Albums you bought for one song and it turns out to be the only song you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jc1303, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

These guys defined the term "flash in the pan". I remember going to shopping malls in 1980 that had record stores (actually, in those days they all did) and a huge poster of the album cover for Get The Knack would be in their showcase windows. Then, it was a big deal when they played Carnegie Hall. For an extremely short period of time, The Knack was "everywhere".

Chew likes this.
  2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Booker T and the MGs - Green Onions

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You think all of EC's albums since 1983 have come with only one good song each? :wtf:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Jimi Jamison-When Love Comes Down....I loved his voice in Survivor. "Taste of Love" on this solo album sounded promising. Rocked a bit more than what I was used to from him so I was expecting a lot of good melodic arena rock.....This album blew chunks. Half because of the horribly cheap production (very demoish) and half because of something I never thought was possible..HIS SINGING SOUNDED HORRIBLE ON THIS like he recorded his vocal tracks drunk.

Saigon Kick-The Lizard..."Love Is On The Way" was a hypnotically beautiful ballad...The rest of the album was like a hairband on LSD. Oddly, their follow-up album, "Water" is an album I cherish.

Jimmy Page-Outrider..."Wasting My Time" excited the hell out of me when I graduated high school in 1988. I mean, it's Jimmy flippin' Page! So imagine my jaw dropping like an anvil through the floor when I played the rest of it. Even the one reunion song with Robert Plant made me want to overdose on a bottle of aspirin. And the other guy who sang on it (especially "Prison Blues") sounded worse than John Sloman on Uriah Heep's "Conquest" album...and that's really saying something because I always thought the vocals on Heep's "Conquest" sounded like a puke in the gutter, falling down drunk version of Glenn Hughes.

carlwm likes this.
  5. Frobozky

Frobozky Forum Resident

I liked the song Der Kommissar. This was at the time many still listened to radio. A relatively close rock station was giving the album After the Fire (also the name of the band) away as a "call-in" prize. This was a contest where, in this case, the seventh caller received an album. I won the album. The first cut on Side A was Der Kommissar. I was stoked. It was much better than on my car FM radio. Then came the rest of Side A. Ugh! I now knew why it was a give away.

6. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

I bought As Good As Dead by Local H and Fashion Nugget by CAKE after hearing "Bound for the Floor" and "The Distance" on the radio.

I expected the classic hard rock sound of "BftF" to make it easy to like Local H over CAKE.

I was very wrong. I tried to like AGAD out of principle since I'd spent hard earned dollars on it, but...

A few songs were listenable, but nothing that came close to the stature of the "hit".

On the other hand, FN and Prolonging the Magic were 1st team 90's classics in my book.

7. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Harry Chapin - Verities and Balderdash for "Cat's in the Cradle".

Granted, I probably gave up after one full listen. My adult ears my hear things differently than my teen ears.

REO Speedwagon - Nine Lives for "Back on the Road Again". Some other songs are probably decent, but compared to the crunching AOR of "BotRA"...

carlwm likes this.
  8. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Actually, around age 14 I felt disappointed with my purchase of Fire and Ice (nothing else had quite the riff of "All Right Now"). By my late 30's I began to figure out that I actually really liked the whole album and went on to purchase 4 more. Now, I just need the live album and Tons of Sobs (and Back Street Crawler) to complete the quest...

What an underrated band!

BluesOvertookMe and Jarleboy like this.
  9. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Title track, When You Were Young, For Reasons Unknown, and Bones are all excellent...

timind likes this.
  10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

That Dexy’s Midnight Runners lp. Come on Eileen indeed.

11. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Me too!!

timind likes this.
  12. Longinus

Longinus Forum Resident

No Quarter was the only song from Houses of the Holy I wanted to hear, never cared about the rest.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha! When Love Comes Down is the only Jimi Jamison solo record I haven't got. I've been looking for it for years. Sounds lucky I haven't found it! :)

I would recommend Empires (credited to JJ's Survivor) and Crossroads Moment though. High quality AOR records, both!

Rockerbox likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Back On The Road Again is a monster of a track and, for REO, Nine Lives doesn't quite hit the spot as much as they normally do but there are still five other songs on it that I dearly love. Give another blast to the Gary Richrath tunes, if nothing else, Three of his very best! :)

CoachD likes this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Pure Instinct , Scorpions. :edthumbs:

16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

America, years ago, whichever album has “A Horse With No Name” on it.

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Maybe not one song each, but I haven't liked much of anything he has done since 1983. LOVED everything up until then.

18. Oatsdad

I get that 1977-82 is EC's classic run, but I like a lot of his work since then.

"KOA" is top 5 all-time EC for me - and maybe top 3!

mbrownp1 likes this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I know...I'm an oddball. I just can't get into the rest...maybe it's all just not "hooky" enough for me. Those first few records were punch you in the face hook-laden magic.

20. Oatsdad

Admitting your mistake is the first step to recovery! :D

mbrownp1 likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

If all you had ever heard by Extreme was More Than Words and Hole Hearted, I can see how you thought they were a pop acoustic band that might open for James Taylor, and were surprised to find they were actually a metal band with funk influences. But forgettable? No way: Get the Funk Out, It ('s a Monster), and Suzi (Wants Her All Day What?) are delicious songs with excellent guitar by Nuno Bettencourt.

Who'sTommy, dunkoid and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Hair of the Dog: Nazareth. Guess which song.

carlwm likes this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Whiskey Drinkin' Woman? :)

24. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I have the album. Just not good and way too long. III Sides is the same for me although I do like it a little better. Just an opinion.

25. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Rossington-Collins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.