Allman Brothers 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Devon is talking about how the album is 100% analog, recorded on 2" inch tape...all about the SQ he says ! And vinyl is definite !!!!!

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

From the Hittin' The Web site, here are the set lists they have for the Fillmore West 1971. This should be an interesting vault release.

Jan 28

1. Statesboro Blues
    2. Trouble No More
    3. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
    4. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    5. Midnight Rider
    6. Dreams
    7. You Don't Love Me
    8. Whipping Post

Jan 29

1. You Don't Love Me
    2. Whipping Post

Jan 31

1. Statesboro Blues
    2. Trouble No More
    3. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
    4. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    5. Midnight Rider
    6. Hoochie Coochie Man
    7. Stormy Monday
    8. You Don't Love Me
    9. Hot 'Lanta
    10. Whipping Post

They don't have anything listed for the Jan 30 set list.

Hopefully, a good sounding version of Dreams.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Bill Mac likes this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wolfgang's has the full set from the 29th on its site, same as the 28th just without Midnight Rider.

setlist.fm has the 30th as this:
    1. Trouble No More
    2. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    3. Midnight Rider
    4. I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man
    5. Dreams
    6. Hot 'Lanta
    7. Whipping Post
    8. Statesboro Blues
    We'll have to see if this is correct.

Dreams from the 29th is good-for me, better than Ludlow, but not as transcendental as Stonybrook, can't wait to hear the other nights for comparison.

So an average for the 11 songs (basing off of other previously released performances) will yield around a 95 minute playlist

four sticks and John Fell like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wonder if we will ever get a good sounding version of Don't Want You No More/It's Not My Cross To Bear by the original band.

Mark E. Moon and walrus like this.
  5. John Harchar

That we definitely need! They seemed to drop those two and Black Hearted Woman by the end of 1969, at least on a regular basis.

John Fell likes this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They played a version of Don't Want You No More/It's Not My Cross To Bear, at the Warehouse in New Orleans in 1970 I'm not sure if they have the show in good sound quality.

It would also be nice if they have a good sounding version of their cover of Albert King's Oh Pretty Woman.

7. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I always wondered why they didn't play more songs knowing they were recording a few nights at Fillmore East. At least they attempted an early version of One Way Out and Stormy Monday as well as Drunken Hearted Boy for the final show. I suppose they had an idea of the main songs they were hoping to put on the live album and by 1971, a lot of the first album tracks had been played to death so no Don't Want You No More, It's Not My Cross To Bear, Black Hearted Woman or Dreams. In addition Duane seemed to want to play all of his slide tunes at the beginning and none of the first three tunes from the first album have slide. In addition Dreams had a slide solo but it's in standard tuning. I was surprised they didn't do Dreams at one of the shows.

John Fell and rockclassics like this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree.

Dreams was the big one that was missing from the Fillmore shows IMO.

Mark E. Moon, John Fell and walrus like this.
  9. John Harchar

Would've loved Dreams in place of Stormy Monday.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A recording of Dreams would have been a great addition to the set-list, but not in place of Stormy Monday, which was a commanding performance from the original Fillmore East album.

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A good Duane-era "Dreams" is really the only thing that could get me exited about a new show from that era. Not that anything they did isn't worth listening to, but the setlists just aren't exciting when it's the same dozen or so songs. I know others love dissecting the differences, and I do too, but I might die of old age before I even work through the ones that are already out there from the Complete Fillmore set, etc.

12. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Have to disagree. Stormy Monday was a great version. But Dreams was a special original song like Whipping Post and deserved to be performed. For all we know it's performance (and featuring Duane's two solos) could have been epic.

Mark E. Moon and rockclassics like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't disagree. As I said, Dreams would have been a great addition to the set-list. But I would not replace Stormy Monday, which I think was another epic performance from the Fillmore album.

14. John Harchar

I'd want them both as well, but if I had to choose something, that's the only thing available to make enough room. :cry:

I actually like the longer version with Thom included anyway. The good thing is now we can have an Allmans at the Fillmore with Dreams AND Stormy Monday! :edthumbs:

15. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Correct...

16. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Sorry my bad; you simply said you would keep Stormy Monday but Dreams as well if it were available. Got it.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

No way would I go for that swap. Stormy Monday is one of my favorites in that set - even with the harmonica section.

18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Dreams from the Skydog box is a great version.

John Fell and PhoffiFozz like this.
  19. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing, Interesting as the broadcast yesterday was claimed to be the complete show from the 29th. I also noticed that the mix varied on some of the songs and Duane's comment about having played 3 nights already so I wonder if it was a compilation of the nights?

Also, the setlists above don't seem to be 4CDs worth of music so looks like we may really get songs that are not in circulation.

John Fell likes this.
  20. classicrocker

Butch (RIP) claims in this interview they have Warehouse tapes so maybe we will see something someday

Are there other vintage shows that you would like to see released?
    There are some nights we did at the Warehouse in New Orleans that I’d give anything to have out. And we have ’em. Also pretty much anything from the Fillmores [East and West]. But definitely the Warehouse — every time we played there, it was magic.

Allman Brothers’ Butch Trucks Talks Epic 1971 Radio Concert – Rolling Stone

John Fell likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I thought I recalled reading somewhere that the band enjoyed playing at the Warehouse.

22. John Harchar

The set from the 29th on Wolfgang's is around 74 minutes. If the setlists are all correct, each show should be in the 70-80 minute range. The 31st may be over 80, if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if a song or two ended up on the disc for the 30th since that set looks to possibly be the shortest (around 70).

23. classicrocker

Well, the broadcast yesterday, claimed to be from the 29th, was about 45 minutes long and only 7 songs so something is not jiving. Also if you read the list of Duane era recordings on the ABB forum they claim only Whipping Post is known to exist from the 29th unless this is out of date info.

They do say there are recordings from the 28th, 30th and 31st so maybe the show on WGV is the wrong date?

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

25. John Harchar

Or what they have on Wolfgang's is a combo of dates as well, they have 7 songs:

Statesboro Blues (4:22)
    Trouble No More (4:12)
    Don't Keep Me Wondering (3:25)
    In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (14:32)
    Dreams (11:37)
    You Don"t Love Me (16:54)
    Whipping Post (18:44)

We'll see when the set comes out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.