All hail the 2 Toms, the highest grossing non-spandex actors.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by finslaw, Jan 25, 2023.

1. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears Thread Starter

Browsing the Wikipedia highest grossing actors page I noticed that only 2 actors didn't pad their stats with Marvel superhero movies. Those 2 are Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise, one being this generation's beloved James Stewart type capable of great comedy and drama and the other a man whose haters have to eventually come around that he kicks butt often, and has some comedy and drama chops too. Who is your favorite of these box office champs that did it the hard way? Top films?

2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Haha, I was one of those haters who came around. But I still prefer Hanks.

finslaw likes this.
  3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Splash
    Edge of Tomorrow

finslaw likes this.
  4. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

As a person Hanks. As an actor who pushes himself, Cruise.

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Hanks has been in a comic book movie...

6. finslaw

I'm kind of surprised Harrison Ford isn't on the list, if it was adjusted for inflation I wonder if him and Christopher Lee would be in it. But Star Wars is awful close to superhero movies.

Hmmm, which one? Marvel?

Apparently he has recently been in talks to play a Marvel villain. Makes sense he'd like the movies, his first great love was Jason and the Argonauts.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Road To Perdition was a comic. Decent flick and one of the only films Hanks plays a bad person.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. finslaw

Ok. Honestly a bit of a tangent though. No spandex, Marvel or superheroes. But he may join the MCU very soon.

altaeria likes this.
  9. Crack To The Egg

It’s not a maybe. Ford is replacing William Hurt in the MCU.

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well I had to select TC. He was very good to me between 1991 to 2006.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2023
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I like most all Cruise films.

finslaw likes this.
  12. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Picked TC cuz of Tropic Thunder, Magnolia, Rain Man, Eyes Wide Shut, and the Jack Reacher flicks.

I almost picked TH cuz of A Hologram for the King, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, and A League of Their Own.

finslaw likes this.
  13. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I picked TOM CRUISE. To me, Cruise edges out Tom Hanks by a wee bit.

Michael and finslaw like this.
  14. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I would probably go with Hanks if the only thing he had done was make That Thing You Do!

905, Oatsdad and Post-Punk Monk like this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

There is no justification for a fan bumping into Hanks' wife, and almost causing her to fall. However that may be, it was an accident and there was no intent to harm either Tom or his wife. His reaction, as captured in this youtube video, is disgusting, so that shapes, in part, my view of Tom Hanks. Hey, I understand, when you are a celebrity, it is no fun to go out in public. Sorry, but that is part of the trade off for the immense amount of attention and even privilege, as well as making obscene amounts of money.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I like them both, but Tom Cruise better...

17. Michael

INDEED!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    finslaw likes this.
  18. Michael

I immediately thought of you when I read the thread...I knew who you you were going to vote for! ; )

finslaw and Doug Sclar like this.
  19. Crack To The Egg

No way. That crowd was out of hand. Pushing, sticking phones in their faces and shoving them. Rewatch and specifically focus on Rita. I wouldn’t put up with that. No one should. I would have used different words. Embarrassing that humans act like that.

aroney, altaeria, dmiller458 and 6 others like this.
  20. Tom Hanks is, hands down, the better actor. Cruise is a solid action star.

21. As I watched this I was thinking what it would be like to be in those shoes.
    The crowd is basically blind to much beyond their personal desires.....always wrong and always troubling to deal with.
    The crowd gets directly in their way a few times, and not by accident, they literally get in the way to get what they want while not giving much thought to the Hanks party walking to the car......Not pleasant or courteous on the crowds part.
    There is literal contact and stumbling as the crowd buffers Rita.....NEVER good to buffer the wife with shoulders...Never, Celebrity or not....do not shove my wife in any capacity unless it is literally to keep her safe from eminent harm.

Yes, Tom could have chosen better words, but in the heat of the moment (as well as we have no clue what had transpired earlier in the evening) he was simply reacting harshly to harsh treatment from the crowd at hand......
    I am on the side of Tom Hanks with this particular bit of video.

22. I support Tom’s reaction. They were like vultures.

23. Michael

true, it's the delivery that matters and makes us pick a favorite...I don't think Tom Hanks is a better actor just different...he would not break a finger nail for his craft while Tom breaks bones for his craft...Hanks is pampered...and I really don't like him when he's not in a movie...

finslaw and wayneklein like this.
  24. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love most movies Hanks is in. The only Cruise film I like is A Few Good Men and to a lesser extent Rain Man.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Armjim and Michael like this.
  25. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I'm not much of a Tom Hanks fan at all. I've only seen 10 of his films. Eh. "That Thing You Do" was top flight, though! But I still voted for Hanks since I actively despise Cruise. Always have. Saw one of his films against my will. I wanted to see "Trouble In Mind" and my friend [with the car] wanted to see "Legend." My vote didn't count. Brrrrrr! What a hateful thing.

Fox67 likes this.