Alternatives when your amp is in the shop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Thats why I build them myself... if I blow one up I already have another ready to go.

McLover and Madness like this.
  2. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

The word "amp" can mean different things to different people are you talking about a integrated, power or preamp cause a receiver can also be seen as amp

Madness likes this.
  3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

I'm referring to my power amp.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  4. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

How long do you expect your amp to be in the shop? Around here, you can get pre-HDMI receivers all day long for $9.99 at Goodwill. Not something I'd want long term, but something I could live with for a couple weeks if I didn't have a back up amp.

patrickd, Scratcha and rodentdog like this.
  5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Got to have a backup amp & backup speakers.

Only need one TT and CD player... unless they both crash out at the same time.

6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

You can be a cold-blooded consumer and take advantage of a dominant online retailer and order something to return? Just be careful to read the fine print and not get carried away with your "demo" so as not to inadvertently purchase something you don't really mean to.
    Go ahead, judge me. :nauga:

Scratcha likes this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Get a $25 chip amp from Amazon.

8. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Thank you for the clarification I have B&K reference series 200.2 S2 that I use as backup

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The audio salon I make most of my purchases from always has a loaner unit ready for me.

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" end-game " good one :biglaugh:

patrickd likes this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Get a basic Blutooth transmitter to connect to your preamp, and a pair of wireless Blutooth headphones - then you can walk around the house while listening.

12. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Headphones. Maybe get a headphone amp too. If LPs, headphones out of a decent, inexpensive phono stage, like the Art DJ Pre II (solid state) or maybe the Fosi Audio Box X2 (valves/tubes).

13. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

14. Rock in the corner, muttering incoherent things, while twiddling my fingers.

Reality: I just find other things to do...there are a jillion options.

15. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

This! We were given a small Bose Soundlink. It is perfect for background music and goes in places like the kitchen or out on the deck. I select a song or two I like, and Spotify generates a terrific playlist. Tonally it is especially good for piano music like Bill Evans and is surprisingly good with the human voice.

16. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

This. The sound quality may even surprise you. After hearing a cheapo based on the TPA3116 board a few years ago I purchased an amp from Fleawatt (TPA3116D2, 25 wpc). Derek builds some fine sounding amps based on this board. Cost more than a cheapo Fosi, for example, but was worth it to me.

17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Fortunately I have a decent second system. When I couldn’t use any systems for whatever a good old GE SuperRadio provides a nice throwback to the local FM radio broadcasts. I can’t see having only one system at this point though as our Bed/sitting room system is our A/V as well as secondary back up music system. I also have a JBL Extreme Speaker that’s also great for listening.
    Good luck and hope you’re up and running again soon.

18. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

End game? I don’t don’t wanna hear anything about any “End Game”. I want to be able to sleep at night.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Tim 2 likes this.
  19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

20. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

A Rega Brio or an Arcam Delta 290/290p combo...

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I bought a used Adcom power amp years ago when my NAD was in for repairs multiple times. Glad I did as it turned out to be a fantastic amp when the NAD finally died. Still keep it as a back-up. $200 well spent.

23. Madness

Lol I did state "near" end game

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Found a used Denon AVR for $5 at a garage sale. Cost $10 for a power cord. Back up...check.

25. Madness

A what? Link?