All things Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jun 30, 2020.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Discogs doesn't report the fact that Secret World Live was reprinted due to manufacturing issues but I have no problems with Plays Live. I would do the same if I were you. And fingers crossed for the next copy!

2. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Return label received. I asked returns if they could do a test play as I read they do that, but they said it's only for albums they press. Yeah, fingers crossed. The distortion was so bad, it made me think my stylus was trashed. Sounded like music on youtube at 240p.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  3. frozen-beach

My replacement finally came. Played it and there's still an issue on those songs. It's not as bad, but it's still unacceptable. There's distortion in the left channel throughout both songs. I picked up a German pressing at a record shop last week for $13. It sounds great during those songs. Guess I'm just gonna have to get a refund.

4. WhatDoIKnow

Sorry to hear that, it's a bummer and that's a fact.

5. frozen-beach

I'm glad I picked up the German pressing. Originally wasn't gonna get it as I had the replacement in the mail, but for $13, I couldn't say no.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  6. furthermore

furthermore Forum Resident

This has been reported elsewhere on the site, but good Gabriel news is worth repeating... On 10 October, the Italian news magazine Specchio reported that Peter said his band recently spent ten days in the studio working on 17 songs. They included Peter's quote, "It is happening - it's closer than you think."

Vic333 likes this.
  7. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I think that quote has been around for 10 years…

sound chaser and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  8. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Exactly. He means "in less than ten years".

Bluepicasso likes this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It would never happen but I’d love to see him & Steve Hackett do a tour together. Have Steve do a set & Peter do a set & then have a combined set where they perform together whatever they want to play. Steve’s band is very familiar with the Genesis stuff & is like to hear Peter’a current interpretation of the old stuff. Might work & it might not but I’d pay to see it.

Ere and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  10. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I’d love to see it happen. With his ex-band mates currently making their way through their final tour, it would be nice to see Gabriel do the same.

Scotian likes this.
  11. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I wonder if Pete feels quite detached from what is regarded as 'prog' to team up with Steve... I would like to be wrong about that of course. I know he accepted that Prog award a few years back but it feels like he's been out of that genre for over 40 years now.

12. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

He is.

13. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Its Interesting that Bowie Sings "The lamb lies Down on Broadway" at the end of "Aladdin Sane" in the Moscow show 18 June 1996.

David Bowie Kremlin Palace Moscow june 18 1996 PRO SHOT

David was always mashing up lyrics and phrases of other songs at the end of Aladdin Sane. Snipits of On Broadway ( 'On Broadway' by Leiber and Stoller)have been part of the song since the original recording , and also bits of the Kinks All Day and All of the Night ,but that night in Moscow
    near the end of the song David sings: "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"..the last words

Of course David knew the name of the Genesis Album...it was a joke he wanted to play..
    David is always amazing..even in the small details.

LC

sound chaser and furthermore like this.
  14. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Rare-Video PG 1977 Europe Tour

Edwin Shirley Trucking Peter Gabriel 1977 Tour video

New PG videos includes interview with PG ,Jerry and Richard..and some stage moments,Europe Tour 1977.

15. WhatDoIKnow

This was a fun watch, thank you @LC4O :cheers:
    Funny to see an extremely young and almost unrecognisable (if it wasn't for the bold head) Tony Levin. Would the guitarist be David Rhodes, does anyone know? They are all so young!

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That was probably 10 October, 2012. Yeah, definitely closer than I think.

17. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

The guitarist for the European 77 tour was Sid McGinnis , David Rhodes lst time on the road with PG was in the 1982 Tour.

18. westcoastkid

westcoastkid Forum Resident

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. Willow Farmer

Willow Farmer Stamped “ human bacon “ by some butchery tool

Which is why everyone needs to go to the current Musical Box ‘ The Lamb lies Down on Broadway ‘ tour this year !
    Next best thing to the ‘Rael ‘ article !

brankin172 likes this.
  20. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Can anyone decipher the lyrics to OVO’s Low Light? The booklet states it’s an instrumental but it isn’t. Thanks.

21. WhatDoIKnow

22. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Rhodes was invited up to play with the 1980 line up during the U.K. rehearsals (and did) but Jon Ellis wasn’t too impressed at sharing guitar duties so Gabriel left it at that one off.

LC4O likes this.
  23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. If so, please point me to the apropriate place.

Scratch has always been my least favorite of PG's albums music-wise. But, this post is about the production or sound quality.

I long ago upgraded my CDs to the original SACDs, except for Car and Scratch. The Scratch SACD certainly sounds better than the original CD (as they all do), but it still sounds very harsh and congested. Also, PG's vocals sound like he's screeching through a paper towel roll.

Is this intentional, or do you think it was due to Fripp's relative inexperience as a producer?

24. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

They recorded everything quickly with no intention of refining anything and that was more Fripp’s idea than Gabriel’s but if Gabriel didn’t like the results he would certainly have asked Charisma for more time. So he must have been happy with it. In fact I think at the time he said he was more satisfied with the second album than the first.

dougotte likes this.
  25. VisionThing

VisionThing Forum Resident

I've only seen PG once, on the Warm Up tour in 2007 and it was the best show I've ever seen, but I am a PG nut so it's a given.

That was a great tour though, lots of old stuff in the set that hadn't been done in ages: DIY, On the Air, Mother of Violence, Lay Your Hands, Lovetown...plus the usual Steam, Sledgehammer, In Your Eyes etc. I still have the (unworn) tour shirt somewhere and the Encore Series recording of the show where I'm audible screaming my head off early into the show.

walrus, furthermore and c-eling like this.