Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

I saw one Jerry solo show on the DT tour (Austin). Comes With the Fall opened, and Duvall sang backup/lead on some of the AiC songs in Jerry's set. I don't remember who the two musicians were that played with Jerry, but it wasn't Inez and Kinney. No second guitarist, from what I recall. Pretty sure they played about 50% of the set as a trio. It was a damn good show.

Umbari, ifihadafish and éder like this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I want it! Keep in touch

3. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I'm not saying Dirt is a bad album. In fact, I love it and think it is a great album. And most hard rock/grunge aficionados would lean towards it as AIC's best. However, for me, the vocal work by Layne, Jerry's guitar, the lyrics and the overall ambiance on Jar of Flies are all hauntingly superior. When I want to focus on the music, just relax or am feeling melancholic, Jar fits perfectly.

As it was "only" an EP, I feel that it does not get the attention it deserves. But the foreshadowing of the songs on Jar are worthy of the Bard himself.

Wasatch and éder like this.
  4. éder

éder Forum Resident

There seems to be divided opinion amongst AIC fans on the new version of the band. Some fans ( like myself) just can't accept the band without Layne even though they love Jerry,mike and Sean and other fans see no problem.
    For me - no matter how good Duvall is- having no Layne staley is a such a massive deal breaker.. When we talk about Layne we are talking about one of the best rock singers ever. We are not talking about a normal guy - its LAYNE 'FREAKIN' STALEY for heavens sake !
    Would AIC have made it without that voice ? Would the new version of the band be as succesful or as popular today without their past discography with Layne ? ...
    Yes- we all know Layne's addictions and ill health prevented Alice in chains from doing more tours and albums and i can understand why the other members of the band wanted to continue playing together - but why not use a different band name.
    Would The who be the who without Roger Daltrey ? Would Led zeppelin be led zeppelin without Robert plant ? Would the rolling stones be the rolling stones without Mick jagger ? - the same applies to alice to chains.

daca likes this.
  5. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Would AC/DC be AC/DC without Bon Scott?

It can happen.

DrewHarris and ARK like this.
  6. éder

éder Forum Resident

Yes it can happen - but it was entirely different circumstances for AC/DC . They were still an active band and bon scott suggested johnson as a replacement didnt he ? Some AC/DC fans prefer johnsons vocals as they were more powerful - but see scott as the better artist.. im no expert on AC/DC so forgive me if i'm wrong there.
    Was Bon scott in the same vocal league as staley and did he give AC/DC a unique sound like Layne did for AIC ?
    It wasnt just the powerful lead vocal lines that Staley gave to AIC it was also the unique background harmonies..
    Cantrell may have written the bulk of the songs but Staley brought them to life.

Wasatch likes this.
  7. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Thank you, Dave :righton:

8. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I think AiC tried a different approach with Jar of Flies. It sounds different from their previous releases. "No Excuses" and "Nutshell" are great songs. I listened to that album a few times but I couldn't enjoy it. I don't know why.. maybe because I prefer their heavy side. But it's just me..

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

"Don't Follow" is beautiful.

éder likes this.
  10. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I forgot about that one :laugh: haven't listened to that album for a long time :shake:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Relax, bro.. I don't really care about DuVall either.. but it's good to see Jerry-Sean-Mike play together again ;)

éder likes this.
  12. Wigwam

Wigwam Active Member

As good as Nirvana's mtv unplugged gig is I'd argue the AIC show is just as good.

Huntigula and éder like this.
  13. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

The performance of "Nutshell" was/is beautiful..even better than the studio version IMHO :righton:

14. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Bon Scott suggested Brian Johnson replace him in AC/DC? Was this before the band decided to carry on after Scott's unexpected death?

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Check My Brain is incredible. I love the entire Black Gives Way record. Really good stuff and a huge surprise to me when I first heard it.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. éder

éder Forum Resident

I dont know much about AC/DC.. but i thought i remembered reading somewhere that Bon scott said if anything happened then johnson would be a good replacement after watching him at a gig ..

17. éder

éder Forum Resident

I am relaxed ! I'm just stating my opinion.
    Im not saying that anyone has to agree with me. This is just a friendly discussion/debate among AIC fans.. .. and jerry, sean and mike were playing together on Cantrell's solo work..

18. éder

éder Forum Resident

I don't agree with that... it is a great version but the 'jar of flies' version is absolutely stunning with Cantrell's solo outro.. Laynes voice is also superior on the original version..

ARK likes this.
  19. éder

éder Forum Resident

This is AIC ... what a voice.. duvall does a good job when he covers this song but its not in this league..

jay.dee likes this.
  20. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I saw AIC earlier that year (summer of '91) when they opened for Anthrax and MegaDeth on the Clash of the Titans tour.

They were similarly on fire that day as well. Layne had a really long chin beard that was braided into a pony tail with beads and Anthrax had dancing girls on the top of their speakers, funny the things you remember. Anyway, he must of been heron free at that point.

éder and Wasatch like this.
  21. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Yeah, it's a great album. The first time I listen to it I was like "Damn! What a great album!" :laugh: My favorite from Black Gives... is "Your Decision", what's yours?

22. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I know you love Layne, me too man.. but he's gone. I think the other 3 guys just do the AiC reunion for the sake of the fans.. Some people missed AiC, they wanted to see AiC again even though they knew there would be no Layne.. Sometimes I think it they should use another name and play as a power trio.. would be awesome :)

IMHO it's better than the studio version :p Layne's vocal is so emotional, the acoustic guitar solo fits this song better :cheers:

éder likes this.
  23. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Alice Cooper lost the whole band but is still AC. The Who, after losing two members are still The Who. King Crimson is still KC and has only Fripp remaining. Jethro Tull was still JT and had only Ian Anderson as an original member. Pink Floyd lost Roger Waters....
    I'm okay with the band carrying on. They account for 75 percent of the original outfit. Why shouldn't they carry on? It's their band.

éder, Umbari and Jeff Kent like this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

25. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Well said, man:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.