Allman Brothers Band live box sets coming - both with Duane and immediately after his death

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Jul 26, 2021.

1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

John Lynskey, chief archivist and historian for the Allman Brothers Band Museum at The Big House, reports the following:

We are working on a live box set with the original lineup, 1969 to 1971. It will present the best version of every song they played live. It will be a true live compilation of the original band’s best work and I think that people are going to absolutely love it. We are curating it through a lot of listening followed by a lot of discussion, The team that Bert Holman has put together includes the sonic mastery of Bill Levenson, who wants things as a producer to sound a certain way. Then you have the historical input that comes from tour manager and photographer Kirk West, Richard Brent, (Executive Director of the Allman Brothers Band Museum) and me. It’s a real give and take. However, sometimes it’s a moot point because there’s only one version of a song available.

After the original lineup compilation is released, we want to go to a five-man band live compilation. The five-man band period, which was pretty short going from November of 1971 to summer of 1972, delivered shows that were out of this world. This is just prior to keyboardist Chuck Leavell joining the band. Just listening to how Gregg, Dickey and Berry came together to fill the unfillable void created by the loss of Duane Allman is just amazing. Betts stepped up, not just in his slide playing. But the guy who filled the biggest gap was Berry Oakley. He was a monster during that period playing lead and bass lines at the same time. It was amazing to see them all work together in their grief to make some amazing music. It’s a very overlooked period in the band’s history. I’ve immensely enjoyed digging deeply into the five-man band period and think that most people will find it as illuminating as I have.

Full interview, which includes details on the new release by The Brothers from Madison Square Garden, can be found here: The Allman Brothers and the Making of the 50th Anniversary Concert – PS Audio

kevinsponge, iggyd, tmiddle2 and 43 others like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

great news

chrisblower, ARK, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Should be fantastic. I just hope the source material is up to snuff as many of the archive releases are just a notch above audience recordings.

4. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Looking forward to this!!!

ARK, frank3si and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

At this point I will always preview for sound quality any new Allman Brothers releases prior to buying. Their record for releases with great sound quality has decreased significantly.

6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Wow... OK!

Given just about everything with Duane that’s of usable quality (And perhaps some that weren’t usable) has been released, this may be the last, best way to preserve and honor Duane’s legacy.

Same for the “Five Man Band.” Let’s not forget those five guys were all great, and important too. Considering the number of official releases with less than stellar sound, this may be the best we can hope for.

Curious to know what “The best version of every song they played live” will mean. I mean, if we get a lot of Fillmore East tracks all over again, for example, what’s the point of that?

Good to hear they’re addressing the question of sound, but we all know ABB didn’t keep a well-maintained vault like the GD so I can understand some skepticism.

Still hoping for full releases of good sounding shows where we know the tapes exist. Mar y Sol, for one.

Some of those late 70s shows, and more 1989-2014 (Including ALL the various lineups, esp. Jack Pearson and Jimmy Herring shows) need to happen too.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    ARK, Wright, Spadeygrove and 5 others like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Interested in the five-man lineup, although I'm still hoping for more stuff from the Chuck Leavell lineup, as well as something official from the Dan Toler and Jack Pearson years.

8. Matthew Tate

this will probably be just 4 cd's right? they didn't play that many different songs with duane. maybe 20?

9. Hopefully the involvement of Bill Levenson will be some guarantee of sound quality.If there is only 1 or 2 songs that only exist in bootleg quality that is ok but hopefully no more than that.
    Agree with the person above that anything from the Fillmore East album -original or expanded-should be excluded as anyone who would be in the market for this would have bought that stuff already-probably several times.
    With those provisos I’m in for these.

rockclassics and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

will it all just be already released stuff?

Stanton56, 905 and Guy Smiley like this.
  11. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The only mystery is which of the 3 or 4 live versions known to exist of Blue Sky will be used. Otherwise, probably the same 12 songs over & over.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Guy Smiley

A while ago, in a different thread, I think I came up with more than 20 but fewer than 30. I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  13. Matthew Tate

thank you. i'm guessing pretty much all of the first 2 albums, "blue "sky" and a bunch of covers?

Guy Smiley likes this.
  14. Guy Smiley

Can’t seem to find the thread now, but that’s about right. Let’s see::

First two albums: 14 songs.

The various Fillmore East releases: Statesboro Blues, One Way Out, Stormy Monday, You Don’t Love Me, Hot ‘Lanta, Mountain Jam, Drunken Hearted Boy (Did I miss any?) - 7 songs

Various other covers: Dimples, Outskirts, Soul Serenade, and a one-off (?) of Johnny B. Goode. That’s 4 more.

And, as you mentioned, Blue Sky.

So... 26 songs?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

26, "blue sky"

16. Guy Smiley

Just corrected that seconds after I posted! Knew I’d missed something.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if one of our forum Staff members could change the title of this thread to:

Allman Brothers Band live box sets coming - one with Duane and one recorded soon after his death

My poor choice of original title words makes it sound like there are two box sets sharing a mix of content. And I call myself a writer :sigh:

18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Wonderful news!!! I gotta, cana and willa!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I think I would rather hear complete shows with best sound quality rather than a compilation of tracks from many different shows.

musicaner, pscreed, Bill Mac and 5 others like this.
  20. Acoustic Warrior

Yes we takes that too, but this is gonna be great.

ARK and frank3si like this.
  21. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Yes please.

ARK, Guy Smiley and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Acoustic Warrior

I am in the crowd that freakin' demands some Jack Pearson/Jimmy Herring shows properly shown respect.
    No question about it.

ARK, markp, GPM and 8 others like this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably the one from the SUNY archives release. I suspect there will be some unreleased recordings, but I would expect there to be a number of familiar, previously released staples part of the Duane Allman era set.

ARK, Vic_1957, Skydog7 and 2 others like this.
  24. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

20? To me it seems like it was the same 10-12 songs for most of their earlier shows. The Bros certainly didn't have a varied setlist in those days. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to hear this. However, I don't expect any one-off tunes that we haven't heard before.

Kingsley Fats and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

look above. looks like they played 27

chickendinna likes this.