Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I liked Adam...quick wit, intelligent and funny...what happened? why did he disappeared?

RSteven likes this.
  2. Michael

not anymore. : )

RSteven likes this.
  3. It’s obviously subjective and a matter of taste I enjoy Kimmel as a host. Think his humor is safe but I love when he gets serious and sincere. .

Colbert is very clever and charismatic and I love his political nature. But Oliver is flat the funniest. I’ve seen his stand up which is great and I adore him injecting humor in long stories

4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Isn't Kimmel taped in an old Masonic Temple?

5. Michael

thanks for the explan...

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Other then James Corden that once in a while I will DVR, the rest are worthless. Either not funny or big mouths.

RSteven likes this.
  7. Michael

8. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Seth Meyers, Steve Colbert, Conan, John Oliver all have top notch writing staffs and the hosts are masterful. Used to write jokes for Letterman, so to me, they’ve carried on his legacy the most. You can keep Fallon.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

with hulu/amazon/Netflix/roku etc....theres to many great shows, why watch a show based on people promoting stuff ill probably not watch. if any of the hosts tickled my funny bone, maybe....but nahh

10. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yesterday I answered this with a two-sentence direct quote from Kimmel from that night's monologue. And it was immediately censored by the gorts apparently. So I can only refer you to look up the date and see for yourself then.

11. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I've got a picture of a dog with a club foot.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The one good thing about Fallon is that The Roots certainly have their moments.

Seth's opening monologue until Closer Look and/or "Black women and lesbians are liars!" sketch is really funny most nights.

Colbert might be the best interviewer.

Maybe we can get a clip show made where they take Seth's monologue, Colbert's interviews, and Fallon's musical sketches and roll them into one show!?

Taxman and Pete Puma like this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

According to a post on the Norm Mcdonald thread, he has a podcast. I never watched the Man show but when I worked nights, Loveline was pretty damn funny. Quick wit for sure.

14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Corolla digital is a huge podcast network - and his podcast is always near the top of the charts - he's doing okay for himself.

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I will check it out along with a few of the Norm interviews.

16. Michael

thanks...I'll check it out.

17. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

As a UK resident without direct access to these shows in full, I view and enjoy Colbert's opening monologue (he is the best for me ) Seth's Closer Look and Trevor Noah on YouTube regularly. John Oliver is also a must watch as he disects topics with precision and skill, making them funny and serious at the same time!

HadgeTunes likes this.
  18. Stari Vrag

Stari Vrag Well-Known Member

They're all unwatchable and worse, their words completely dictated by their corporate masters and their interests.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Depends. I have a hard time believing the hosts would specifically endorse one way of thinking without being at least mostly comfortable with it.

Nevertheless, things have changed dramatically over the last few years.

- The old shows like Letterman and Leno have disappeared. They weren't preachy and rather formulaic but they at least were there as alternatives.

- Very little irreverence in these shows, now. Conan's has also taken far fewer risks which is interesting considering the fact that he largely has creative control which isn't what he had when he was with NBC. But I guess he doesn't have the same level of energy he used to have. He's also shortening his show from 60 to 30 min, only 4 nights a week.

- Craig Ferguson's show was a breath of fresh air. He clearly didn't give a damn about the traditional values of these talk shows and completely deconstructed the format, refused to use cue cards, was extremely irreverent, improvisation was the only constant, and the guests were disarmed and charmed when interacting with him. And also the most truthful of all the hosts in how he presented himself, not shying from his problems with substance abuse, and publicly eulogizing his parents when they died, scolding the media for how they kicked celebrities when they were deeply troubled (as was the case with Britney Spears back on that episode), etc. Truly a great show that won't be repeated. It's now off the air as he got tired of doing it. Some believe it's because he didn't get Colbert's seat but he had already wanted to leave 2 years prior to that and was eventually convinced to extend his contract.

- Nowadays, most shows are extremely politicized. Colbert and Myers are two extremely politically-inclined hosts and since I despise politics and find it inherently unfunny, I can't watch their shows at all. Being constantly preached to is something I dislike quite a bit. Comedy, IMHO, should be about random surprises which don't carry the heavy baggage of politics.

So there's nothing I like except for some Conan skits and they are quite rare, now. His trip to Italy was some of the funniest stuff he's done in years which was a nice surprise. More often than not, it's not interesting and the guests have more and more freedom to talk about their platforms (political, causes, donations, etc) than ever before which is a downer and quite boring to me. Also, more than ever before, they seem to carry a lot of models. I'd rather have a funny comedian on than some other cookie-cutter blond who is boring. But I understand I'm probably in the minority.

I think these shows will probably be replaced by a YouTube-equivalent in the next 5 years or more. No band or extravagant set to pay for, far less staff to create the episodes, and it'll be inherently available to be watched by anybody at any time.

20. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

watched Jay Leno.

21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Can Jeff Tweedy get a late night TV talk show? I don't agree with his politics either,
    but I'd definitely be watching.

22. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

.....late night talk shows still exist???? :yikes:

andrewskyDE and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  23. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Aaaaah. I saw a few live episodes of Jay in Burbank back in the day. It was a fun experience!

When the Jay vs. David Letterman thing happened, Johnny sided with Dave. Over the years he would fax
    jokes to Dave and Dave would do them in his opening monologues.

goat65cars likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If you guys think the political divide here is huge, you should have been here when the Dave vs. Jay discussions were going on. Heavy stuff

25. I still say that Vince Vaughn should get a late night talk show. He was a total natural when he subbed for Letterman a decade and change back, and his career is in a place where such a gig might be more appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.