All things Tangerine Dream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hEARt PhoniX, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Brain folded ages ago; the "brand" still exists, but the company behind it is long gone, and AFAIK neither they nor their successors own the rights to this recording anymore.

I'm told EF himself is the reason why the original Macula Transfer is not available.

2. TheOrangeSauce

TheOrangeSauce Forum Resident

According to Wouter in the POPT thread, Universal currently owns the rights to Macula Transfer, so maybe sometime in the future we'll get the original version re-issued.

The_Windmill, Deibu and Norco74 like this.
  3. 24db

24db Forum Resident

EDGAR: "I wrote the president of EMI a letter saying “Hey man, you’ve got no problems money-wise, so let me out of my obligations.” All he said was “Look at your contract.”

4. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

He had to at least have 2-track master tapes with which to make the altered version from. Right? Maybe Bianca has them?

Regards,
    Dave

5. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

He probably just used the Manikin CD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the story went something like this: Brain folded and some of their assets went up for auction. Manikin grabbed Macula Transfer, which was never given to Virgin (I've read elsewhere that Brain wanted a release from EF which would be exclusive to them for two years; by the time that period was up and he could offer elsewhere, the album sounded dated and Virgin et al were not interested). Supposedly Froese complained that he should've been approached first, and Manikin obliged.

As is often the case with EF there are numerous contradictory stories out there, so if this is certified nonsense, I'm happy to be enlightened. It would make more sense to me that Universal simply owns everything Brain now, but then there'd no longer be any conflict about it being issued alongside his Virgin material.

Deibu likes this.
  6. Deibu

That makes sense, being the easiest thing to do. It sounds like he did that for the redo of Melrose. The skipping sounds on "Cool At Heart" sound like playing a CD with terrible scratches. It's a shame as it's a lovely tune. Makes me even more glad to have a copy of the original release.

Regards,
    Dave

7. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@hEARt PhoniX

… to be fair and this is very personal, I am not a great fan of covers, especially when it comes to instrumental music. Same thing with revamped versions, Schulze for instance always refused to give into this. I never recovered from the Tangents box set in the 90’s, even if I understood Froese’s reasons… Kraftwerk remixes (in the 90’s too), were a great deal more successful as they brought a supposedly live element into the (re)mix and I felt it worked beautifully for some tracks like TEE, the end of it with the strings effect was superb. As for the “Quantum Dream”, it makes more sense but I am desperately looking forward to seeing where so much talent is going to take them. I find myself spending quite a lot of time listening to new TD material as well as our Quantum Dreamers’ solo projects which are as a whole incredibly ambitious, trying tacitly to decipher where this combination of talents could lead them (and TD) to, provided that they can afford to listen mostly to their muse(s)… I think they have what it takes to face this awkward challenge.

8. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

Hi,

Manikin (Mario S) simply asked for a license from Brain/Metronome in 1996 and they got it, because Brain/Metronome still owned the license.
    But when Froese got notice of that - when his royalties were paid - he demanded immediately to withdrawn the Manikin version!
    Main objection from Froese was: Mario S never asked Edgar permission to do a reissue and he should have done so. And yes, it's indeed 'not done' to surpass the artist when reissuing material - even when a license is granted by another party. Besides, EF was disappointed, as Mario S was even involved in the TD fanclub for some time (late 80s), so he was after all in close contact with EF for some time. So Edgar kind of felt that Mario did obtain the license behind his back without informing him.

Also, sometime later, Edgar did not 1:1 reissue the Macula album himself, but altered and slightly renamed it, so it was notably different to the Brain/Metronome master. So he would fully own it himself - as a different product - but he still wouldn't own and/or be able to reissue the original album. And likewise he did with his other solo albums - and some by TD as well. Tangentizing!

Best wishes,
    Wouter

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  9. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Norco74, Beamish13 and Deibu like this.
  10. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Eraldo Bernocchi & Hoshiko Yamane
    Mujō

Future Suns - YouTube
    Muga - YouTube
    Floater - YouTube

Have been listening to this album non-stop for the last 3 days. 8 track album from 2020. Must have listened to Floater about 10 times!! Hokorobi uses a sample from Phaedra. Vinyl already available....CD in December (?)

