Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AveryKG, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I really like it, although I have to admit that I don't know much of Alice's work besides P'tah the El Daoud and Journey to Sachinanda. I'd be surprised if anyone into those two albums didn't also like it.

pghmusiclover and e.s. like this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I've yet to listen to the full album either, but from what I've previewed, it seems to have a somewhat similar sound to Journey in Satchidananda.

pghmusiclover and e.s. like this.
  3. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

4. Satchidananda

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

[​IMG]

I'm assuming this will be from Fantasy/Concord. Hopefully the reissue doesn't have the "Original Jazz Classics" logo on it as pictured on Acoustic Sounds website.

Joe Henderson Feat Alice Coltrane-The Elements-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Comet01 likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is the Superior Viaduct reissue of Universal Consciousness, a gatefold sleeve? I see it is manufactured by Universal. Is the pressing any good?

7. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

For anyone considering the recent reissue of 'The Elements', I can confirm that it's a very good pressing. Nothing to compare it to, so if you want to know how it stacks up to a first press or something I'm not the guy to ask. But anyone just considering getting it, I can't see them being disappointed. I know I wasn't (in the music or pressing).

pghmusiclover likes this.
  8. Rawkdude

Rawkdude Forum Resident

Was just reading about Illuminations SACD thread on here a few days ago..had never heard a lot of Alice's stuff listened to it on You Tube and Amazon Prime will definitely be picking up some physical product soon.

Simon A and Comet01 like this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

To answer my own question. Nice pressing. Gatefold, tip-on construction.

Satchidananda and pghmusiclover like this.
  10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Quick note about this LP -- "Manifestation" is actually (from) the same performance as "Leo" on Infinity, but edited differently (e.g. the theme statements have been edited out) and of course without the strings. Trane's solo is the same, but more complete on "Manifestation."

11. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

$40 shipping to Canada :sigh:

13. Satchidananda

I just saw that Vinyl Me Please reissued Journey in Satchidananda a couple months ago. I’m wondering if anyone here has heard it and can review the mastering/pressing quality. I’m assuming they started with digital for this, but do we know if any master tapes for AC still exist and are usable? I would guess if they were available one of the audiophile labels would have already tackled them.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I picked up one of her albums when I was in Berkeley as an impulse buy. At first I pretty much hated it - Transfiguration - I hated the organ - not my favorite instrument - but it has grown on me - there are some nice piano pieces - but geeze the organ is just an awful instrument - press a key - get a sound no matter how hard/soft you press it - which is how the songs with it sound - no feeling.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  15. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Amazing Alice live at Carnegie Hall in 1971 despite the video saying it's 1972. Full set that night was:
    Journey in Satchidananda - Shiva-Loka - Africa - Leo

About 7 years ago I contacted Alice's daughter Michelle about trying to track down the whole tape of this and she said she'd get in touch with her brothers about this, but I didn't get any response after this.

Kristian1980 likes this.
  16. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

I love all her stuff, agree about Journey and love World Galaxy and Translinear Light...too.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

According to Discogs, it's a GZ pressing with in-house GZ matrix codes, so it's probably from a digital source. Forum member GeorgeZ is a GZ representative, so he might be able to comment... but more likely than not, he's not able to comment on the label's business. Maybe try contacting VMP directly?

Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders - Journey In Satchidananda

Satchidananda likes this.
  18. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I'm definitely a fan of jazz organ. However, I find Alice's organ sound to be awful.
    Her tone is identical to that of an oboe ... not organ-like at all. To me, it sounds like nails on a blackboard.

I'm grateful that Alice didn't play organ on Journey and Ptah (albums that I love).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    rebellovw likes this.
  19. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

She's an amazing musician. But I have to say I found her appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz an unsettling experience.

I suppose some of her inarticulateness could be ascribed to shyness and/or spirituality. But her almost childlike demeanor and bizarre accent (definitely not one she would have acquired growing up in Detroit) seriously made me wonder if she'd suffered some kind of brain episode.

20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks - good to know and to always be open. At first I didn't like the xylophone - now I really love it - love Bags.

Comet01 likes this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Man I'm listening to Transfiguration once again - just non stop playing the organ with backing musicians - as if the more notes she can get in the better (she needed a lesson from David Gilmour) - no rests- just scales all over the place no dynamics - just monotone rambling. Yeah - I hate this album.

Soundbath and Comet01 like this.
  22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I've just discovered Journey in Satchidananda, and WOW am I blown away by this album. Totally brilliant from start to finish. Is there a hi-rez download or a remaster out there worth looking for?

Chris M, e.s. and Satchidananda like this.
  23. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I totally missed The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda upon its release in mid 2017. I had a few iTunes gift cards from the holidays and downloaded the album a few days ago based on the reviews and liking what I heard from samples. I LOVE this album. I now must buy the LP to hear the two extra tracks and to read the liner notes.

sbeaupre, Lonson and Satchidananda like this.
  24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

25. sivad

sivad Active Member

Yes, there are fans in your part and nearby...I often play in Pittsburgh with a duo-used to be called Siamese Twins-with Strollo. We should talk next time Strollo and I have a gig in town. I will be there visiting end of march to work on some music at Strollo's Studio. Peace

pghmusiclover likes this.