All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Dreamer of Tangerines

People don't realise writing a book is the easy bit. Marketing and promotion... that's difficult!
    On which point... do buy my TD book when it comes out next month :D

Jaar21, hEARt PhoniX and Maurice like this.
  2. murch

murch Forum Resident

Can I ask, among Tangerine Dream fans, how well regarded is their soundtrack for Legend?

I recently picked it up on vinyl and I like it, just wondering if it is considered one of their better works or lesser works or where it sort of lands among those who really follow this group.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Jaar21 and 24db like this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory Thread Starter

If that is yet another indication of things to come ... after Sessions VI VII ... I am still in. TD are truly back, alive and thriving.

Jaar21 and 24db like this.
  4. hEARt PhoniX

Exactly that is already on the toDoList202111.

Jaar21, Stephen Palmer and 24db like this.
  5. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

I think Legend is regarded fairly well. Personally it's my favorite soundtrack of theirs. It's lighter fare compared to some of TD's work, but still really good! You made a good purchase.

Regards,
    Dave

murch likes this.
  6. 24db

24db Forum Resident

A poll I ran a few years back:

1. Thief (186)

2. Sorcerer (171)

3. Firestarter (119)

4. Legend (79)

5. The Keep (68)

6. Wavelength (61)

7. Miracle Mile (57)

8. Canyon Dreams (56)

9. Risky Business (54)/ Flashpoint (54)

10. Near Dark (46)

11. The Park is Mine (39)

12. GTAV (Grand Theft Auto) (33)

13. Shy People (28)

14. Heartbreakers (27)

15. Oasis (25)

16. Destination Berlin (17)

17. What a Blast (16)

18. Three O'Clock High (13)

19. Great Wall of China (12)

20. L'Affaire Wallraff (9)/ Dead Solid Perfect (9)

21. Zoning (8)

22. Deadly Care (7)

23. Catch Me If You Can (4)/ L'inferno (4)

murch likes this.
  7. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

The promo blurb from Kscope on next year's new TD album:

"The trio have spent 2021 in their Berlin studio working on Probe 6-8, a first glimpse into the forthcoming full Tangerine Dream studio album due for release in early 2022.

Probe 6-8 sees the group’s classic studio productions and late night real time compositions form a blueprint for slowly evolving ambient structures, with the band’s sequencer driven sound reminiscent of TD’s early 1970s work combining with a lush 1980s crystalline bliss. The trio have composed and produced Probe 6-8 with full access to Edgar Froese’s Cubase arrangements and Otari Tape Archive with recordings from 1977-2013.

The first track titled ‘Raum’, is a nod to the band’s early live studio performances ‘Zeit’ and ‘Phaedra’, with a distinctive heavy Moog bass marking the beginning and the end of this 15-minute introductory piece. This new set of recordings also feature two remixes - Berlin-based composer and producer Grand River (Aimée Portioli) has given ‘Raum’ her signature sound and ‘Continuum’ was remixed by Berghain resident and Leisure System co-founder Sam Barker. "

GordonM and Slim Zooms like this.
  8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Thanks @24db.

Probe 6.8/ Raum

Quantum Gate was an incredibly confident album and very successful in juggling present and past. It had a sound of its own (those hazy Schnauss’ harmonic sprays!) and it managed to be a great TD album without ever sounding like anything they had done previously in spite of Froese’s ghostly presence. This is what I personally expect from a new TD album (Zeit was different from Atem which was different from Phaedra and so on. We move on to the Schmoelling years and ditto- Tangram had nothing to do with Exit and Logos and so on…). Froese was always referring to craziness when it came to creativity and seemed to value it among his partners too (I think we can read something on those lines in an interview in Neumusik- @24db?!) and this is IMHO why TD had such a creative longevity not to listen to fans’ expectations but your creative muse!!

I shall be extremely cautious about this very 1st track from Probe 6.8; this quartet of musicians is top notch- they are at their creative best and we could not hope for a much better line-up, this I am convinced of. The track now will sound pbbly differently “in situ” but we can always express a 1st impression and I insist this is just a 1st impression (I have listened to it twice now but…) so take it easy out there…!! At the moment and on the down side, I feel that it is maybe a little too self-conscious in making sure that it is ticking all the right boxes… that said, it does it extremely well, but there is almost a sense of nervousness about this. I might feel very differently once I hear the other tracks … Now on the positive side, which easily outweighs this slight reservation- I really do like the very soulful and evocative beginning, this really does work beautifully (great sounds too). Then, but this is not new with the “Quantum Dream”, I do like the attempt at “breaking up “the sequences and at doing sthg really creative about them, this is extremely successful and they seem to push this trend always further which I find really exciting. There was a time in the history of the band and I am sure we all remember this, when the music was so flat that you were just waiting for the sequence to start, which was very bad news... The music around the sequences should be as exciting and this is pretty much the case with Raum. Please, Q Dreamers don’t try to please your fanbase, would be my message. Anyway, they are so God Damn talented that they can’t really disappoint, the music will always be quality music whether we like or not what they come up with. Now whether 2021 is the right time for a Quantum leap, remains to be seen. This is for sure a tasty starter!

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... in my Top 5- Sorcerer, Legend, Firestarter, Near Dark, Miracle Mile.

