Albums ruined by brick-walling

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thouston, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Now that would be the ultimate irony. Is the reissue of "The Wall" brickwalled???

searing75 likes this.
  2. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Wow... I never thought I'd see HoB mentioned here! These guys are friends of mine! I have known Ed since we were about 15.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have discussed it with Ed, but since he has severe tinnitus he can't hear the difference... I begged him to do a better job on future projects.

ziagg and nosliw like this.
  3. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I add Synthesis by Evanescence to this list. It could have been an earthshaking album, now all it is is dull, with distorted crunches where window shattering crescendos could have been.

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Awesome! It's a fantastic album despite its very poor dynamic range digitally and CD. Give my regards to Ed that I love HoB!

I'm trying to get the original 2008 pressing of that album but it's very expensive these days. Dan Swano does the mastering and mixing of that album and he does create dedicated masters/mixes on LP for the work he's done (i.e., Pan.Thy.Monium and Toxaemia reissues by The Crypt, etc.) so I'm hoping that the LP version will be better with respect to dynamic range.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  5. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Anything produced by Mr. Brickwell himself, Jack Knife Lee. Should have known from the name alone. R.E.M. used him on Accelerate, and it ruined the album.

poe_man and Dodoz like this.
  6. nano nano

nano nano Forum Resident

Pretty much everything by Rush I've heard since Test for Echo.

As a related aside, when you see the plethora of vinyl releases for these known offenders with much better dynamics on DR Database, is this due to actual better mastering or is it still the same crap in analog form?

poe_man and shirleyujest like this.
  7. I didn't know that, but I do remember on an interview he said he didn't quite like digital for recording, that it was fine for mixing but not recording and stated that no Van Halen album had been fully digitally recorded, all tracked to analog and F.U.C.K. and Balance being mixed down to digital. He also stated never to have used ProTools and that he never will as (I quote literally) "ProTools sucks the life out of music", but A Different Kind Of Truth was tracked and recorded digitally and using ProTools. He's my favourite guitar player but it's sad to discover that he's also prone to lie.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I was floored when i found out that Mr Brickwall used to be in a second division band that I already knew, Compulsion.
    Yes, he's the opposite of subtle...He was hired again for REM's last album (that I much prefer to "Accelerate"), "Collapse Into Now"...

9. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Yeah - the band's target market was hardly audiophile - more like hoodied young thugs wasted on cheap lager LOL :D

10. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I have to play devils advocate and say Blue & Lonesome isn't that bad that it deserves to be listed here.

Vinyl_Blues and macdaddysinfo like this.
  11. Don Hills

Don Hills Forum Resident

A agree strongly with your sentiments.
    Sadly, complaining about it here is like wetting your pants while wearing a dark suit.

12. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips have been dreadful offenders. Great music, exhausting listen unfortunately:

The Flaming Lips

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I guess most of Megadeth post 2000 era is ruined by brickwalling mastering one way or another. Most notable mentions from me are recent Dystopia, where even vinyl and Mastered for iTunes don't sound that good to general standards imho (the only good way I heard is fan made de-clipped version of the album) and The World Needs a Hero - my God, that clipped/distorted hiss sound for the whole "telephone" part on 1000 Times Goodbye on the left channel is something...
    Good standouts are only Th1rt3en, Super Collider (thanks to HDtracks versions) and TSHF vinyl. Maybe UA and Endgame too but they only have German vinyl versions that are somewhat rare and expensive for the most part.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

"A Different Kind Of Truth" eh? I wish it was called " A Different Kind Of Recording."

That said, with DR levels of 5 and 6 it makes a great burn-in disc. :D

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Residents pREServed Editions

:realmad:

fRa likes this.
  16. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Definitely not!

Dodoz likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Janet Jackson Number Ones compilation sounds awful. Great song selection, terrible sound quality! :(

18. Everything by the Manic Street Preachers, at least since they came back as a trio.

bobcat, thematinggame and drum_cas like this.
  19. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Chili Peppers - I'm With You

I love this record but the CD is impossible to listen to. There's a great MTV doc of them playing this entire record live in the studio almost note for note, and it's a masterpiece by comparison.

telepicker97 and pantofis like this.
  20. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

What the hell is brickwalling anyway?....and what is too much brightness??........I never notice when I listen to some of these songs that are supposedly either/or....

21. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

It's really too bad actually as Dan's Solow is an excellent record chock full of good songs.

22. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

XXL

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

23. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

This is the ONLY album/cd, that I pour more treble on, like salt. Like most here (I assume) tone controls have always stayed flat. I find this album is greatly helped by a little goosing of the treble. I was desperate to fix it so I tried. It helps but it's still a disaster.

24. davidwatts

davidwatts Well-Known Member

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods is pretty bad

pexie, jimmydean and Tristero like this.
  25. I first noticed the phenomenon on Vince Gill's High Lonesome Sound album from 1996. This is supposedly an HDCD, but everything sounds as loud as everything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.