Amazing 1,000+ LP score last weekend

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wally Swift, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Exactly my thoughts. This guy had very serious, exquisite taste in those musical genres. I have some of these titles still, but alas, I sold off a lot of my old-time country vinyl in the late 80s with items like Gid Tanner & The Skillet Lickers, Uncle Dave Macon, Maddox Brothers & Rose. That "Ernest Tubb Record Shop" album was killer stuff, and I adored the cover, I could kick myself for letting it go.

2. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Great find. Great Story. Great photos. Amazing! Are there any more of those County records in the collection?? I found an old fiddle record, The Kessinger Brothers, in a thrift store on County and it's amazing. I think the recording was from 1929 or thereabouts sourced from 78's and the sound is surprisingly decent. What's better than the sound though, is the spirit of those performances! Wow. Congratulations on your astonishing find!!!

3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

All still sealed [except the George Jones, spinning now!];

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wally Swift

At least 100.

5. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Any idea why he left so many of them sealed? I can't imagine stockpiling that much music and never playing it.

I love the Buck Owens "Cold Hart Facts" album cover.

6. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

:bigeek: :uhhuh::thumbsup:

7. Wally Swift

I've been scratching my head over that one too. He was a musician and a serious womaniser back in the day. He probably made good money as a fireman and bought records everytime he saw them. Playing live music and cheating on his wife though must have been a priority over playing records.

Cracking open half a century old SS King/Starday stuff is seriously other-worldly. This Alex Campbell and Olabelle & The New River Boys LP is smokin'.

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I am very, very happy for you. A great way to get some musical history into those ears that most of us will never get.

Does the load contain that 'Satan' or 'Devil' (I forgot the title) Louvin brothers record?

9. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Wow. There is some unbelievable stuff there. That Hank Snow album with the noose on the cover is chilling.

10. Wally Swift

Another great one, spinning now;

[​IMG]

Jimmy Martin - Country Music Time
    Decca, 1962

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

Unfortunately "Satan is Real" was not in the collection. There's 3 or 4 Louvin Brothers but not that one.

12. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

You Sir are one lucky duck.

13. theoctavist

theoctavist New Member

Jesus Christ. Country music is my thing. It is my hobby, obsession... ive been a student of it for a long time.

I am envious as all hell. Please leave it to me in the will. :)

or let me buy some!

ruben lopez likes this.
  14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Awesome find.

Darryl

15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

From the stickers on the LP covers, it looks like the majority of these were purchased from the bargain bin. I suspect the man scooped up these bargains every time he went to the store and never got around to listening to them all.

16. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Wow very cool. I want something like this to happen to me.

17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

If these were FREE, I hope you gave the widow a NICE gift. :cop:

18. Wally Swift

He was divorced 30 years ago and it's my understanding that she cleaned him out of everything but the records in the settlement.

19. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So these
    Oh, so his remaining possessions were being discarded? No one got his estate? Died alone with his records?:yikes:

20. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I finally got around to going through my deceased father-in-law's collection. Very similar to the find of the OP,
    very eclectic mix of county, old school country, bluegrass and some crooners. I ended up taking just over 3000
    LPs to 5 of my local Goodwill stores. Each got around 600 as that was about all they would take at one time.

I couldn't get any local used record shop to take them.......

21. Wally Swift

No, his sons cleaned out the house of everything they wanted because the house was being sold. We were informed that what was left was being discarded and we needed to get our dresser. Once I discovered the records my wife called the son just to make sure that it was ok to take them. The reply was "your husband has a record player and listens to that stuff? Great, take'm and enjoy!"

22. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

What a terrific find! I'm not a hardcore country fan either, but I DO like the older stuff....and recognize a lot of the names...

23. Jody

Jody Active Member

What a great fortune. I don't suppose you have a copy of the record simply titled "Country Jazz" by George Barnes. I've been looking for it for a long time, it comes up on ebay once in a while but gets bids too rich for me.

24. vinyltimm

vinyltimm Forum Resident

Wow--very cool score!

25. Wally Swift

I don't know that record. There was only one Jazz LP in the collection. It's called "Swingin' Stuff featuring Stuff Smith on Violin" with Kenny Drew - piano, Niels Henning Orsted Peterson - bass & Alex Riel - drums. Recorded live at Monmarte 3/23/65. Emarcy MGE-26008. Still Sealed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.