NB: Just as a matter of interest, Froese produced an excellent soundtrack in 82- Kamikaze 1989

[​IMG]

The film was unfortunately not by Fassbinder!!

Slim Zooms and murch like this.
  10. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

@Jaar21 Your top 5 is almost exactly the same as mine. Just replace Sorcerer with Thief. :D

I'm disappointed that Kamikaze 1989 wasn't included in Edgar's box set. :confused:

Regards,
    Dave

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... my issue with Thief is that although the music does still work well within the context of the film (I watched it again pretty recently and it goes well with Caan's grey leather jacket!!), IMHO, I feel that as an album it has not aged all that well- younger generations seem to like it for its slightly kitsch 80's sound. Now, to me the best passage is the iconic "safe cracking" track from Force Majeure. You remove the Force Majeure track and you are left with very little... it is obviously not a bad soundtrack and it would easily make it to my Top 10, but I feel it is outrageously overrated. Its success (at number 1 in 24db's list!) escapes me totally. Franke's great job in Force Majeure should be praised...as well as technology glitches, apparently!! One of their most successfully avant-garde piece of music!

Stephen Palmer, Deibu and hi_watt like this.
  12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I think Risky Business is an excellent soundtrack, but there's what, ~15min of TD material and most of it is from other albums. So it's hard to rate it very high.

13. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Reading EF's account of the making of the Risky Business soundtrack it makes a bit more sense, but I find it one of their weakest outings in that two tracks borrow from Force Majeure, another is basically a remix of "Exit", and the other two are quite derivative of Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians. Sure, part of "Logos" evokes that piece too, but "Love On A Real Train" in particular is quite shameless.

Long story short, the film's producers hated everything they initially prepared for the soundtrack. They had to start over, and scrambled up to the last minute to make the deadline.

Stephen Palmer, Deibu and hi_watt like this.
  14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Tonight my second dive into Neuland. Getting better on each spin I guess. It’s a quite a long album clicking at 83 minutes. There’s some very creepy moments on this album.

Jaar21 and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  15. hEARt PhoniX

Yes, I have listened to it finally in full recently and it is ... a great album.

Jaar21 and Norco74 like this.
  16. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Dreamer of Tangerines

Very much agree. I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

It's ok but it's not really TD. Tired of the grift. Just call it something new and move on. Edgar is gone. R.I.P

Deibu, Stephen Palmer and Nanotear like this.
  18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Please @ArpMoog... not again!! Do we have to go through this again every time they release some new material ? Especially after 7 brilliant Sessions and a splendid studio album. Honestly "it's not really TD" (!)...was Rockoon really TD ? And would Baumann, Schmoelling and Haslinger ever have approved of their outputs after Rockoon? I somehow very much doubt it, so please ... just enjoy the return to form by 4 splendid electronic musicians. They are still to put a foot wrong and honestly between you and me I do not think they ever will. Edgar can R.I.P- they are more than fulfilling his Dream!! Respect!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    hifisoup, Norco74, 24db and 1 other person like this.
  19. 24db

24db Forum Resident

99% of people love the new track on Youtube :D

hifisoup, bzfgt and fRa like this.
  20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm not knocking the track I'm knocking them calling it Tangerine Dream. No Edgar no Dream Period. I don't care what Froese dreamt with a wish.
    Just saying it don't make it so. It's marketing.
    TD died with Edgar I'm very passionate or cynical take your pick nothing personal.
    When Brock dies would you call the band Hawkwind. I hope not.

21. Nanotear

Nanotear Drummer, Writer, FM radio DJ, cookie baker, etc

I like Legend. That LP is getting quite valuable, so you scored. But if it's your first TD record, I'd really recommend getting some of their albums from the '70s. That was their peak IMO, even though they kept making good albums and soundtracks at least into the early to mid '80s.

murch and Deibu like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Le Parc is fun to me, but it is the most derivative sounding album from the mid-80s that I have ever heard. I hear Eno / Byrne, Pink Floyd, etc. going track to track. Good sound and production, but my god did they grab the sound and melodies from elsewhere on every track.

23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

No Froese, No Dream. When the band calling themselves Tangerine Dream stop using another band's name to bolster their commercial appeal, I'll stop saying so.

no.nine, Deibu and Stephen Palmer like this.
  24. 24db

24db Forum Resident

For all Ulrich Schnauss fans - tickets for his 2022 UK shows just went on sale:

Friday 8th Oct 2021.
    Sat
    26/02/2022
    London, Queen Elizabeth Hall

Thu
    24/03/2022
    Bristol, Arnolfini

Fri
    25/03/2022
    Brighton, St. Luke's Church

Sat
    26/03/2022
    Birmingham, Lyttelton Theatre

Wed
    30/03/2022
    Manchester, Stoller Hall

Thu
    31/03/2022
    Leeds, Belgrave Music Hall

Fri
    01/04/2022
    Newcastle, Sage Two

Sat
    02/04/2022
    Glasgow, St. Luke's

Slim Zooms, Roberto899 and Jaar21 like this.
  25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Perhaps this topic can be discussed under its own thread. While continuing Edgar’s visions under the same band name is highly debatable to some, it won’t change what is now a ´fait accompli’. Let’s move forward…The current incarnation of TD has released some nice and challenging music lately.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    ciderglider, Jaar21, surfling and 3 others like this.