Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

On my laptop, I chose the HD/UltraHD option. I stream via USB cable to my Anthem STR preamp.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

3. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Unfortunately, no you haven't. The software literally does not work. It cannot stream bit-perfect music. The only way to achieve this with Amazon is to use a third party ecosystem, such as comes with the Bluesound Node.

McLover, Tim S and sunspot42 like this.
  4. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

What is this and about how much does it cost? Mine sounds great to me over USB to my preamp. But if this bit-perfect sounds clearly better, I might try it.

5. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

You are probably right, as when streaming "exclusive mode" the bitrate on my DAC is just whatever I have set my RME sample rate/depth to, not the rate/depth of the actual track. I'm only able to have bit perfect when playing my local or network file through Foobar2000 using the ASIO plugin,. In that case, my DAC shows the rate of the actual track I'm playing regardless of my Windows setting. What exactly IS exclusive mode in Amazon? When activated, I am unable to change the system volume (only can use my preamp's or DAC's volume) and no other applications will have any sound at all. So exclusive mode must be doing something! All that said, could one really tell the difference between truly bit perfect or not? My setup sounds VERY good and is indistinguishable from say, Tidal given the same track and master, as well as Foobar in ASIO. Would love to hear bit perfect and non compared with Amazon. Wonder what is holding them back.

TimM and mtrot like this.
  6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

It's a streamer that has proven quite popular, but it doesn't do anything for sound quality per se, it merely allows Amazon to run at the correct sample rate, which it otherwise cannot due to poor design.

What is holding them back is a very good question! I have found it to otherwise be a good service, but I have spent considerable sums of money on my hifi and have not done so to put a cheap software resampling process in the signal chain.

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

If Spotify ever offers bit perfect HD in exclusive mode I'll ditch Amazon and Tidal in a New York minute...;)

vegafleet and sunspot42 like this.
  8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No, I am using a Firestick 4K plugged into my A/V receiver.

9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Their sincere lack of caring.

sunspot42, Jeff Edwards and wgriel like this.
  10. Stereosound

Tim S likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Stereosound likes this.
  12. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Someone had mentioned about setting Audio Quality to HD/Ultra (as opposed to Best Available) to maintain consistency. After noticing that the setting would flip back to Standard without intervention by me, I've now done so. I'll see how that goes. The news-to-me Standard setting produced something less than the SQ I was expecting.

13. Stereosound

14. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Is this a Brexit thing? As in, higher prices for digital services homed outside of the UK? If so, then it's not going to be a worldwide phenom. Homemade UK physical product is notoriously expensive for the natives. There are certainly people unhappy to see the physical market crater there.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    sunspot42 likes this.
  17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

So-called "Headline inflation" in the US was 8.5% last month (for people who neither drive nor eat). But the true inflation numbers (for people who actually do both drive and eat) was much higher than that number. So the UK having a 9% "headline" number should make it only marginally higher than it is over here right now. But since the headline numbers are always fictitious, the odds are that the actual inflation in the UK is far higher than their official numbers as well.

mtrot likes this.
  18. Stereosound

With inflation being a problem I don’t see it meaning more physical sales. Although we do not have the ability to read the minds of the individuals that canceled and we do not know as to what they are spending that saved money on either. So who knows, just a guess.

19. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

In my part of the world yes they have moved from downloading/spotify/Itunes etc and are buying new and used vinyl IMHO....2 newish local independent vinyl shops are doing fairly well ATM....this stems I feel from not owning anything tangible whereas you buy the physical product and its yours, time will tell how long it will last.

20. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Well, I think this is a first for me on Amazon Music. I'm listening to the Sayonara soundtrack and it seems to be a vinyl record, complete with the ticks and pops! And on one track, I clearly heard the needle drop noise. What's strange is that there was a CD release(in 2001), albeit in Spain. Has anyone else noticed an LP record playing on Amazon Music?

[​IMG]

21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Id guess the source IS the EU CD, which is probably also a needle-drop.

frankfan1 and mtrot like this.
  22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

At the bottom does it say it’s by RCA/ Sony?

one of the few gripes I have about Amazon Music is it’s loaded with bootleg crap.

23. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

At the bottom on Amazon Music, it reads, Old Style.

On Discogs, the US LP release indicates,
    Entr'acte Recording Society

On the Spain CD release, Discogs indicates, RCA.

24. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

That's one of the things I like! Lotsa bootlegs. :laugh:

Some official releases are needledrops, no big deal.

TimM and ghostofzuul like this.
  25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone