Allman Brothers Band live box sets coming - both with Duane and immediately after his death

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Jul 26, 2021.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Nor were the 5 hour shows quite accurate.

ARK, Skydog7 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. WarEagleRK

For anyone who reads this with any persuasion over what gets released, here is RK's top 5 archive releases he'd like to see.

1. Watkins Glen box set with all sets by the Dead, The Band & The ABB + soundchecks and anything else that exists.
    2 .Beacon 2009 box set with both Clapton shows on CD and Bluray
    3. Jack Pearson era CD/Bluray set
    4. Derek & Herring era CD/Bluray set
    5. Career spanning "Runnin' Down A Dream" type documentary. (This should have been done a decade ago.)

Honorable mention: A proper release of the final show, not the MunckMusic version.

ARK, allbrosca, markp and 6 others like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think that is the best way to approach the Watkins Glen event. It may take cross-licensing or a partnership between EMI/Universal and WB/Rhino because the Allman's are with Universal, The Band with Capitol (which is part of EMI/Universal), and The Dead with WB/Rhino, but it could make for a fantastic box set.

ARK, pscreed, Matthew Tate and 4 others like this.
  4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

For sure!

The RFK shows circulate, and sound pretty good, but an official release with Plangent Process, etc., would be the bee’s knees. Shame that never materialized. Maybe now, with ABB’s camp doing more? Can’t imagine Dave Lemieux (The GD’s archivist) would be against it.

Pretty sure I have at least one, maybe, of the two GD shows too, and it’s a typical GD ‘73 (Both bands were on top of their game that year). Haven’t listened to any of those for far too long. I need to dig those CDs out and give them a spin.

5. Guy Smiley

The Gregg Allman Tour is just begging for a deluxe release.

ARK, Bill Mac, Skydog7 and 6 others like this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’d rather have full shows. I can edit myself and make my own comps, if I choose :)

7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I have read Gregg Allman was not a fan of the archive releases and it was one of the reasons it died off after the original 5 releases while Butch Trucks was a big supporter. Now that Gregg has passed on maybe the roadblock is no longer there?

As far as what is left, Butch claimed in an old interview that they have all of the Duane era New Orleans Warehouse tapes he was hoping to get released and Kirk West confirmed they have more Duane era tapes then have been released in the Summer 2002 Issue 35 of Hittin the Note mag so maybe they use some of the unreleased cuts on the boxset

I am paraphrasing here to just give the facts but here is what Kirk said in the interview so it leads me to believe there is more unreleased material in the archive they could draw from.

Kirk West: The tapes start in 1970, we don't have any from 1969, but we have tapes from 70, 71 plus some killer stuff from 72, 73, and 75. We've got some wonderful material from the six or seven year period, real prime cuts. Now our friend Larry ( Brantley) has come up with some more great tapes. About a year ago he cleaned out another closet and found half a dozen tapes, and four of them are from 71 shows. Master tapes all of them, and we rounded up a bunch of mid 70's stuff. We have tapes (70/71) that are a couple of weeks apart.

Butch Truck complete interview

Allman Brothers' Butch Trucks Talks Epic 1971 Radio Concert

David Fricke: Are there other vintage shows that you would like to see released?

Trucks: There are some nights we did at the Warehouse in New Orleans that I’d give anything to have out. And we have ’em. Also pretty much anything from the Fillmores [East and West]. But definitely the Warehouse — every time we played there, it was magic.

I tend to believe Butch as we got the Mountain Jam from the March 13, 1970 Warehouse concert as a bonus track on the Fillmore West Release so where is the rest of the show?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  8. pool_of_tears

Yes…6 shows were recorded, according to Bill Levenson.

ARK, allbrosca, Bill Mac and 4 others like this.
  9. pool_of_tears

And the Dan Toler era, too. At least 3 shows were professionally recorded on multitrack tape:

Columbia, MD 1979
    Passaic, NJ 1981
    Gainesville, FL 1982

It would be awesome if the July 9, 1980 NYC Palladium show was recorded on multitrack tape. The FM broadcast is pretty good quality overall, despite a few minor cuts. And, it’s a strong performance.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Guy Smiley like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

The Capital Theatre in Passaic had their own in house video crew, so they also have video of Passaic 79, 80 & 81.

11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I hope these get a general release and are not limited to Big House releases like the final show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Guy Smiley

^^^^^^ THIS.

Full shows, if the tapes exist and are good. Which, in the case of the shows mentioned, should be the case.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  13. WarEagleRK

At least with that one you could still order it online.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. classicrocker

That's the rub and the challenge though for ABB Management. What is considered acceptable quality to the fans.

It seems every time they release a new archive title some fans complain about the sound quality and how management dropped the ball or should never have released that concert.

This happened with the Fillmore West, Texas 71 and lastly Painter's Mill Duane last concert release.

I asked on the ABB forum about the release of another known tape in the archives, one of the Warehouse audience tapes in collector circulation, which I think is very good quality and a fantastic performance and the response from someone with band connections was they felt it was not good enough quality for commercial release.

Not sure of how ABB Management decides what to release, and what is acceptable quality, but it has to be tough as I am speculating that what they have left for the Duane and mid 70's era are 2 track SB tapes at best.

Personally I will take whatever the band is willing to release even if it is Painters Mill quality, but I understand everyone has different criteria of acceptable sound quality.

ARK, allbrosca, frank3si and 5 others like this.
  15. backtomono

backtomono Forum Resident

Was there ever a release with any of their Warehouse shows I seem to remeber seeing they played there a lot

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. WarEagleRK

Only bootlegs.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. backtomono

backtomono Forum Resident

ok thanks for reply ive heard some of the warehouse stuff on youtube and definitely w0uld be great to have a proper release

18. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Cool, but really, do need another version of Hot Lanta? This material has been released ad nauseam at this point; the point of diminishing returns has been reached for this guy.

19. classicrocker

According to this excellent website ABB played the Warehouse 10 times during the Duane era. As far as I know there are tapes for 5 of those shows in collector circulation including some SB quality.

THE WAREHOUSE CONCERTS LIST

There are European grey market "Radio Show' releases of a few of the tapes but AFAIK there are not any complete official Warehouse releases

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Definitely! And it's not like Gregg recorded thirty solo albums so to have all of them given the deluxe treatment wouldn't be that crazy.

ARK, pscreed, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Skip Littlewood prepared the tapes of the ABB's RFK performances for release in a 4-CD set, before the Archive series was canned - I don't think it ever get as far as test pressings or final artwork, but there are some of us out there who have copies of what he did.

ARK, Matthew Tate, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  22. Guy Smiley

I’m hit and miss on solo Gregg after Laid Back and Tour... Playin’ up a Storm has its moments, while the two 80s album are much too slick (But again, have their moments). I would like to hear some stuff from any of those albums stripped down, more raw sounding.

I’m also curious to hear the early sessions for what became Searchin’ For Simplicity. It’s a terrific album, but I understand the demos/early sessions are even better.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Kingsley Fats like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

ARK, hoggydoggy and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Agreed, Playin' is a bit too slick as well so I'd love to hear some outtake sessions there and the 1980s ones are definitely covered in the 80s production sheen so expanded, raw outtakes would make for a great listen. Where did you hear the demos for Searching are better than the album? If so, count me in even more for that one. Low Country Blues had a perfect sound for solo Gregg, imo, and whether there are many outtakes for that or Southern Blood, I wouldn't know but would buy all of them, given the chance.

ARK likes this.
  25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Scintillating one-off, though most certainly not available in better quality for the box.

We discussed in a separate thread who actually does the lead vocals. I'm not sure we reached a conclusion.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.