[​IMG]

First cooperation album of the Italian composer, arranger, producer and guitarist Eraldo Bernocchi with the Berlin-based Japanese violinist, composer, electronic producer and Tangerine Dream member Hoshiko Yamane.

[London-based Eraldo Bernocchi has worked with artists like Nils Petter Molvaer, Harold Budd, Thomas Fehlmann, Bill Laswell, Colin Edwin, Markus Stockhausen son of..., Mick Harris or Robin Guthrie.]

As a matter of interest ... "Mujō is a Japanese word originating in Buddhism, mujō means impermanence, transience or mutability. It characterizes all phenomena of experience, but is especially significant for human endeavours to achieve happiness…" [Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Norco74 and Beamish13 like this.
  11. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I was in touch with the publisher and the expanded edition is going to be in German - so basically a first German edition, based on a translation of the English original (although by a German writer) which got expanded.

hEARt PhoniX and Jaar21 like this.
  12. Deibu

I just listened to this video. I like it quite a bit. The moodiness is sublime, and I like her use of a looper with her violin. I liked it much more than the Quaeschning x Frick video I listened to a while back.

Regards,
    Dave

Jaar21 likes this.
  13. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Excellent! You should give a go to Mujo ... I think you will like it ... (?) Have just ordered both the CD and the vinyl!

14. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

:cry::cry::cry:... thanks for contacting the publisher. Let's hope there will be some better news between now and April... you never know.

15. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I'm trying to convince him to give the revised German edition a proper translation by a native English speaking person and release that too. I find the English of the author often irritating as he clearly uses German grammar structures when writing, and quite a few too literal translations as well.
    Not to take away from the quality of the research and it's still a great pleasure to read the book!

Jaar21 likes this.
  16. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Eraldo Bernocchi & Hoshiko Yamane
    Mujō

Hokorobi - YouTube
    Track with a creative use of the Phaedra sample ... Yamane seems to be v. fond of the Ohr and early Virgin periods.

17. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@surfling
    RE: Times & Sounds

Did you tell him and was he aware of it?

18. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Yes I did and he was quite surprised, says he had no similar feedback before and that a native English speaker proofread the book.

Jaar21 likes this.
  19. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Automatic order for me even if I stopped listening to it after 2 minutes. Too good to be listened on an iPhone. I will wait for the CD or download and then spin it on the proper audio gear. :D

Jaar21 likes this.
  20. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

@Norco74
    Do you mean the Mujo CD?

Another gem from the album...
    Fall - YouTube
    I got my new copy from Discogs, too long to wait until December! It had already been released a few months ago.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  21. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Have been listening to so much great "solo" stuff lately, from past & present TD members, that I decided to reconsider my list of top 20. This is what it looks like at the moment (order is almost optional since they are almost all four star albums).

1 Baumann Romance 76

2 Baumann Haslinger Neuland

3 Frick Quaeschning The Seaside Stage Session

4 Frick Second Yard Botanicals

5 Froese Epsilon In Malaysian Pale

6 Schmoelling White Out

7 Baumann Trans Harmonic Nights

8 Haslinger Exit Ghost 1/2

9 Schmoelling Lieder ohne Worte

10 Froese Kamikaze 89

11 Yamane Primitive

12 Hoenig Departure from The Northern Wasteland

13 Froese Aqua

14 Quaeschning Schnauss Synthwaves

15 Yamane Bernocchi Mujō

16 Schnauss A Strangely Isolated Place

17 Froese Stuntman

18 Schnauss No Further Ahead Than Today

19 Haslinger aka Coma Virus Hidden

20 Schmoelling Wuivend Riet

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    fRa likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi Wouter

So does this mean that the original version of Macula Transfer could possibly still get a re-issue - just that it is unlikely?

Also, is there any data on how many copies of the re-worked ‘Tangentsised’ version were sold?

Cheers
    Slim

24. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering

Hi Slim,

- Theoretically: yes
    - No. But likely about 1000-1500

Best wishes,
    Wouter

25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks Wouter