Allman Brothers 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Bring it!

"
    A number of other projects are now being considered for release. Among those are a July 19, 2005 concert at the Warner Theatre in Erie, Pa., that like the Grateful Dead’s 1977 Cornell University show, is considered by Allmans aficionados to be one of the best the group ever played. A “ferocious” late-period show in Fresno, Calif., before a small (2,000 people) crowd may be dusted off, and Holman is hoping to put the Allmans’ final concert, from Oct. 28, 2014 at New York’s Beacon Theatre, out in physical form.

Holman would also like to issue a set from guitarist Jack Pearson’s 1997 – 1999 tenure in the Allman Brothers Band. “We’re trying to figure out which (show) to put out,” the manager said. “We’ll ask Jack for his memory, any nights that stood out in his mind as a player.” Bert Holman revealed decisions about what to release are made “by commitee” which includes music industry exec Bill Levenson and guitarist Warren Haynes. “Warren is very involved in terms of track selection and reviewing performances,” Holman mentioned. “Warren has an encyclopedic mind about shows, certain song performances. He makes sure we get things right.”

https://www.jambase.com/article/allman-brothers-band-fillmore-west-among-archival-releases-pipeline

2. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’d love a physical copy of the final gig, but it’d currently cost me a small fortune to have a CD version shipped to Australia from Munck Music.

Kingsley Fats and JNTEX like this.
  3. This.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You’re probably right. If we do get a live 75 set someday, hopefully the multitrack tapes reveal the band on one of their good nights. Maybe I should be careful what I wish for, too.

JNTEX likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

I’m good with the 73-74 era. I’d welcome the 1972 performance from the Mar Y Sol Festival...the 5 man lineup...if the tapes still exist. There’s also the 12/31/72 New Orleans performance. And Watkins Glen 1973. Then you have Bakersfield and Oakland 1975. As for 1979-1982, there’s Columbia, MD from 1979. As for 1980, not sure if they recorded anything on multitrack tape. The December 81 (Passaic, NJ) and January 82 (Gainesville, FL) shows were recorded.

JNTEX and walrus like this.
  7. Myke

Factory pressed, just like it says on the Discogs page I linked.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

Interesting as my 2 official copies are CDRs

9. Myke

Duane Allman ~ Skydog Fan Page

Today in ABB history..............1969

Happy 50th Anniversary!

The Allman Brothers "Original Six" members play together at the Gray House at 2844 Riverside in Jacksonville, FL and form the Allman Brothers Band.

"I walked into rehearsal on March 26, 1969 and they played me the track they had worked up to Muddy Waters' "Trouble No More" and it blew me away. It was so intense.

I got my brother aside and said, I don't know if I can cut this. I don't know if I'm good enough." And he starts in on me: "You little punk, I told these people all about you and you don't come in here and let me down." Then I snatched the words out of his hand and said, "Count it off, let's do it." And with that, I did my damnedest. I'd never heard or sung this song before, but by God I did it. I shut my eyes and sang, and at the end of that there was just a long silence. At that moment we knew what we had. Duane kinda pissed me off and embarrassed me into singing my guts out. He knew which buttons to push."
    ~ Gregg Allman as noted in Alan Paul's book, "One Way Out".

"They asked me if I had any songs with me, and I told them I had twenty-two, so they told me to play them. I'd get through with one, and they'd ask me, "What else you got?" I'd play 'em another one and they were like, "that was kinda neat, a little potential; what else you got?"

After twenty of them, I'm going. "Of ****, I might be without a job here in a minute." I had two songs left - "Not My Cross to Bear" and "Dreams". I showed them "Dreams" first, and let me tell you, they joined right in. We proceeded to sit down, learn that song the same way you hear it today, and I was in, brother. They loved it. I bet we played that thing eleven times in a row, and the more we played it, the better it got."
    ~ Gregg Allman - as noted in his book, "My Cross to Bear"

Band photograph by Stephen Paley

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

They’re pretty close but at the very least we should finally get a killer version of Dreams from the Fillmore (albeit West not East. If only the mike was working for that Sept 70 version)

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I’m okay with latter period shows, but c’mon, the band needs to release a vintage show from the 1970’s.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

I agree...post 71, in my opinion.

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The late, great Skip Littlewood, who did the mastering of all the ABB's Archive series in the early Noughties, mastered the soundboard tapes of 01/30-31/71 in around 2006 in preparation for these shows to be Archive #6 or #7 - not sure if it's both that will be coming out, but this feels like long overdue!

(NB. The dating of all this stuff is a bit nebulous, as there are also audience tapes of 01/28/71 out there, also worked on by Skip, as well as a show marked "01/29/71" which Wolfgang's Vault stream on their site, but which is suspected by some to be note-for-note the same as the untampered 01/28/71)

14. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

I bought a couple of limited edition "flamingo shirts" (long sleeve tees) from him back in the late 00s ... before he got sick ...

Just a very nice guy, near as I could tell ... will treasure them always ...

Here's to Capt. Skipper ! :tiphat:

15. Grooving to "Dimples" this morning to celebrate 50 years. As to Skip, I did this about 20 years ago on the very old ABB site and I could not think of another way to honor Skip's memory.

