Alternatives Now that Needle Doctor is out of business

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffs11375, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffs11375

jeffs11375 Active Member Thread Starter

Now that Needle Doctor is out of business is there another seller who will sell a stereo cartridge and mount it in the head and ship who is as reliable as they were?

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

bluejimbop and macster like this.
  3. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Does Music Direct offer that service? They sell high end gear (and cartridges), so you'd hope they would.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Fairly limited cartridge selection.

Scramble, McLover and PhxJohn like this.
  5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

6. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

Please! Don't make me have to use LP Gear now.

7. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Now you guys know why I bought ( and stashed away) EIGHT Denon DL-103r cartridges from Needle Doctor.
    Sorry they went kaput.
    I was afraid something like this COULD happen.
    Last time there was a drought for a couple of decades, I believe.

[​IMG]

Benzion, jusbe, Dignan2000 and 4 others like this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Lpgear and turntableneedles

9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

There are plenty of places that sell cartridges and shells. It’s not really rocket science to pair them together.

10. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Yep, LPGear. Big selection, good prices. Never had an issue buying from them.

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Either you need a long hug or an intervention. Maybe both.

Nice stash, in any case.

12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I am curious. Why do people rarely mention LPTunes ? They really are the same company as LPGear with some different choices. Many choices between the two websites are the same. LPTunes is the authorized JICO retailer for North America.

Daedalus likes this.
  13. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Elusive Disc is a pretty good online source as well.

ls35a, F1nut, wolfyboy3 and 1 other person like this.
  14. ltusler

ltusler Forum Resident

I read in the Mpls. Biz Journal today, he is thinking of selling it but is in no hurry.

15. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I was just about to mention elusive disc as well. I have bought there for years. They just got an updated website, too! I don't know about fixing a cart to a headshell, but I bet if you ask nicely they will do it for you. They setup my Prime Scout for me and did a nice job. I live close to them and went and picked it up. Interesting facilities.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

2Juki @ e-bay. Excellent prices, fast shipping. Denon & Dynavector

Benzion, jusbe and Scramble like this.
  17. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Really liked going to this place since it was only 5 minutes from my daughter's house. It always felt like going back in time when I walked in the door (in a good way).
    Always a fun visit and just one less cool place populated by folks who spoke the same language.

Scramble, Dignan2000 and ggergm like this.
  18. Scramble

Scramble Active Member

Yes! I have bought a few things from him over the past 20 years. I have a Fidelity Research FR64fx tonearm & found him doing a search on e-Bay back in 2000.
    I never had a problem with LP Gear.
    Why would you want a cart setup in a headshell? Every tonearm is different & should be set up yourself.
    Gotta love when an OP starts a thread & never comes back! LOL

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Last time someone said that to me is when I didn't shave for a couple of weeks. :D

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, you can still go to Minneapolis for the ribs...Rudolph's is right down the street from The Electric Fetus...! :righton:

21. NickCaveFan

NickCaveFan New Member

Yes, Electric Fetus is still nearby an survived the construction by their shop. Also Roadrunner and Mill City.
    Rudolph's has not. They have been gone for awhile.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's too bad, but few things last forever. I remember a summer when we did lunch at Rudy's, walked up to Fetus, then caught a bus back to our convention hotel.

Normally I would have 'like'd your post, but...now you just went and made me hungry....:cry:

23. I use LP Gear and Amazon. I had issues with LP Gear years ago. As there business has grown, there service has gotten better.

24. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

They're great as long as you don't have an issue. Bought from them many times... then had a problem once, and discovered why there are so many bad experiences chronicled on the net.

Never again. Customer service / satisfaction is not their priority.

25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I've bought cartridges from LP Gear, 2 juki, Amazon, Needle Doctor, Music Direct, Safe and Sound.to name a few....

.... Amazon be careful, it's possible that you got someone's return that they put right back on the shelf. I bought an AT cartridge once where the stylus was missing, and another time where it was clearly used. LP Gear as long as you don't require customer service and have a problem.... YMMV.

Most places however stand behind the product...... you have to decide how important "authorized dealer" is too if saving money on Ebay, etc.... however, AT has been known to still stand behind cartridges in gray markets cases too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.