All the UK #1 Singles of 1976 (and some of 1977) Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...IIRC, the Rollers did do Forever and Ever as an album cut...I became a bit of a fan of the British teen glitter/ glam thing, the more " bopper "-ish end, in the late Seventies, a couple years after it had passed on...as perhaps I am displaying here:edthumbs::angel:;)!

obby Morrow, post: 19091384, member: 40802"]Forever & Ever sounds like a Bay City Rollers song. Which it probably was meant to be until the group dropped their writers.:D[/QUOTE]

Jarleboy, Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

[/QUOTE]
    I don’t think the Rollers did Forever & Ever..

Though they should have.:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

From Wiki:

The song Forever And Ever, originally recorded by Kenny and appearing on their 1975 debut LP, The Sound Of Super K, was recognized having hit potential if a more heavy arrangement would be added. The band to provide such was to be Slik, after the Bay City Rollers refused the song, wanting a more heavy and progressive image and instead choosing Money Honey as their potential UK's Christmas 1975 Number One single[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Money Honey was the first self-penned Rollers single.

It’s not bad, but was the start of a downturn in their fortunes.

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  4. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

Besides the 4 ABBA songs, my favourite one is 'December 1963', what a fantastic tune!
    I discovered the song through the remix that was released in 1993 (I wasn't alive in 1976).

Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  5. cut to the chase

What a shame that 'You To Me Are Everything' only peaked at #64 in the US, it deserved to smash on both sides of the Atlantic!

According to Wikipedia, "one of the reasons for its lack of success in the U.S. was the flood of cover versions of the song released at the same time. American groups Broadway and Revelation both released versions of the song the same week, and at one point all three versions of the song appeared on Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts. With radio and the public unable to agree on a single popular version, the three singles effectively prevented each other from becoming a hit."

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Couldn't pick one, not even "Bohemian Rhapsody" never liked it at the time and still don't to this day. There sure is some dross on that list, no wonder punk rock started.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

You To Me Are Everything was a great record. The Real Thing loved it so much they virtually re-recorded it for the follow-up, Can’t Get By Without You.

:D

Jarleboy and cut to the chase like this.
  8. cut to the chase

'You To Me Are Everything' entered the UK chart a second time, in 1986, as a remix, peaking at #5.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. cut to the chase

'I Love to Love' is another song I like, though it hasn't aged very well. Her follow-up in the UK top 10, 'Dance Little Lady Dance', is also nice.

Before Charles started her solo career, she had provided the lead vocals for 5000 Volts' disco hit 'I'm On Fire' in 1975. The song peaked at #4 in the UK and at #26 in the US.

McLover, carlwm, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  10. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I chose the Queen song

11. Bobby Morrow

I liked 5000 Volts’ Dr Kiss Kiss best. Though Tina didn’t sing on that one, of course.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I kind of only really decided I like " Night...'63 " when that remix came out, likewise...I recall, 1988 or so, a 'Dirty Dancing "-inspired one-LP Seasons G. Hits album that included a a touch different version of the 1993 version.

the chase, post: 19094482, member: 87832"]Besides the 4 ABBA songs, my favourite one is 'December 1963', what a fantastic tune!
    I discovered the song through the remix that was released in 1993 (I wasn't alive in 1976).

[/QUOTE]

cut to the chase and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

That´s one of my favourites of his songs! It´s an odd lyric, but I love it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Jarleboy

The Real Thing seem to have been forgotten, but along with Heatwave, they brought funk and soul to the charts. Real solid quality pop songs.

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

No wonder punk arrived that year. Pretty square list. I was born when Elton John and Kiki Dee were at number one so that’s my pick - probably would be regardless.

Almost Simon likes this.
  16. Jarleboy

I love the voices of the three sisters in Pussycat. They belong to a genre I generally dislike, but I have always liked Pussycat. Two of their albums are on a semi-heavy rotation in my flat. I even bought a DVD of theirs a few years back, and I thoroughly enjoyed the little documentary that was on it. They seemed unaffected by their huge European success. (They did, in fact, have many hits in addition to "MISSISSIPPI". Just not in the "right" charts.

carlwm, Almost Simon and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Do you have any recommendations? A best of or such like?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Almost Simon

Twas a square year, well in the main, but remember these are the numbers 1's, some other wonders in the lower reaches of the charts that year, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Can, plenty in fact but numbers 1s were all pretty safe.

Graham likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

I love this single. This is the one that grabbed me when i saw the TOTP appearance, quite "naff" in fact but for some reason i absolutely love it and when i saw the vinyl album cheap i had to have it. :cool:

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I remember watching a TOTP2 with Can performing I Want More in ‘76 with some random bloke strumming along because one of the band didn’t make it! Sure it’s on YouTube.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

According to the comments on YouTube, the lead singer, Lynda Kelly, was pregnant in this clip. Sadly, she died in 1998.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Just a lovely song. The best track on his Foot Loose & Fancy Free album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Jarleboy

There are many good compilations - I think this is the one to go for: Pussycat (2) - The Golden Years Of Dutch Pop Music (A&B Sides)

The two albums I play a lot are "SOUVENIRS" and "WET DAY IN SEPTEMBER". Bought the latter on an impulse - I knew "MISSISSIPPI", and yook a chance on the album I found for less than a pound in the bargain bin. Sure, it´s simple and corny music, but I like it.

Almost Simon and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

They had another hit, Smile, here. Though I don’t remember it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

If you Leave Me Now-Chicago by a long chalk
    Where's Wondrous Stories? That would have come closr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.