Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Not yet. I've known a few people with cancer, and the ones who kept going enjoyed their time the most. I wish all the power in the world to him.

brownie61 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I think it was just genuinely fast. Alex said he had to catch his breath, at the end of Double Jeopardy.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

4. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Here is the second half of the interview from this morning's GMA:

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Tomorrow is Alex Trebek's 80th birthday. :)

6. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

At the end of this interview video, there was the question of Alex Trebek's ability to still host the show.
    From my visit last October, out of around 300 questions asked on 5 show tapings, Alex only had to re-record 3 of them all day. And they were difficult pronunciations of some Eastern European food dishes which anyone would have had difficultly with. He was still very sharp at that time.

One other thing I found quite interesting is that Alex reads all his questions from a huge map sized piece of paper prepared by his staff- like 3.5 ft by 2.5 ft in size- that has pronunciations, notes, etc. then written by him on it. I always thought he was reading from video monitors in the studio that the contestants use and we see at home. He changes the sheet for each new board. He showed us the huge paper sheet before the first taping that day and it barely fits on his lectern.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I saw that sheet on Facebook a couple months ago, and was shocked, because, I assumed his podium was as high-tech as the rest of the set and there was a monitor on it. In last night's rerun of the premiere, it was actually obvious that he was reading a sheet, as he held up a marker, while pointing to a contestant. It's actually extremely impressive, to me, that he can find the answers so quickly.

MikaelaArsenault and Davosco like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

Happy 80th Birthday Alex!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't think it was sped up or anything-I'm pretty sure it was just the pace of those older episodes.

They didn't even seem to have as long to get their answer out before Alex called them out and they moved on to the next question.

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. MikaelaArsenault

12. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I enjoyed reading his latest book. I sent it to a family member of mine who is still dealing with their own same cancer diagnosis as Alex.

13. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

I meant to respond sooner but that first season allowed contestants to buzz in before Alex finished reading the questions. Later on they changed it to buzzing only after the questions were completely read- otherwise you are locked out. Happened to me once at the live audition on a question I knew quite well.

So the episode seemed chaotic and rushed compared to what we have been accustomed to for many years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.