ALMOST became a tube convert

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

The saga continues - I nosed around and discovered that Dynaco MK IV amps were skinny enough to go behind my entertainment center, so I decided to try and pick some up. Unfortunately, they are tough to find and so I needed some patience - found a single on Ebay, bid, but it got pricey so I stopped bidding. Lo and behold, a keen observer saw my bid and emailed me off the books about a stock pair with no mods in excellent shape minus tubes with a decent price - I sez sure, if you can get them tested and run with a load for an hour or so (thanks for the tip, Steve) and with a guarantee that I could return if not as described. Sure said the seller; I then waited a few weeks, and actually rounded up some nice NOS tubes (7199's, 5AR4's, Siemens EL-34's - hey, I'm gonna do this right). Still no response, so yesterday I email and seller says "oops, I forgot, I sold them to somebody else!" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.............................

2. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Indy Mike,

Sorry to hear about your situation. My advice is NEVER make an off-the-book purchase or sale on eBay. There are people who specifically search out the second-highest bidder in order to make these types of deals. Thing is you have NO legal recourse. So, if something goes wrong, or they can get a higher price from someone else...too bad so sad, you can't say anything about it. Good luck.

3. indy mike

Hi, I'd actually purchased from the seller before (train stuff, very accurately graded), so I wasn't too worried about that aspect. Yep, you do hafta be careful on such transactions - buyer beware...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, crap Mike. Well, Mk IV's are really incredible, or you can get a decent St70 from either ebay or Audiogon.

That's where I got my Rotel Pre. Have you asked in Audiogon where it says "wanted to buy"? Believe it or not, there are a lot of Dynaco hordes in there and they will sell for a good price. Try?

5. indy mike

Well, I'd love a St-70 but I've got such a narrow spot I can safely keep those hot tubes from my little guy's paws that I need the skinny chassis; I also like the dual mono nature of the MK IV's... I'll give audiogon a try - thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.