing to invest just for this album if it truly sounded a lot better. Can anyone point to some clips of some well-done vinyl rips of this material for comparison?

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I think Owen Morris has admitted to using compression the same way pistachios used to be dyed red.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Although I get why the first couple Oasis albums are mentioned, it's never bothered me because it's just been part of the Oasis sound for that time, imo. I can't imagine the first 3 albums sounding any different. They are a mushy, loud, noisy, fuzzy, glorious mess. :)

Erik B. and Dodoz like this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

______________ produced by Rick Ruben.

10. As one forum member posted earlier Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth is one of the most, if not the most compressed album I've ever listened too. They're my favourite band but absolutely ruined the album with such amount of compression that I think started at the mixing stage as the double LP set doesn't sound much better than the CD.

Dynamic Ranger and Ryan Lux like this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have all their albums on vinyl.

If I remember correctly, listening to the Sun Giant EP that first time on LP is what eventually sold me on the format again. But not because it's "better"....

Agreed. It's not the format itself, more what's done with it.

mikaal likes this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

An atrocity!

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have never had any problem with Vapor Trails. Clockwork Angels is totally unlistenable. It is just a wall of noise. Reminds me of being at a concert for a awful death metal band that uses a blown Fisher Price Amp.

poe_man and BDC like this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Most, if not all the Acid Mothers Temple cd's are brickwalled/compressed/clipped to HELL :realmad:

nosliw likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

CA sounds much better on vinyls

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The first 2 Oasis albums, and all the songs from the time could have MUCH better sound

Remember those threads prior remastered versions?
    The guys involved raved about ANALOG master tapes and all that. I can clearly remember reading about 'Whatever' with original DR10 ... and then they gave us a DR6 "remastered" thing

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

bobcat likes this.
  17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I don't doubt it. I am CD only, unfortunately. I keep hoping Audio Fidelity will get a crack at it at some point.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Also better in hires. Not great, but definitely better.

Scope J likes this.
  19. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

they have ears, but their smoking the stuff, to keep them awake for all the late nights. they mix it so it keeps them up

20. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Wow !!! That's incredible!! :eek::eek::eek:

21. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The Go-Betweens - Oceans Apart

jimmydean and Dam like this.
  22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Yep, I distinctly remember hearing that album, being impressed at the song quality, then never being motivated to listen again. Especially annoying as EVH had made some comment in the press shortly before it's release about how important it was not to overlimit.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I haven't heard the vinyl. A friend of mine told me it was much more tolerable, I don't know to what extent though. The CD is BAD...

manicpopthrill likes this.
  24. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Amy Winehouse: Back To Black. The only CD I've immediately taken back to the record store and demanded a refund. As it was popular at the time the store gave me the secondhand value.

Dodoz likes this.
  25. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.