Am I BS'ing myself about my system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Automatic Porsche???...hell no!!Dont get me wrong I've owned Audi and BMW autos that where a hoot....but max fun /appreciation in a Porsche?

FramboGND and Ingenieur like this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, when your hearing gets worse, you have to find ways to "voice" your speakers accordingly, like placement or even an EQ adjustment of some sort.

Ingenieur likes this.
  3. Glmoneydawg

Judging by the measurements/in room response you're enjoying,i doubt there's much wrong with your hearing.

wgb113 and Ingenieur like this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

I'm not sure it's my hearing, it's good.
    I can't tell when music sounds wrong, say a bass run up and down scale and one note is not loud enough or too loud. I would never notice that. If it was pointed out to me I might.

But if I see a hole or bump in a sweep I know where to start. The downside is sometimes you can't fix it and now you know it's there. Lol
    Luckily imo I have no glaring flaws.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    wgb113, Glmoneydawg and Chris Schoen like this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Recently, I found that my speakers were too "mid-forward" (to my now "older" ears,) and by using my "variable loudness" knob on my integrated
    receiver I was able to bring the mids down so my speakers were "voiced" better for my hearing. Enjoying the music much more now.

Glmoneydawg and Ingenieur like this.
  6. Ingenieur

I have no idea why 'audiophiles' have an aversion to tone controls. I think pride? Ego ? Lol
    A small adjustment can make a big difference. Likely bigger than a gear swap.

Chris Schoen and Glmoneydawg like this.
  7. Ingenieur

Mother Nature plays no favorites. Lol
    I can hear flat to 6-8k the limit of most tests. That doesn't mean I can't hear 16k, only that it may be down > 6 dB. But the recording engineer fixes a lot of that with careful EQ and since there isn't much content up there anyways not a big deal imo.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  8. Glmoneydawg

Like most hobbies Nth degree simplification is a goal when you start out....fortunately in our little hobby dsp/equalization ect is waiting for us to fix things as our hearing changes down the road :)

Ingenieur likes this.
  9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Exactly!!!

We don’t know what we don’t know. How many times have all of us thought “my system can’t possibly sound any better “

And then we hear an improvement and learn. And it happens again and again. Probably happened to me 50 times in the last 20 years.

Kyhl and Josquin des Prez like this.
  10. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Lots of audiophiles remind me of the Alligator shirt-wearing crowd in high school - too insecure to make their own decisions about how they present their identities and opinions.
    (I am anti-identity, before y’all jump on my broke back mountain)

Ingenieur and Glmoneydawg like this.
  11. Glmoneydawg

Yes and no...room size,preffered listening distance ect all have a part to play here.Taking it to extremes but if you had to listen in a 10ft square room...Wilson Chronosonics??or perhaps something more suitable??

12. Chris Schoen

Well, unless all the sources you play are well mastered, if you don't have the ability to do a little "correction", you just will
    have to live with the sound you get. I have a lot of great music, but some just needs a little "help" to make it sound better.
    Just a fact of life...

Ingenieur and olson like this.
  13. olson

olson Forum Resident

Quoted for truth!

I was at an 'audiophile group' listening party once where the main system was in a glassy room with hardwood floors. The host went AWOL for a bit so I added about three notches of bass, and two of mids, and turned down the treble a notch or two on his rebuilt Sansui Integrated. The difference was stunning, especially to the guys that thought tone controls should be banished.

14. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

That’s beautiful. I’m working on getting my new speakers dialed in with a combination of positioning and correction and can only hope for results like this.

15. Ingenieur

Enlightenment is difficult, not expensive, it can't be bought. It is earned thru work and spiritual growth and learning.

Perhaps in this case it is knowing what you have is enough and more will not be better? Knowing when enough is enough.

Ignorance is not bliss. It is not lack of enlightenment. It is believing you can buy bliss.

wgb113 and The Pinhead like this.
  16. Sweet rig! If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Ingenieur likes this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Oh, I see. Thanx!

18. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Well, whether you have a $1300 system or a $130k system it's still all about balance. Overwhelming a room with inappropriate speakers is just bad judgement.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

Agreed...and exactly my point.

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I find myself saying this a lot about many things…from HiFi to business “goals”…

doctor fuse and Ingenieur like this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

None of my gear in the last 35+ years has had tone controls. In those 35+ years I've never played a record and thought to myself, "gee I need some tone controls to fix this." It's not that I'm adverse to tone controls per say. I just think – at least for me – it's a solution looking for a problem.

I do have some classical records that are mastered to bright, but in my experience I've never heard tone controls that would "fix" that in a satisfactory way that doesn't negatively affect other aspects of the music. In the case of my records, I can increase the loading on my phono-stage to tame a treble extension a bit.

Doctor Fine and Kyhl like this.
  22. Ingenieur

I listened to 2 lps earlier
    Somethin' Else
    Black Orpheus

I can say with 100% certainty that there is not a system that would have allowed me to enjoy more.
    Isn't that the only metric that counts?
    ;)

23. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Don’t think of it as correcting anything but your room/speaker relationship which is more profound in what you hear than anything else in your system.

24. Ingenieur

Or not knowing there is a problem, you know, the old ignorance is bliss trope.
    :)

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  25. Glmoneydawg

It is :cheers:

Ingenieur likes this.