Alice In Chains Dirt Vinyl Reissue coming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmcgoldrick, Jul 30, 2022.

1. jmcgoldrick

jmcgoldrick Forum Resident Thread Starter

They didn’t cancel my order or anything, but I’d love to see what’s on the deluxe. Might consider an upgrade if there’s anything worthwhile

2. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I still keep my order on the US amazon site but if they'll show up in Europe I will cancel.

3. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to this but if the “deluxe” is as pitiful as Facelift reissue was, it’s an easy pass.

4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Wouldn't there be some press about this by now if it's coming out next month?

Sean, JRose and iworkatinitech like this.
  5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Jay Allen, Sean, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Boomy likes this.
  7. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Not sure

8. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Isn't the MOV cut supposed to be good? I wouldn't know, I didn't pick it up when it came out and don't you have to get a 2nd mortgage to get Alice in Chains MOV releases these day? Maybe it'll be that *shrugs*

mr. faded glory likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have the MOV. Its ok. I honestly didnt compare it to the cd though. I hope Chris or whoever did the "Facelift" reissue has done this one.

ODShowtime likes this.
  10. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

The MOV is good in my opinion. However I believe it could be improved upon. Two LPs is a good start.

11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

He surely did.

12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I hate to say it, but I own both a U.S. original and the MOV.... and the latter is better. Just a wider soundscape and more dynamics. I was as surprised as anyone. Glad I decided to test the MOV before it went OOP, I'd avoided copies for years assuming it was gonna sound worse.

Of course, the original has that awesome etching on Side 4 so I'm never getting rid of it.

TheRealMcCoy, Sean, Murph and 4 others like this.
  13. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    FWatty likes this.
  14. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

To add to that: I grabbed an original Euro vinyl of JoF way before the world went mental with prices and threw it against my MOV. The MOV was indeed great, goosed-up bottom end a bit, compared to the original, but my MOV copy (bought brand new around when it was released) had some pretty obvious IGD on the lead gtrs on Whale & Wasp that always bugged me, leading me to try out the original Euro. The Euro sounded just right to me, more like the CD i was obsessed with as a teen, and there was no IGD on Whale & Wasp.
    So anywho, more food for thought! The MOV pressing was indeed 90% great in my book! Plus ya get that great SAP slab along w it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

If interested: I did a shootout 'tween the MOV Dirt, the original U.S. vinyl and the original CD a couple of years ago.
    Alice In Chains "Dirt" - Original Euro vinyl vs the MOV pressing vs the Amazon Music HD 16/44.1

nosliw, Sean, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Would love this to sound good. Might be asking for too much but if this was a dirt colored LP that would be sweet, as well :shh:

17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fascinating.... So looking at Discogs, it seems like most countries got Jar Of Flies by itself. Only the U.S. got the 2LP "set," which was later replicated by MOV. (Except for the etching on Sap.)
    So for whatever reason, the U.S. press used a different (less dynamic) mastering than the Euro press. That's a shame. It actually has as much bass as the MOV, but the whole mix is more compressed, which is why I didn't notice the MOV had goosed the low end.
    Ah well. I guess I could sell the MOV now to afford the original Euro.... HA! Probably just gonna be satisfied with what I have tho.

TongueDruid and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I never thought the MOV of Dirt sounded all that great, personally. Certainly no better than the original CD, as @TongueDruid confirmed. Too much music per side doesn't help.
    My friend has an original, and he likes the sound, but he didn't think it was worth the current prices, so I've been holding out for a true 2LP reissue.

I REALLY hope they can go back to the original uncompressed master tape and get a really nice digital transfer from that. (Maybe ask MoFi for help?!?!) And then get Bellman to work his magic. That plus spreading it over 4 sides should be enough to make it the definitive vinyl version.
    Obviously we'd all prefer to cut it straight from the analog master, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. A lot is gonna depend on who does the mastering from (I assume) the hi-res digital files.

19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

if they could get Bellman to work on this itd be fantastic. He did great job on the Ritual De Lo Habitual with splitting that across 2 lps

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

MAN if it sounds as good as Ritual I'll be a happy man.
    I thought Facelift was good, not amazing, but still have high hopes for Dirt.

mpayan and Swordsandchains like this.
  21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Anyone see other pre-orders?

22. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Experience Vinyl has it for 34.98. (I am not affiliated.)

FWatty likes this.
  23. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Bob Ludwig remastered, CB did the cut. I bet Dirt will get the same treatment.

mpayan and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Hopefully on the 12th they'll put the whole press kit out there. They did a box set for "Facelift" so it's possible their popular album would get one :shrug:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Like others said, it's okay. I had it briefly and compared it to the PBTHAL needledrop of the OG and it was a big difference (OG was way better.)