All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I remember a Dreyer's Tangerine Dream ice cream flavor back in the 90s when I worked in a grocery. Talk about a double take!

I don't partake myself, but I know of a Tangerine Dream 'Mary-Jane' strain.

Regards,
    Dave

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Did you check out the 4-CD set of Froese's Virgin Years? All the albums in there were remastered in 2012.
    Edgar Froese - Solo (1974-1983) The Virgin Years

[​IMG]

3. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. Deibu

Coincidentally listening to this at work. I already have most of Edgar's albums but the cheap price for what I didn't have was fine.

Regards,
    Dave

klockwerk, andrewskyDE and Slim Zooms like this.
  5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

We need the early version of Macula Transfer reissued too. Really decent album.

caravan70, klockwerk and Deibu like this.
  6. Deibu

I agree. I was very lucky to get a copy of the limited Manikin release in the 90s.

Even though it's not a Virgin album, I think it could've been included in 1974-1983. The original 1974-1979 compilation, Beyond the Storm and the misprint of 1974-1983 all had music from MT. All are Virgin releases...

Regards,
    Dave

klockwerk likes this.
  7. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Yes I love this track. Always imagine this should be the finale of some epic movie. It wasn’t the actual last song performed at the concert but it makes sense as a closer here.

Paul_s likes this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Maybe of interest ... an album of Tangerine Dream covers:

[​IMG]

State Azure - Dreams: A Tribute To Tangerine Dream -- fairly faithful but with a modern touch. Some may wonder why bother but the 23 minute version of Remote Viewing (from Exit) is quite interesting.

--Geoff

MikeManaic61 and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

Speaking of covers ... There is also the unlikely entity of an Tangerine Dream album called Under Cover, quite an unexpected album of ... covers. REM, Bowie, Kraftwerk, Beatles, Eagles, Cohen, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode ... Some covers worked better than others, very much a mixed bag, but Cohen's Suzanne is amazing IMO.

Under Cover, by Tangerine Dream

Under Cover – Chapter One - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  10. hEARt PhoniX

11. hEARt PhoniX

12. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

"Thru Metamorphic Rocks" is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard, period. I don't say things like that a lot. I get a thrill from this one, like "A Day in the Life" type of thrill.

What's so great about Tangerine Dream in their absolute heyday is that they could play a melodic virtuoso guitar piece and make it sound like they were playing the national anthem in a stadium for four convincing minutes, and then suddenly evolve into a crackling electro landscape that still, 40 years later, sounds state of the art. If the guys knew how to do anything, it was stay a transition from one genius piece to another that shouldn't fit together at all.

13. TheOrangeSauce

TheOrangeSauce Forum Resident

tangerinedream.bandcamp.com is the band's official Bandcamp page.

tangerinedreamofficial.bandcamp is run by Purple Pyramid Records. TD licensed some albums to them in the early 2010s (for US distribution, I assume), which is why the most recent releases on it are Island of the Fay and Ultima Thule.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

On my Ebay page there is a new listing for pre-order Mondo Records - Thief Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on 180 gram vinyl.

Can't say if I've ever heard of Mondo records.

I noticed Confrontation was on it.

In case anyone is interested. No affiliation with Mondo records. Looks like it's cheaper on the Mondo website than on ebay.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

I would really like more info on the slides Tangerine Dream were using during their concerts in the 70s and 80s. I have information about the ones Kraftwerk used but not TD. I wonder if there is a resource regarding this.

16. hEARt PhoniX

Are those infos on the KW slides online?

17. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Very prominent collectors label of soundtrack reissues, usually on colored vinyl, limited stuff. Their imprint Death Waltz did all the Twin Peaks stuff a few years ago. Straight licenses, so this is most certainly just licensed from Elektra which is why it has "Confrontation." The ones I've heard have been gorgeously produced and packaged but sometimes have fill and other flaws in the sound.

klockwerk, tommy-thewho and uzn007 like this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

thanks RTW...

19. Deibu

I have a question about Edgar's solo song Tropic of Capricorn.

I noticed on the version in the Solo 1974-1983 CD set that in the first section there are some 'spluttering' accents in the melody, which I hadn't heard before. I have the Virgin 90s CD release of Ages and Beyond the Storm, and the melody doesn't have that effect there. It seems like there might be hints of it but it's smoothed over. Is the remaster on the Solo set just that much better defined? Are the 'spluttering' accents present in the original vinyl release?

Regards,
    Dave

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Disagree. When the kids started passing their clocks and triggers around the sequencing got dangerous.

21. Enjoying the two recent box sets immensely. Actually delving into newly arrived Purple box as I type. Incredible collections!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, caravan70, sjaca and 5 others like this.
  22. hEARt PhoniX

Could not sleep tonight.
    Cued up Zeit from the Pink Years box.
    Am still mesmerized, almost through the album yet another time now, wow. It did take me a long while to get into TD, but ... it feels like I had to learn to cope with that much freedom first. Honestly, what an album. Not easy, by no means, not one album that fits all moods, far from that, but if it fits, it an amazing journey.

I was hoping to learn a bit more about it's ceation from the autobiography, but except for one or two passing mentions there seems to be not much. Well, possibly there isn't much to tell anyway.
    I am about to hit the button to get get that 2011 double CD for the Klangwaldt live tracks.

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I like those a lot. I also bought the double-CD of Atem for the live disc.

klockwerk and Slim Zooms like this.
  24. Deibu

I have a kinda funny story about Zeit. I had just started to get into TD, being more familiar with the late 80s music, but also had Rubycon and Exit. I was still buying tapes back then so there was little if any info to read. The insert had the year 1985 and had cool cover art so what else would I think? The shock kept me from listening to it for a while. Eventually I learned to appreciate it, and it's one of my faves.:laugh:

Regards,
    Dave

LivingForever and Slim Zooms like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I started out listening to Tangram and White Eagle and it took me 30 years to warm up to Atem. Finally did, tho.