All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 24db

24db Forum Resident

TANGERINE DREAM 2023 TOUR:

EUROPEAN TOUR – remaining dates

June 10th Tauron Nowa Muzyka, Katowice/PL

June 15th Casa de Cultura a Studentilor, Cluj Napoca/RO

NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

September 8 - Miami Beach Bandshell, Miami

September 11 - Orange Peel, Asheville

September 12 - Centre Stage, Atlanta

September 13 - Ferris Wheelers, Dallas

September 14 - Empire Garage, Austin

September 16 - El Ray, Albuquerque

September 17- Rialto Theatre, Tucson

September 18 - Magnolia, El Cajon

September 19 - The Vermont, Los Angeles

September 20 - Regency Ballroom, San Francisco

September 22 - Revolution Hall, Portland

September 24 - Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver

September 25 - The Neptune, Seattle

September 27 - Keswick Theatre, Glenside, Pennsylvania

September 29 - Lincoln Theatre, Washington

September 30 - Knockdown Centre, New York

October 1 - Olympia - Pop Montreal, Montreal

October 3 - Opera House, Toronto

October 5 - Metro, Chicago

GERMAN TOUR

October 10th Gewandhaus, Großer Saal, Leipzig/DE

October 12th Rheingoldhalle, Mainz/DE

October 14th Lokschuppen, Bielefeld/DE

October 16th Theater am Aegi, Hannover/DE

October 17th Metropol Theater, Bremen/DE

October 18th Admiralspalast, Berlin/DE

October 20th Tollhaus, Karlsruhe/DE

October 21st Neue Gebläsehalle, Neunkirchen/Saar/DE

October 22nd Osnabrückhalle, Europa Saal, Osnabrück/DE

October 24th Lichtburg, Essen/DE

October 25th Theaterhaus am Pragsattel, Stuttgart/DE

October 26th Hamburg, Laeiszhalle, Großer Saal, Hamburg/DE

October 28th Isarphilharmonie, München/DE

UK TOUR

November 5th De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill/England

November 6th Guildhall, Portsmouth/England

November 8th Palladium, London/England

November 9th Brudenell Social Club, Leeds/England

November 10th Albert Hall, Manchester/England

November 11th HH Prog Festival, Great Yarmouth/England

November 12th Boiler Shop, Newcastle/England

November 13th St Luke’s & The Winged Ox, Glasgow/Scotland

November 14th The Queen's Hall, Edinburgh/Scotland

2. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Not much change in the Tucson show. Looks like same seats are still available. The upper balcony is blocked/not for purchase. This one looks like there will be a band opening for TD, TBA. I guess I could follow the tour bus from Tucson to El Cajon the next day.
    The Vermont in Hollywood shows it still has tix for sale. Time is from 8-1130. So this one looks like it'll have a opening band also. I dont see the Dream playing 3 1/2 hours with a 30 minute intermission.

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Only Eno can pull out a solo live concert tour involving a philharmonic orchestra…:confused:

4. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

BBF / Multi Faith Prayer Room 2022 / 1st impressions (2 spins)

expanding their sound, and contemplating some big issues” (MusicOmh.com)

Thought I would share my 1st impressions on the new BBF...

Just as a matter of interest, very much like Yamane’s album Reflections and SAW’s Hydragate, another 2022 album...
    and another pleasant surprise if a lot more challenging than the aforementioned albums – I’d say there are few comforts even for BBF aficionados- an album that is pushing the boundaries of all the trends it is embracing.

LouderThanBomb mag. review claims: “German, classically trained, Tangerine Dream connections? Put them aside, dear readers.

...well, not so sure … the exploratory detail and the succession of micro-gestures are not dissimilar to Frick-era Tangerine Dream- would love it if the next TD studio album explored some of Mad Rush territories …

Ref to classical music are still all over the place (ie/ Ready To Connect, Rituals, Future to name the more obvious … hints of Ligeti-meets-Le Mystere des Voix Bulgare (Future) without mentioning the complexity of most of the tracks …a lot less Reich influenced than previous outings. Dance music? Often unapologetically so, but with asymmetric techno throb and complex architectures.
    Cheeky, ambitious, fun and unpretentiously deep.

Jotted down personal impressions and some highlights ... a little early yet but …

Ready To Connect **** Brief but fascinating neo-classical intro with strings.
    Mad Rush **** Frickian through and through, could be straight out of Second Yard Botanical.
    Act One **** A post Covid dream of a track- hilarious too. A cross between Talking Heads (Brian Eno period) and Massive Attack- not far off Yello’s broad vistas and epic sweeps either and just as tongue-in-cheek!
    Soba Reminds me a little at times of Schnitzler’s hard-edged early 80’s Kraut-pop (!) /ie Con 3 but more funky
    Future Brief highly psychedelic interlude with hints of Ligeti meets Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares ... well sort of ...
    Dotted Line ***/* where BBF prove they can still do exactly what is expected of them and still be brilliant at it.
    No One Like You ***/*
    This Feeling The track with Sophie Hunger / complex avant-pop.
    Rituals Another brief neo-classical interlude with strings.
    Closer To You ****
    Perpetuate ****
    Faith ***/*

Daring and intriguing. Can already say that I like it better than their previous release- 2019's Echo. Will def. be somewhere at the top of my summer playlist. No doubt.
    Personal favourite album so far has been Mr Machine (2011)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  5. david gunderman

Just discover Richard Wahnfied’s Miditation on the Stars End radio show from last weekend. I know of some his (KS) aka Wanhfried albums. Midi is a first for me. Now I thought Klaus released an album called Midi(something)? What’s the story behind his moniker Wahnfried? Record contract issues?

6. david gunderman

I would think Vangelis could too. R.I.P.

Norco74 likes this.
  7. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I checked Ticket Master (Ticket Bastard) and saw the same thing for Tucson. The closest was just a couple rows behind the premium section. If it's seated, that's not bad for me. Still trying to determine how things will be for me in September.

Regards,
    Dave

8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schnitzler / Montgomery Cas-Con 1986 East-Berlin Concert / BureauB

[​IMG]

Restored original recording released for the first time on LP and CD + photos and contemporary docs + Jörg Thomasius' and Ken Gen Montgomery's written memories of "this very special evening" (dixit BureauB).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@david gunderman

RE: Richard Wahnfried / Miditation 1978 /1981 released in 1986

... not one of my favourite RW in spite of the brilliant flip side aka Midiaction (2nd track). The 1st version of that track dates back from 78- Ballet pour le Docteur Faustus and was re-worked over and over ... The Unspoken Thing, Ludwigs Traum ... only the Miditation version was officially released (IMHO a great hypnotic version- a sort of very inspired Indian Raga*). As for the 1st track it was I believe swiftly recorded for contractual reasons and Jolliffe happened to be around ... please do check on Schulze's site for a more accurate account of the story. Mid- 80's- Schulze was sort of pressurised to appeal to the New-Age market- hence the Dreams album title and artwork (initially called Klaustrophony- retrospectively Dreams does not sound so bad... :)!!).

NB: Some of the Richard Wahnfried / Wahnfried albums were re-branded as KS albums (the initial moniker still appears but in much smaller characters).
    Otherwise the other KS album starting with Midi is 1989's Miditerreanean Pads

* The other stunning Berlin School "Indian Raga" is Tangerine Dream's Ozora Session [Hungary- August 6th 2018- QYS line-up]. I believe Schnauss performed solo too on that night ...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    david gunderman likes this.
  10. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... Schulze did too in the late 70's post his X album release.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    david gunderman likes this.
  11. david gunderman

Thank you @Jaar21

12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes he would have.

13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schnitzler / Montgomery Cas-Con 1986 East-Berlin Concert / BureauB

▶︎ CAS-CON II 6 | Conrad Schnitzler (bandcamp.com)

[​IMG]

... more "Oblique Strategies" from one of the great Dreamers- personally my 1st (physical) Schnitzler/Montgomery album- managed to miss all of them at the time...! If I remember it by the time they got reviewed, they were no longer available :)!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Ken Montgomery / update 2022 / RadioPanik

"Gen Ken Montgomery just moved to Virginia after been based for 44 years in New York. An artist whose involvement in Cassette Culture and Mail Art led to the creation of the Generations Unlimited electronic music label with David Prescott and Conrad Schnitzler in 1987. In 1989 Montgomery opened Generator, the first sound art gallery in New York City. Generator’s wide scope and novel approach toward music made it a vector point for many artists from around the world. Generator was re-created at AVA gallery in 2013 audiovisualarts.org/5973/generator and in 2014 Montgomery re-launched Generations Unlimited with Sean Julian and Chris Penalosa at the Print Shop in MoMA PS1. Since 1985 Gen Ken has performed Conrad Schnitzler’s octophonic Cassette Concerts in total darkness in many venues, including a weekly series at Generator. Montgomery collaborated with Schnitzler to compose multi-channel sound works with sculptural and spatial dimensions under the name GENCON Productions, and continues to create immersive listening experiences."

Gen Ken Montgomery - The Sequel - Moacrealsloa | Radio Panik

15. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

16. david gunderman

Okay. I guess up.

17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schmoelling / SAW / Hydragate / Eclipsed

excellent review of Hydragate in latest Eclipsed mag issue (June 23)- Schmoelling and his sidekicks on top form! IMHO the best Schmoelling album in years- should say Schmoelling- related!

[​IMG]

klockwerk likes this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

19. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

The actor Treat Williams has passed away. I'll have to listen to the Flashpoint soundtrack in his honor.

I have to admit that I barely remember the movie. Maybe I should seek it out again.

Regards,
    Dave

Mooglander likes this.
  20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I always liked it. Definite B movie status. Some great one-liners in it.

Mooglander likes this.
  21. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: Schmoelling / MIG records / reissues (?)

Looks as if MIG records have already started a reissue programme (?) with the rerelease of 2011’s Time & Tide (Schallwende Award in March 2012). Time maybe to reassess some of Schmoelling’s post 90’s lesser-known albums.

For whatever it’s worth, the 3 which keep coming up in my playlist/s:

Diary of a Common Thread 17
    Hydragate 22
    Time & Tide 11

https://youtu.be/wYz1jAQl5pY

https://youtu.be/seTsnxnV5QA

Roberto899 likes this.
  22. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

You can watch it on Max (formerly HBO Max). Sign up for a free trial and binge a few movies.

23. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

24. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

25. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

RE: The Night in Romania! / Tangerine Dream / Jay-Jay Johanson / Transylvania International Film Festival / June 15th

Looks as if tomorrow was the last European date before the North American tour … (Miami Sept 8th)- and if I am right, Frick is left with one more date with BBF- Paris July 4th- a well-deserved 2 months break ahead!

... and from what sounds to me like a very Froesian soundtrack ...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    ArpMoog likes this.