Amazon.com has some CRAZY CD PRICES right now!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cozzie, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Nice, great customer service. I've been a loyal customer for years and the great service is a big part of it.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Me too and they didn't give me a red cent as an apology! :realmad: I buy everything from them, from DVDs to dental floss. I bought a goddamn lawnmower!

3. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I e-mailed them about the cancelled discs last week after I saw that someone else had done the same, and I got a 17 dollar promotional credit. Looks like you got stiffed.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The hell I did! I'm going back in. They made one mistake; they double-crossed me and left me alive.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed. I called Amazon today about the eight CDs they cancelled. The first guy gave me the company line that they don't honor pricing errors. I then spoke to a manager, who said the same thing. He wouldn't restore the orders, but he gave me a $50 credit for my trouble (I was on hold for quite awhile waiting for the manager). I haven't checked, but $50 will probably get me the eight CDs at the regular prices.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Wow, the amounts that some of you are getting in free credits is amazing. I would not have expected that generous of an offer. (The $10 credit someone else mentioned getting, earlier in this thread, seemed more reasonable but still quite generous.)

This example is small potatoes, but I recently noticed a $1 charge on a credit card that I share with my wife. I have been snagging a lot of free Kindle books lately, and I figured Amazon charged me $1 by mistake, but I reviewed my recent free Kindle book "purchases" and couldn't find one with a $1 charge.

So I opened a chat window with Amazon customer service, and asked if he could tell me what the $1 charge is for. Rather than researching it (and as I was continuing my own research by opening up my credit card company's website to check my account details), the guy quickly replied that he'd credited my account for $1.

Ironically, I was just typing a reply into the chat window to "never mind, I just figured it out"... I saw on the account details of my credit card company's website that it was actually a $1 charge to my wife's card, not my own card.

Even after I let the guy know, he just told me to have a nice day.

I figured it costs less for CS to just refund a customer the $1 in that case, and move on to help the next customer, than take the time to research and track down what the charge is for, assess whether it's a valid complaint or not, etc.

(I checked with my wife later that day and she was able to find the $1 charge in her Amazon purchase history. Apparently a Kindle book that she thought was free actually cost $1; it's always a risk because their free Kindle books can revert to costing something, at any moment.)

Like I said, it's no comparison to the generous $50-71 credits some of you are getting for your efforts to complain or inquire about having your orders canceled due to pricing errors. Wow!

Craig.

7. KeithH

I gave the $50 credit to my wife. She wants some books.

8. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident Thread Starter

They can't even show some consistency in crediting our accounts. They really needed a fixed strategy to deal with this 'pricing error' situation.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

This thread has become stranger.

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

I doubt I'll call to haggle.. just not something I like to do but hats off to anyone that gets the credit...

11. lensteve

lensteve Member

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I simply will never understand when people get upset when they are unable to take advantage of a company's obvious mistake. Sorry, but the whole "they didn't honor their agreement" thing to me is just crap. It was a mistake...

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thank goodness for that. Lord knows you need more music. :winkgrin:

13. cdova1

cdova1 Forum Resident

I agree. I was pretty much thinking the same thing. While it ws fair to order cds at that time, it seems completely unreasonable, to me, to complain about the cancellations.

BTW, I was able to get in on the action toward the very end of the sale/mistake and got three cd orders in. Two were cancelled and one was sent with an SACD I ordered.

14. Amazon has secret ratings for each customers and how profitable each one is to them. Those ratings and what type of history you have with their customer service is available to each customer service rep as they go over the problem. Not every customer will be treated the same in their dealings with the reps.:shh:

15. helter

helter Forum Resident

This thread is like a documentary on cheapskates.... myself included.

First you complain because you didn't get your CD's for nothing and then you want a refund on the CD's you didn't get for nothing;)

16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

So we're all there in Amazon's little black book? I feel so dirty.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would wait for their next screw-up and then you can get at least 25 deluxe editions for the credit. :idea:

18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Interesting. Very interesting.

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Don't be so sure you're in the minority on that.

I'm one of those who feels there's nothing wrong with ordering CDs at those super-low prices - it's not our responsibility if Amazon makes a pricing mistake.

But, that said, I totally agree that if it's an error, then they have every right to cancel the orders.

Anyone who got your order shipped, good for you - but anyone who didn't has no business complaining IMHO.

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Glad to hear that a few more have the same opinion. This thread may top the old ones, did the box set b*tching hit the grand mark?

If PhantomStranger is correct with his statement can it not hurt you in the future with regards to customer service quality if you do not let things go here? ;)

21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm in your minority.

22. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

So your upset with Amazon that you couldn't get the "sale" price? I'm not sure we should be upset with them. You took a shot, it didn't work...oh well. Next time. :wave:

23. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident Thread Starter

As much as I hate to admit it, this little saga will probably result in me buying several of the 'mis-priced' CDs from Amazon that were not previously on my radar eg - The Remains, Pacific Ocean Blue Legacy Edition. So I'll take my $10 credit and Amazon wins again. Well played. :shh:

24. KeithH

I didn't exactly "complain" about the cancellations. Rather, I asked why some of my orders were cancelled when others were honored. The first person I spoke with simply stated the company line that they don't honor pricing errors. When I pushed a bit further to get the cancellations reversed, I was transferred to a manager. I was on hold about 10 minutes waiting for the manager. He also wouldn't reverse the cancellations, but he offered the $50 credit because of the long hold time. I wasn't looking for the credit, but I wasn't going to turn it down either.

25. KeithH

The people who are complaining the loudest are the ones who missed out completely. Since they couldn't get in on a deal, they'll preach about consumer ethics. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.