Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

I’m listening to the service through Bluesound on my NAD 758 v3. So far I like the sound. Has anyone found 192/24 tracks yet? I tried the James Taylor Warner Bros. Albums on Tidal at 192/24 and the same title shows 96k on Amazon Music.

2. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Any word on Roon integration?

porieux and btltez like this.
  3. How is the interface?
    Any notes/liner notes/lyrics?

As others have said, I'll monitor the thread and may give it a shot at some point....

4. Bwilson1

Bwilson1 Forum Resident

Great - now how do I get this HD content into my Cambridge CXN as easily as Quobuz (via Mconnect HD using DLNA) ??

displayname and TarnishedEars like this.
  5. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I'm still bugged about the lack of consistency of the quality (check out the Quality column) ………….

[​IMG]

sami, PhantomStranger and TonyCzar like this.
  6. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

With Tidal there is plugin for the Squeezebox / Logitech media server that just works. If Amazon doesn't allow that I won't even consider it.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You're STILL bugged about the lack of consistency for something that launched today?

fluffskul, Freebird, gov and 8 others like this.
  8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Search for 'Hot Rocks'. You might find another listing with all UltraHD.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

To say the least regarding navigation. One other difference in the Bluesound Mac on screen app is that a Tidal search will indicate whether an album is CD or HR quality. With Amazon an indicator doesn't show until you play the track. For an album such as Hotel California with all its configurations, it can be a PIA.

Another Bluesound related observation, and perhaps (likely?) this is a record company rights issue, but I don't see any Columbia/Sony albums encoded in MQA/HR albums on Tidal, but Amazon is streaming them in HD.

10. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Yeah, maybe it's just me but this should have been discovered before launch since it appears Amazon is targeting this towards audiophiles or wanna be's. It's disconcerting knowing that the playback quality from one album will jump from 16/44.1 to 24/192, 176, 44.1, etc. Hopefully this will be worked out soon before my 90 days are up. I've used both Qobuz and Tidal and neither ever had this inconsistency.

mikedifr0923 and ClassicalCD like this.
  11. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Good suggestion incase there is more than one version but after searching I can only find this one with multiple sampling rates.

TonyCzar likes this.
  12. Billy Infinity

Gotcha. Yeah, that worked for me when I found the same scenario with the Bruford-era Yes albums.

britt2001b likes this.
  13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that when a song is playing you can tap on the "Ultra HD" and it will tell you the resolution.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Since Apple just finished its dog and pony show earlier in the month that focused on phones, tablets, watches, and their streaming video service, I wouldn't expect anything until the spring. For all the secrecy, all the big tech companies have a good sense of what and how each other is doing, so I wouldn't expect Apple to jump into HD audio streaming unless they saw a major opportunity to become Pepsi to Amazon's Coke. They would also need a hardware change so that their devices' chips can run at a higher rate than 48/24.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not quite ready for "prime" time for me -- I don't know that there are any Black Saint or Soul Note albums, so lots of jazz material I want to listen to is not here. No support for my Riva system except Chromecast from the phone app, and only then in less than 16/44.1 resolution. Worse library and device support than Spotify, not really better for my purposes in terms of audio quality/device support than Tidal. Unless something changes during my 90-day free trial, I probably won't roll over to paying subscriber. I was hoping Amazon would deliver a killer app -- ubiquitous platform support (but they seem to want to push everyone into an Alexa-enabled device), deepest library, no-glitch operation. But after spending some time with it tonight, I'm disappointed. Maybe it'll push Spotify into going up to at least 16/44.1, I'd probably dump everything else if Spotify did that.

Kyhl likes this.
  16. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

exactly what I want to know. just went on Roon forums and everybody is asking but nothing from Roon yet. I have a bad feeling...

britt2001b likes this.
  17. 500Homeruns

It's strange that the Android app reports my "Device Capability" as 24/48. My phone is an LG V30 and it can do 24/192. Hell, it can do DSD!

Christobal likes this.
  18. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

Anyone using an older iPhone or iPad with physical connection to your amp? How does that sound and what’s maximum bit rate you get that way?

19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Gotta love people saying, "Not ready for prime-time" less than twelve hours after launch.
    That's why there's a three-month trial.

I'd say it's amazing that they announced and launched on the same day. Qobuz has been in "beta" for a year!

fluffskul, Press and jethro like this.
  20. Billy Infinity

My Samsung Galaxy S10+ is also telling me 24/48. Weird - thought it could do more.

mtrot likes this.
  21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Just heard Amazon is doing an Echo event on the 25th....so some new hardware might be coming?

Johnny Wong, displayname and D700 like this.
  22. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Your Android device capabilities are meaningless if the app used does not bypass Android's native audio mixer.

ONLY certain apps, such as USB Audio Player PRO, can bypass this and have direct access to the full output of your device's DAC. The app is $7.99. Right now, Tidal & Qobuz are supported. Not positive, but, I'm pretty sure Amazon would have to arrange with the developer to add support.

iOS users have a max output of 24/48 without the use of a dongle and external DAC.

jy3iix, ClassicalCD, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  23. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I hope your feeling is wrong. Roon would supply more album and artist information with synopsis and credits, etc. Amazon HD seems to provide none of this. This demonstrates a big difference between Qobuz and Amazon HD since Qobuz does provide a good amount of album and artist info. Of course there is a difference in price between Qobuz and Amazon HD.

ChristopherTeuma and btltez like this.
  24. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

Thanks

25. 500Homeruns

I sent Davy (USB Audio Player Pro) an email earlier today asking about incorporating Amazon HD. He replied, "Can't comment now, sorry."

Billy Infinity and oneway23 like this.