Alien / Predator Movies Poll!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, May 7, 2020.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cadbury‘s chocolate bar. :agree:

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

There was a feeling I had watching it that Requiem should have been better than it was. A weird case of not having any particularly interesting or memorable characters, so when the people were onscreen, they were little more than cannon fodder for the creatures. That's okay, but the movie itself needs to be a little more interesting and lively for that to work I think.

Someone mentioned somewhere online how fascinating a real Aliens/Predator film could be, with little to no actual dialogue.

I distinctly remember AvP being widely panned and disliked when it came out. I liked it. Definitely had the spirit of the first two Pred & Alien films.

3. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

If I was going to take four of them to a desert island, it would be Aliens, Predator, AVP and Prometheus. Granted, I've only seen 3 others (Covenant, Alien and The Predator).

I had been seeing the AVP comic books for like 15 years before the movie came out. I was dying to see them battle it out on the big screen. And while the movie can't be called great, I wasn't disappointed in what I saw. I think they delivered what was advertised.

Also keep in mind James Cameron, after urging that the studio not make the movie, later came out and said he thought it was "the best possible" AVP movie that could've been made, or something like that.

I'm also a big fan of Prometheus. I was extremely disappointed with Ridley Scott changing direction and making a total rehash of Alien in Covenant. I mean The Wolverine completely ripped off the extraordinary self-surgery scene in Prometheus. If another big-budget movie rips you off, you must've done something right.

The original Alien is too much of a pure horror movie for me to love. That's not the kind of movie I want to watch over again. I like action much more than horror. Prometheus has a lot of horror too but it's got mystery and some Big Ideas which makes it more interesting to watch overall.

I thought The Predator was fairly entertaining. Turning it into more of a comedy seemed like as good an approach as any. And I thought Shane Black put the movie together pretty skillfully overall. It didn't look cheap or cheesy.

Pete Puma likes this.
  4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I love that one too. Great!

5. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

There were bits and pieces of this in both AvP's, but making this the basis for a movie... (mind blown) YEAH! I'd pay to see that

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. alexpop

Do fans really like theses movies.

Predator 2,...... 44 votes ?

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Were you expecting P2 to get a ton of love??

8. alexpop

• I would say AVP:Requiem was even better than The Predator(2018)...boy did they screw that one up.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  9. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

1. Alien
    2. Aliens

3. Predator

The rest is not in the conversation.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

11. alexpop

Pity AVP: Requiem ending lent to the idea that in AVP:3 earth was planning on using Predator’s technology to go to Predator world.

12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The Golden Girls Predator video reminds me of the "Inappropriate Soundtracks" YouTube channel which did over 50 videos 10 years ago. These are some of the funniest things I've ever seen on YouTube. My favorites are the Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill ones.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boonehams/videos

13. alexpop

Disney..
    Predator 5 starts shooting next month in Calgary, finishing September, 2021.

Working title : Predator 5: SKULLS

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Aar Gal likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Is that really the name?

Can’t believe Disney is making this. Though the last one was pretty cartoony.

15. alexpop

Working title “Skulls”. Aka Predator 5.

Love the story idea.
    Period piece set in the America 19th Century about a young female / male Comanche.

Disney could be onto a winner.
    No cast details yet.

Aside: Marvel comics Predator ..delayed till late 2021.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Alien: A genre defining classic.
    Aliens: Very good, if not a little overrated.
    Predator: Phenomenal.
    Predator 2: Very underrated, solid follow up to the original.
    Alien 3: I like this a lot, but it's certainly flawed.
    Alien Resurrection: I liked this upon release but it's gone way down over subsequent viewings.
    AVP: Speaking on the extended version; this is a fantastic flick and I'll never get the hate for it.
    AVP 2: Just awful.
    Predators: I was so excited that Robert Rodriguez was working on a Predator flick, but what a let down.
    Prometheus: Much like AvP, I don't get the dislike of this movie. I love it...it's a visual feast and I love adding to the backstory.
    Alien Covenant: Much like AvP2, this movie is terrible. Everything good about Prometheus is jettisoned.
    The Predator: I wasn't going to bother with this since I consider Shane Black an amateur film maker (and a bad one at that) I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this. Much better than Predators and Covenant.

17. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have to agree. The first Predator and Alien were very good movies. Great in the Sci-fi genre, but very good in any comparison.

As it turned out, once Arnold’s character realized he could hide with mud, he became the Predator. At that point, he could have escaped. The Predator couldn’t see him. But Arnold wanted revenge for the death of his squad. The scene where he lights the fires than yells for the Predator to come is a favorite of mine.

And I think Predator 2 was a good sequel. Some of the acting and directing was wanting, but Glover turns into a great Predator.

I think the second Alien movie, “Aliens” was also a good sequel.

A few of the combo movies were ok.

Chrome_Head and Curveboy like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

I agree with all of this up to Prometheus and Covenant (reverse opinions). Particularly P2 and the first AVP--two very solid follow-ups to the original Arnold film that are underrated by most.

Aliens is a classic, but I do find it a bit on the overrated side.

alexpop and Curveboy like this.
  19. alexpop

Aliens cast is good.
    Though jump cut to 1990 and you get to see Bill Paxton in a better film imo...
    Predator II.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

There's loads about Alien Covenant that I really love - it looks incredible, the cast is great (Danny McBride is a revelation), and there are some truly terrifying set-pieces - but I feel the whole is less than the sum of its parts. The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it all just feels like a bit of a mess, and a real backpedal from everything that was interesting about Prometheus.

Did all the engineers on the planet just live in that one little area?

21. alexpop

What’s the genesis of The Predator dredlocks, cool look... what’s the story behind it ?

22. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I remember various sources credited James Cameron with coming up with the Predator's "mandibles." Not sure who came up with the dreadlocks. But this led to some negative commentary from Roger Ebert on Predator 2 saying the dreadlocks were implying that African-Americans were "predators" in the big city, although he liked the first Predator and didn't mention them there. In 1996, Hillary Clinton would take the metaphor even further in a speech calling kids in gangs connected to drug cartels "superpredators."

How about they call the next movie Super Predator? :)

I'm pretty much entirely on board with Curveboy's assessments. I liked Prometheus, AVP and The Predator and didn't like Covenant at all. Also don't think Aliens is one of the greatest movies ever made. Some of those other ones I haven't seen but have a feeling I'd agree with him based on my impressions.

I don't think that we should expect Disney to make a "warm and fuzzy" Predator movie because they're Disney. I hope not. I remember back in the day when they had the Touchstone label or others to distinguish their films made for adult audiences. And they owned Miramax as of 1993. So Pulp Fiction was a Disney movie. In fact, it was the first Miramax film greenlit under Disney. I'm not sure if Disney is still going to be labeling their Fox properties as Fox now or what.

This idea of Predator 5 going back into the Old West period...I'm pretty sure one of the Tremors sequels did that too. But, wow, the plot synopsis is pure afterschool special preachiness about feminism. Just what everyone was asking for more of from Disney after Mary Sue Rey and Captain Marvel.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Well in all the Predators films that females were involved, as a warrior ..guess the underrated AVP ( Paul A Anderson ) is a good example. Though the Predator usually keeps the female for breeding purposes with Aliens. The Comanches in SKULLS are young .. male / 18-25. I like the premise of American natives skill set against the Predator .. though Sonny‘s(Landham) six sense didn’t do him much good in Arnies version. Apparently the films being five years in the making.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  24. alexpop

Didn’t mind Covenant myself, but lacked the big WOW factor in Prometheus, storyline.

25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Predators in the past fighting primitive cultures is great. Strong female heroes are great as we know from Ripley, Leia, Sarah Connor. But when the film is pitched as a preachy message film about a woman proving to the "old boys club" that they're wrong to be so sexist, it becomes an exercise in condescension. There's nothing wrong with burying these themes in a movie subtly. But how subtle can it be in the movie when it's written into the plot synopsis so overtly? This is what Google's giving me on the plot synopsis.

"Kee is described as a tomboy, who fights against gender norms to prove that she can be just as strong as any male Comanche warrior. "