Amazon HD Music goes live

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BubbaMc, Sep 17, 2019.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Good luck with that over time.

2. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Its working just fine so far...no monthly internet bill...4 players in house...n lots of discs
    Ymmv

Hell im getting old...soon I'll be deaf or dead anyway
    Have a great time paying n paying n paying FOREVER

Staxus and BZ58 like this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And yet here you are, on an Internet forum.

Library user? I know there's at least one forum member in that situation (not certain if that was you). What happens when an artist you love decides to release something as a download / streaming format only?

sunspot42 and Press like this.
  4. Audiowannabee

Internet thru smartphone...ill download it to usb n play it off that or get the CD release...but i doubt ill be buying new music thats not on some sort of disc...CD sacd bluray

5. audiomixer

So if you want new music, you still have to “pay n pay n pay”, correct?

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Audiowannabee

I can truly live w/o new music...i buy used CDs for $1...spend a lot on multi channel music n my favorite artists r old like me

Thing is i buy a disc n have it forever...U streamers pay for internet EVERY month...pay for subscription Every month...i pay only one time!
    Much cheaper imho

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

A smartphone is a computer, keep in mind.

You're paying for Internet access each month, through your cell plan. So it's not like you aren't "paying for air" already or "renting the Internet" or whatever we want to call it.

As for new music...to each his own, no worries.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Audiowannabee

@audiomixer

Question
    What age group u fall into?
    20-30
    30-40
    40-50
    50-60
    Over 60?

And how much u spend on monthly internet bill???
    $50
    $100
    $200???
    Now multiply by the rest of your lifeline considering the ups n downs of job loss income ups n downs ..health issues etc...
    Yeah its all great when ur young strong making bookoo bucks...not so much when u get older ur income goes to hell ur health takes a dump...etc
    Then think about how much $$$ u pissed away on watching t.v. n renting music!!!

9. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Just signed up to HD; streaming through iPhone 6 using NAD bluos app. 1st impression: DAMN!!! Playing what’s going on in 24/96 - 192. My Oppo may get a long deserved rest

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    black sheriff, timind and Freebird like this.
  10. This may be true. And it does not bother me, because I have almost always been able to find the same used titles for sale on Ebay or Discogs, at lower prices and with more accurate grading and dependable service. I bought a used CD from an Amazon seller and the disc actually had a crack in it (probably occurred during shipping in which case it should have been packed better). I mostly buy new CDs from Amazon and find the used ones I want elsewhere.

Returning to the topic, I am waiting for them to implement exclusive audio device mode with HD streaming and until then I'm holding off on trying or buying, despite the attractive price.

sunspot42 and allegro like this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

One of my favorite arguments on this topic. And btw I know you directed this @audiomixer but since you're posting in a thread on a service that you obviously have no intention of using, it's fair game for anyone to reply.

First off...you're paying a monthly cellphone plan right now to post on this forum. Not such how that is less "pissing away" your hard earned cash versus an Internet plan...it's apples and oranges. And, in both cases, it's a service plan like any other plan...when you pay your electric bill, you have nothing to show for that either but you still use that utility. Or a water bill or a cable bill (except in your case, I assume).

But you don't want to rent music. That's fine, but amazingly there are people out the who actually do get something out of the service offering and are willing to pay a monthly fee for it.

12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Exactly! Prior to Amazon HD, I had their service for my son to get started with music. I also used it for the occasional album curiosity, audition, etc. The quality was lacking for serious use. All I want is CD quality and care nothing about hi-res. The cost of the alternatives was just too much. Now the price for Amazon HD is scaled appropriately for my target use. I am slowly integrating it into my listening habits now. CDs will always be the core of my collection, but now streaming is a strong secondary activity. It will be one that I won't mind pulling the plug if the value falls aways.

There will always be albums missing from streaming (or al least good masterings not there). For those, I will save them for my library trips to checkout and audition.

13. PitreVert

PitreVert Active Member

Hi everyone. New here but I read you for ages.
    As I live in France, I can not test the service yet but I'm quite interested.
    For me, the price argument is pointless. Music is so cheap today, it's ridiculous.
    I saw Joker yesterday and I paid 16 euros (about 20$) for 2 hours of (really good) movie.
    And this month, I paid 13 euros I believe for about 60 hours of Spotify.
    I would prefer that all providers try to increase their catalogues and the quality of their services instead of fighting on the price.

Sordel and timind like this.
  14. Audiowannabee

Spend ur $$$ how u wish...i dont want to give spectrum or att $100+ per month for TV n internet

Atleast when their ready to cart me off to the old folks home or bury me there will be physical items to trade or sell to help w the costs...the next generation of streamers / renters will not have anything to sell or trade...think about it

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yep, those CD collections are going to be really valuable . . .

uofmtiger, timind and Coltrane811 like this.
  16. Audiowannabee

Look at the rise n fall of vinyl...CDs may or maynot follow the same pattern

Some of the Sacds n Dvda s ive bought as little as a year ago have tripled or quadradropled in value

Atleast its something that could be sold or traded
    Streamers have thin air!

17. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Don't get this thread shut down because you can't restrain yourself. I and many others want to hear updates, comments, and tips regarding Amazon Music HD.

18. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

This turned into a physical media vs streaming thread.
    I'm out. Maybe I will go find a discussion I don't give a **** about and post something in there to mess with people.

timind, Greenalishi and Tim S like this.
  19. Audiowannabee

Just trying to give some of u youngins something to think about...continue your amazon vs spotify discussion...

Im out of here

20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I'm almost 50 years old with 2 systems (including 2 turntables) and more CD's, vinyl LP's, EP's and 45's than my wife would prefer.
    But good lookin' out Pop's.

timind and Greenalishi like this.
  21. audiomixer

I’m almost 68 years old.
    My internet bill is around $50 per month; I have a bundle deal.
    My income hasn’t gone to hell; I’ve invested wisely & always lived below my means.
    I have enough physical media to last 10 lifetimes.
    I enjoy streaming music & video because it is cheaper than buying every CD or Blu-ray I want to experience.
    I’ve pissed away more money on physical media in my lifetime than I’ll ever spend on the internet or streaming!
    Any other questions?

Sordel, uofmtiger, D700 and 3 others like this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't purchase music as an investment. I purchase them for my enjoyment.

My investments are handled separately.

23. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Agreed. I own a decent amount of vinyl, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio content, but there is so much more out there. My problem is that I have such eclectic musical tastes and want to listen to so much varied content that I could never afford to purchase all of it. $12.00/month and I can listen to millions of tracks in CD or better quality, seems like a decent deal to me.

britt2001b, audiomixer and Gaslight like this.
  24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Is there a way to transfer Spotify playlist over to Amazon Music HD?

No doubt about it, Amazon’s music service sounds great.

black sheriff and ukrules like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

PATB and 500Homeruns like this.