Captskip (sung to Billy Joel's Captain Jack)

Christmas Day and you're hammocking around
    Sherry's tired of you wearing her nightgown
    You'd not like to find a worm in your cuervo gold
    Or so we're told

So you go to the store in your really tight jeans
    And lustfully stare at the hardwood beams
    It's like some new home-decorating magazine
    and you're in style

But Captskip will get you hi-fi tonight
    And take you to the digital island
    Captskip will get you hi-fi tonight
    Just a little push on play and you'll be smiling
    La da da, oh yeah yeah

Your long-lost twin sister Kenny is on a date
    And you just sit home and contemplate
    That zoom zoom zoom is gonna come but do you really hate
    That fhocking sound

So you stood on the corner in your old disco clothes
    And you looked so dainty with the mustache neath your nose
    But still the desert dust is getting in your Bose
    Don't forgot what wire is ground

La da da, oh yeah yeah

So you decided to take a bath today
    You got your mini disc and your cafe ole
    Ah, but there's no place for you to sashay
    On the newly laid harwood floor

You've got nothing brand new but everything's cool
    They've just found the missing master tape on its spool
    And you guess you won't be wearing any disco jewels
    Those you abhor

La da da, oh yeah yeah

So you play your new audio cd and you pave your lot
    And you meet your Swiss friends out where it's hot
    Oh, but still you ache for communal showers--Sherry says not
    It was wrong

And if you can't buy that the analog world is so dead
    And why you've got to keep in style, no more Ampeg
    Well, you're fifty-six and so must convert to book of red
    for a cleaner song

Yeah, Captskip will get you hi-fi tonight
    Yeah, Captskip will get you hi-fi tonight
    (fade to end)

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

pool_of_tears and Myke like this.
  17. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Very cool...been an all things Allman fan since I was 11 yrs old! I’ll definitely be checking this out.

Spadeygrove and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I'm interested in this thing, as I read ... it could be a good album.
    Let's hope.
    I advise them: Please ... be careful to put a CD with a good DR on the market.
    A valid Dinamic Range ... would make your music even more enjoyable

19. classicrocker

I am a huge fan of the Duane era Brothers but don't discount the Haynes/ Trucks last version of the band. IMO, as much as I love Dickey Betts, that band was as close to the original band musically and in spirit out of all the post Duane lineups.

I highly recommend the official Munck live releases if you like the latter day band.

The Allman Brothers Band

20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Mine too. I bought the whole final Beacon run and they are blue backed CDRs.

21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Totally agree with this comment.
    I basically listen to this lineup and Duane era. I love what Dickey did but always gravitate to Duane/Dickey or Trucks/Haynes ABB. one day I have to explore other options.
    I am slowly getting all the FLACS for the 40th Anniversay set from Munck Music. This run is so good in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    classicrocker likes this.
  22. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Every single show in the Beacon 40th run is a must!!! I made a playlist with all the guests from each night. It’s a go to playlist for me.

The Allman Brothers Band: 2009

Vic_1957 likes this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Dickey/Haynes was my live introduction to the band and shouldn't be discounted, IMO. (Though I think it was Dickey/Haynes/Trucks for part of my first ABB concert. Of course Derek was about 13.)

Tuck1977 likes this.
  24. classicrocker

OK so I had to run errands this afternoon so spent some time in the car and had a chance to catch the premiere of the ABB Fillmore West broadcast on SiriusXM and here are my first impressions

The show was DJ'd by Warren Haynes wife, Stefani Scamardo, with him giving color commentary. It was mentioned that this will be a 4CD box set from 2 track SB tapes to be released later this year. She also said that the band played 4 nights, starting the 27th, as the middle act with Hot Tuna as the headliners, which jives for the band lineup, but not the dates, on the concert poster someone posted earlier. It was mentioned that the first nights tape from the 27th has not been found so I am assuming the box set will hopefully be from the last 3 nights.

Here was the first discrepancy I noticed as she claims the shows started the 27th to the 30th but the concert poster states 28-31st. Also I read on the ABB forum that the show from the 29th was actually played at Winterland and not the Fillmore West so I am curious what the reality is.

The second thing I noticed is the broadcast is claimed to be from the third show, which according to Scamardo's timeline would be the 29th, yet right before "Don't Keep Me Wondering" Duane says they enjoyed the first three nights and they would enjoy this one or something to that effect. So I am wondering if this tape is from the following night?

In any case the total broadcast time was around 45 minutes and a setlist of 7 songs which is about right when the Allmans played support. I got to listen to almost the complete broadcast except for about 15 minutes right before You Don't Love Me" where I had to get out of the car to take care of business.

First impression is this is a fantastic recording which is clear and well balanced for the most part. I did notice that for the first 2 tracks the drums were a bit recessed in the background and the same on the last track "Whipping Post". On the other tracks all the instruments are well balanced but, as you would expect with a 2 track SB recording, the separation is not very wide so as long as you're not expecting the multitrack separation of the 2014 Fillmore Recordings I think you won't be disappointed in the sound quality.

The performance is hot and the highlight for me was one of my favorite live Brothers tracks "You Don't Love Me". You can hear elements of the later version that is on the original Fillmore East album but with interesting twists. The playing is much looser and more improvised IMO and the famous Duane solo is very similar to the Fillmore East version but slower with Betts and Berry noodling in the background behind him as opposed to the intense Fillmore East solo with Butch and Jaimoe driving Duane on with their powerhouse drumming.

All in all a very exciting treat awaits us when this box set finally is released.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  25. Myke

No mention of a vinyl release ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.